Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is software insured?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m purchasing my first Tesla and not quite sold on the FSD Capability yet (until I try it) which would add another $6,000 to the price of the car. Let’s say I add this to the car later, making the total price $46,000. Now let’s imagine the car is involved in an accident. It’s just under the threshold of being totaled. With or without FSD Capability, it costs the same to fix. Now let’s imagine the car is involved in a different accident, but this time the car is deemed to be totaled. If I had purchased FSD Capability, the car is now more expensive to replace than before I had purchased FSD Capability. Does anyone know how this works from an adjusters perspective?

I’m purchasing my first Tesla and not quite sold on the FSD Capability yet (until I try it) which would add another $6,000 to the price of the car. Let’s say I add this to the car later, making the total price $46,000. Now let’s imagine the car is involved in an accident. It’s just under the threshold of being totaled. With or without FSD Capability, it costs the same to fix. Now let’s imagine the car is involved in a different accident, but this time the car is deemed to be totaled. If I had purchased FSD Capability, the car is now more expensive to replace than before I had purchased FSD Capability. Does anyone know how this works from an adjusters perspective?

You probably need to speak to your insurance company to find out how it works for both your company and your state.

It's one of the reasons I got it at time of purchase though so it was counted as coming with the car when ordered rather than any sort of later add-on

FSD is a feature that adds value to the appraiser's valuation report. just like any other feature that adds value (if the appraiser does their job correctly, that is). We recently had to review a valuation report from our insurance company* and correct oversights, like missing premium interior and autopilot, etc.

*The valuation report actually came from a third party because state law requires that accident valuation reports for determining repair/total status be done by an independent entity to avoid conflict of interest by the insurance4 company.

Reactions: C141medic

In simple terms....

Your new software would be married to your VIN.

Now...with that in mind....please make sure you appropriately insure that software. If you don't let your insurance company know that you have increased the value of your car...they might not repay ( compensate ) you for it if your car is totaled.

You might say to yourself....."But that would increase my insurance rates". Sure...it might, but then if your car is totaled......

You have to make that decision for yourself.

The answer is a huge "it depends" for your local environment and insurers. Most accurate to ask them if and how they could do it.

Where I am, the insurers have no way of assigning the value of FSD after purchase, nor any software added feature costing money.

My insurance company did indeed assigned the value of FSD to the purchase price because it will NEVER depreciate.

They will cover it in the same way they would any other expensive accessory.

My insurance company did indeed assigned the value of FSD to the purchase price because it will NEVER depreciate.

They will cover it in the same way they would any other expensive accessory.

See, my insurer laughs at you for buying expensive accessories. At least, that's what people with sound systems, engine mods, suspension setups, etc. have said.

I find it hard to believe an insurer believes FSD's value to the vehicle will never depreciate. That's not in their best business interest at all, and insurance is definitely business minded above all else.

You know what I mean...

Sure- but by the same token- for many drivers the "next trim level" won't add any functional value to them, while FSD may do so.

A guy who doesn't care about stoplight racing or track racing isn't gonna get much out of going AWD->P but he might get a lot of value out of auto lane changes, NoA, etc. Heck same guy in a good weather state might not get anything out of going RWD->AWD either but might from FSD.

Looks like he is sitting an an sr+ for 46000. There is undeniable utility in going from sr+ to long range...

Given the average american drives less than 30 miles a day- it's not so undeniable.

Now, guy who routinely drives >400 miles (or I guess more than ~200 but less than ~275) in a single day? Sure. But that's pretty rare.

For the average american? Not so much.

I guess the stereo is better, so there's that :)

See, my insurer laughs at you for buying expensive accessories. At least, that's what people with sound systems, engine mods, suspension setups, etc. have said.

I find it hard to believe an insurer believes FSD's value to the vehicle will never depreciate. That's not in their best business interest at all, and insurance is definitely business minded above all else.

Laughs at you?

Do you care what your insurer thinks?

Really? do you?

In simple terms....

Your new software would be married to your VIN.

Now...with that in mind....please make sure you appropriately insure that software. If you don't let your insurance company know that you have increased the value of your car...they might not repay ( compensate ) you for it if your car is totaled.

You might say to yourself....."But that would increase my insurance rates". Sure...it might, but then if your car is totaled......

You have to make that decision for yourself.

It's not "married to the VIN" in the insurance companies eyes.

If you got the car wrapped, do you think insurance company will replace it. Or upgraded the Stereo.

Tesla really should let owners purchase the software into their account. That way insurance stays out of it and you don't get screwed on trades, 3rd party dealers etc.

It's not "married to the VIN" in the insurance companies eyes.

If you got the car wrapped, do you think insurance company will replace it. Or upgraded the Stereo.

Tesla really should let owners purchase the software into their account. That way insurance stays out of it and you don't get screwed on trades, 3rd party dealers etc.

Hold on...really?...... read my entire post carefully.

I wasn't giving an explanation of the view of the insurance company. <---- That's 100% true.

My answer to the OP was that.....FSD will be tied to the VIN. <--------That's 100% true.

NOW read the rest of my post where I said clearly. You will have to change your insurance coverage to include FSD. <------ That's also 100% true.

Allstate will do it, because I did it with them <-------That's also 100% true.

Allstate calls it "full accident replacement". Upload your Tesla receipts to Allstate. They give you a price quote.....and whala… that's it. Covering FSD costs me $0.72 per month more.

Allstate also covers me for how much I owe ( loan ) which changes monthly.

I don't see what the problem is.

Tesla can do whatever they want, however we must do what we have to do to protect our investments.

Given the average american drives less than 30 miles a day- it's not so undeniable.

Now, guy who routinely drives >400 miles (or I guess more than ~200 but less than ~275) in a single day? Sure. But that's pretty rare.

For the average american? Not so much.

I guess the stereo is better, so there's that :)

better stereo, maps, traffic, lighting, rear heated seats, cooler looking stickers. Come on man!

I agree with you about the battery, which is why I mistakenly bought a sr+ with fsd instead of a lr awd sans fsd.

I still use the fsd features, but like I said you can add that later..

Last edited: