Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Performance Worth It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This actually gave me a lot of insights that I had in my head, but seeing it written out opened my eyes much more. I knew that the costs would be higher with the performance parts, but I didn't consider as many as you listed here (especially their costs). This definitely helped a lot, so thank you for this.
FYI, the Model X comes standard with 20” wheels on up to 22” so it’s a wash when comparing the two models. The other “performance” parts are negligible unless one plans to replace the spoiler or red brake calipers regularly. I’d be more concerned with the falcon wing doors than anything on the 3. Sounds like you need to right down your priorities in a car.

I don't want to convince you not to buy the performance package. I just think it's best to buy it knowing what you're getting into so you don't get surprised or regret it later down the road. I've got the P3D and I love it. But I spend all winter in "Chill" mode, so I don't really get much of the benefit of the Performance package, but I still have the efficiency loss plus the cost of winter wheels to fit better winter tires. Knowing all of that getting into the car made it that much more enjoyable.

Its definitely not swaying me, but it did give me insight that I didnt have before. Considering this car will see lots and lots of miles (Im self employed and do a lot of car travel for work on the east coast), Im sure I would burn through performance tires just with everyday use faster than I would be enjoyed that performance speed boost. That is really helping me decide which way most. I still got a kick out of the non-performance model 3 when test driving one and showing my parents. If even that still makes me smile, Im sure I will be happy either way.

Reactions: mswlogo
FYI, the Model X comes standard with 20” wheels on up to 22” so it’s a wash when comparing the two models. The other “performance” parts are negligible unless one plans to replace the spoiler or red brake calipers regularly. I’d be more concerned with the falcon wing doors than anything on the 3. Sounds like you need to right down your priorities in a car.

Im coming from owning a 2011 Camaro and a Ford Escape. After having both, I have become more of a SUV person. Not really for the cargo space (the model 3 has enough for me and girlfriend to travel for weeks at a time when out for work with seats down), but for the higher sitting height and being more visible on the road. That's why I was considering the X as well. But money and amount wanting to spend is the biggest factor there. The size of the wheels was more the longevity of them. Performance tires vs standard. I've heard about issues with the FWD so that always has me a little concerned, especially if out on a work trip. I know theres a weird tax loophole with self employment and the X (have read the thread), so there is that going for it for me.

• Would you save money by just buying a brake upgrade instead of the Performance package?
Does Tesla have a brake upgrade package for M3-AWD? I did a spirited backroad drive recently and I was impressed by the overall performance, however, one weak link was the standard brakes for that kind of driving. It would be nice if I could upgrade to the P3D+ brakes.

Does Tesla have a brake upgrade package for M3-AWD? I did a spirited backroad drive recently and I was impressed by the overall performance, however, one weak link was the standard brakes for that kind of driving. It would be nice if I could upgrade to the P3D+ brakes.

Tesla doesn't, but vendors do! You'd probably benefit from getting new brake pads and maybe stainless lines as a first step. That should give better initial bite and a firmer pedal feel.

Unplugged Performance Sport Brake Pad Set for Tesla Model 3

That was one of the things that had me leaning towards performance, but considering I may use this as a work/travel vehicle (self employed) I'd be putting a lot of miles on it and hearing about the performance tires pretty much locked it in for me.
Looks as if you have already decided. I have both the RWD LR (no longer sold) and the P without the sport wheels, brakes, etc. (no longer sold). After my experience with 20” sport wheels on my Model S P85, I would not get low profile wheels/tires due to easy sidewalk blowouts, quick wear, and reduced range. The added traction just not worth it. It is unfortunate that Tesla no longer offers the P without. And, unfortunately, you could not sell the wheels and put on Aeros because the P brakes would not fit.

If I were buying today, I would buy the AWD and hope that at some point in the future Tesla offers a paid upgrade that unlocks more power. The consensus on this forum is that the P drive unit is the same as the AWD, and that the only difference is software unlock. It would be an easy pure profit lever for Tesla to pull some day! Not saying they will... but they probably could...

Reactions: steve in socal
If I were buying today, I would buy the AWD and hope that at some point in the future Tesla offers a paid upgrade that unlocks more power. The consensus on this forum is that the P drive unit is the same as the AWD, and that the only difference is software unlock. It would be an easy pure profit lever for Tesla to pull some day! Not saying they will... but they probably could...

That is exactly what Im hoping for. But if they don't, I don't see myself being too disappointed. Maybe by the time I can know for sure about even if I can charge one at my apartment or not, it might become available haha.

I was on the fence with AWD vs stealth. Ended up getting stealth and absolutely can't be happier. Even before the 5k refund recently.

However, for your type of driving and because stealth is no longer an option, I would go AWD.

PUP is not cost effective in many ways as already addressed in prior posts.

Dang, I wish that was available now. That would be exactly what I'd go for. Shoot, by the time my apartment approves or denies me being able to charge at my garage, they might have a new option rolled out anyway haha.

You might want to see if there are any “Stealth” 3s for sale lightly used.

I have a “P3D-” with 18-inch Aeros and have found it the perfect compromise.

I love to give test drives and rides to friends and family. For me the premium for the 3.3 second 0-60mph is totally worth it just for the passenger reactions. But if it were just me commuting I would have been happy with even the base Model 3.

It is fun to show off to friends and family. But how many friends and family do you have?
I have my performance in chill mode 99% of time driving alone, avoiding tickets and trying for good range.

You will get used to what ever acceleration you have.