Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Phantom Braking Still a Problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It happened again this morning on the way to work. I was in the left of three lanes, no cars in front of me, and was overtaking a work van who was in the middle lane. The van was in the far side of the lane, steady, not a threat, but my car braked 10 mph to match the van's speed and paced it for about 20 seconds before it accelerated back to speed and passed it. Thankfully nobody behind me, the van and I were the only cars within 2000 feet. Similar situations with large trucks and a clear lane ahead, seems to be a pattern. Can't wait for the new version!

I've consistently seen similar, as I posted above. My car seems to want to brake below the speed of the truck rather than to match it.

The interesting thing about this thread is practically no one indicates what software version they are running. This issue varies depending on version. For me and my MX, I haven't had a phantom braking incident in the last 1200 miles of interstate driving. I'm running 2021.4.16 and most of those miles were on .15

The interesting thing about this thread is practically no one indicates what software version they are running. This issue varies depending on version. For me and my MX, I haven't had a phantom braking incident in the last 1200 miles of interstate driving. I'm running 2021.4.16 and most of those miles were on .15

I stay current on updates as soon as they're pushed to my car. I'd also hazard a guess that most people in this thread aren't hanging on to a legacy version for some reason.

I use AP virtually every time I drive. Passing cars and trucks is a non-event. I've never had "phantom braking" other than the car coasting for a few seconds at some specific over/under passes. I think it's confusing up the speed limits in those cases.

AP is very timid around cyclists and it'll slow down when passing them, even when there's lots of space. This happens all the time on Foothill Expressway which has heavy cyclist traffic so I stay in the passing lane.

Fair point, I'm running 2021.4.15 on my Model Y, phantom braking is still a regular occurrence, usually at least once daily. That said, I use the software every time I drive on the interstate, which is five days a week, so Tesla has more data to crunch. the FSD is one of the main reasons I purchased the car.

I have 2021.4.15 and can’t remember the last one I had. I use autopilot and FSD daily. I do have annoying yellow flashing lights that induce slowing, but since they are in the same spot everyday I just accelerate through them.

I feel like I’m a weirdo here. In 5 months and 4000 miles of ownership its phantom braked on me once now. (I run AP whenever I get on the highway)
My old Honda clarity would phantom brake on me once every week or two. The Tesla system has been a dream compared to the Honda adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist.

I have a Model S for 3 years now. I am based in Switzerland. I don't go on many long trips but I have just been on a 1000km round trip on motorways / Autoroutes and I had at least 2 scary phantom breaking experiences on the trip. I say scary as I was not expecting them and I can see that they can be dangerous when not expected. My 2 examples are linked to when entering a tunnel or passing under a bridge with Shadow on the road and with a vehicle or lorry on my right side. Now that I read that it is an experience that others have had I can understand why some Tesla drivers would be reluctant to use the cruise control function. I will still use it I think but with more caution. If I understand correctly this does not happen in other branded cars cruise control as they use a different basis to manage the cruise control ? Can someone advise on that ? My friend who was with my is an Audi driver and was quite shocked by the Model S Cruise Control behaviour.
Is Tesla cruise control is a GPS based system as opposed to what ? Thanks for any replies

Still on 2021.4.15 on my Model Y, happened twice today on my way to work, again nobody ahead of me but overtaking a vehicle in the adjacent lane and a 10 mph deceleration. It seems to always happen in the same general area on my drive, no bridges or overpasses there to trigger it. I would say that was a coincidence, but my Y always works its way over to the right hand lane at exactly the same spot just past an exit I never take, every day on my way home. There's definitely something about that location because it is so specific and so consistent.

All this should go away with the rewrite.

I have phantom braking literally every day. Shadows on a curved road are autopilot's nemesis, along with thousands of other scenarios that I encounter all the time. I honestly can't believe people are paying $10K for FSD. It's just silly... so completely far away from useful. There are probably hundreds of thousands of edge cases for these guys to figure out before you should trust one of these things to not kill you, and figuring them out along the way will continue to create more and more new edge cases. There is no way level 5 autonomy is going to ever really be possible without unimaginable breakthrough advances in AI, and level 4 still feels so incredibly far away.

Reactions: Gadget63
I have phantom braking literally every day. Shadows on a curved road are autopilot's nemesis, along with thousands of other scenarios that I encounter all the time. I honestly can't believe people are paying $10K for FSD. It's just silly... so completely far away from useful. There are probably hundreds of thousands of edge cases for these guys to figure out before you should trust one of these things to not kill you, and figuring them out along the way will continue to create more and more new edge cases. There is no way level 5 autonomy is going to ever really be possible without unimaginable breakthrough advances in AI, and level 4 still feels so incredibly far away.
I'm not sure if Autopilot is better if you have FSD. I've had FSD since day 1 and although I've had a few phantom braking my Autopilot basically doesn't have any phantom braking anymore. I guess not all cars are the same or there's a difference in Autopilot if you also have FSD, who knows but i'm sorry yours sucks so bad. I would be pushing reports to Tesla after every one and then have their Tech's look at it.

It happens once in awhile. I'm starting to think it happens when I'm overtaking another vehicle. I think the car sees the shadow being cast from the other vehicle. Just my theory so far. It happens so rarely but the last couple of times fit my above example.

I'm not sure if Autopilot is better if you have FSD. I've had FSD since day 1 and although I've had a few phantom braking my Autopilot basically doesn't have any phantom braking anymore. I guess not all cars are the same or there's a difference in Autopilot if you also have FSD, who knows but i'm sorry yours sucks so bad. I would be pushing reports to Tesla after every one and then have their Tech's look at it.
Interesting approach. I will try it. I don't seem to have any luck with the reports though... have probably filed speed limit bugs 50X around my area and nothing ever changes. I probably sound like a debbie downer which sucks because I LOVE this car. It's just--you know--great to actually just old-school drive :)

Did it twice this morning in the first 4 miles of my drive to work, then I turned it off. I have a 44 mile round trip commute, about 3/4 on interstate, three lanes each way, and the car averages more than one phantom braking episode on each leg of the drive. Almost all cases involve a clear lane ahead, overtaking a car in an adjacent lane, no evidence of anyone moving into the lane ahead of me, 2021.4.18

Car seems to be getting much more tentative when overtaking a vehicle in an adjacent lane. Hard decelerations of 15-20 mph are either going to get me rear ended or involved in a road rage incident for brake checking the guy behind me.

And this morning in the first two miles of my drive on the interstate. Same situation, I was in the middle lane overtaking an 18 wheeler in the right lane. No other vehicles in sight in front of me. The truck I was overtaking was in the far side of his lane, very steady, not weaving or acting like he was moving toward my lane, and my Y did a HARD 20 mph deceleration.

I love the car, one of the main reasons I bought it was the FSD since it should be a 20-25 year car for me and the FSD can tote me around as I lose my edge with age (68 now). I'm patient, can wait for the real deal to come out, and am not disappointed in its current performance. But I am perplexed. When I bought the car June 2020 the phantom braking episodes were infrequent and were pretty predictable, I could tell which circumstances could trigger it -- overpass coming up, car in the next lane ahead of me swerving toward my lane, etc. Now it is multiple times per day, no visible threat whatsoever, and really hard decelerations. I wonder what has changed, and why some others aren't seeing this behavior at all. 2021.4.18