Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Is Tech Package worth getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just a question, for those that said tech package is a must, what version are you planning to get: 40, 60, or 85k battery? I am just curious to see how many 40k will get the tech package rather than 60 k?

40kWh. I might try to stretch the 60kWh but the 40kWh will cover all my driving needs that the 60kWh will.

I am of the all (85kWh) or nothing (40kWh, or smallest that meets daily driving needs) philosophy when it comes to battery size.

For me it would be useless...Several people including myself would not buy the Model S if the "Tech Package" was not either included in some trim levels or an option
Perhaps it's semantics. There's a big difference, to me, between "worth while" and "useless".

A car without an engine is useless. A car with normal headlights instead of Xenon? Not useless.

Perhaps it's semantics. There's a big difference, to me, between "worth while" and "useless".

A car without an engine is useless. A car with normal headlights instead of Xenon? Not useless.

Yes. I think it's a matter of perspective too; please don't accuse me of 'class warfare' :) but, IMHO, there are a lot of folks on here who are not price-sensitive at all and would have gobbled up many more options (automatic cruise control, lane departure warning, blind spot detection etc.) at almost any price if Tesla had provided them.

It appears that stealthnhawk is more price-conscious and I think, investing in range may indeed make more sense to him if on a fixed budget / maximum outlay. For my stretched-to-the-limit budget, I've given up any dreams of getting the pano roof and air suspension to be able to get the 85 kWh pack (and earlier delivery) instead.

I'd much rather have the tech package (and most other options for that matter; pano-roof, active air suspension, etc.) than more range. These options are things I'll enjoy 100% of the time I use the car, while range more than 160 miles would be used less than 1% of my driving (and likely most everyone's driving). All that money for something that rarely gets used. Rather rent a car for long trips.

I'd much rather have the tech package (and most other options for that matter; pano-roof, active air suspension, etc.) than more range. These options are things I'll enjoy 100% of the time I use the car, while range more than 160 miles would be used less than 1% of my driving (and likely most everyone's driving). All that money for something that rarely gets used. Rather rent a car for long trips.

Fair enough. However, it's worth noting that, apart from range, the larger the pack, the greater the following benefits (which, apart from the earlier delivery, one'd arguably enjoy 100% of the time when using the car):

packs.png

This is same thing has come to mind as well but I have just a little different thought on what should be standard or tech package:

Should be Standard feature:
Xenon headlamps
LED foglights
Convenience lighting
Turn-by-turn navigation with TWO years of free map updates
Automatic keyless entry

Should be a Tech Package feature:
Electrochromatic side mirrors
Power rear liftgate
High definition back-up camera
Homelink
Turn-by-turn navigation with SEVEN years of free map updates

Last edited:
Fair enough. However, it's worth noting that, apart from range, the larger the pack, the greater the following benefits (which, apart from the earlier delivery, one'd arguably enjoy 100% of the time when using the car):

View attachment 6240

Well I rarely actually do 0-60. And when I do I rarely do it in less than 7 seconds.
I pretty much never drive more than 100mph, much less 110.
I plan on hitting ~100,000 miles after about 5-6 years. So the longer warranty might come into play, it might not.
Supercharging might be a real benefit. I still don't think driving a 60kWh S to Charlotte (250 miles), or Florence, SC (310 miles) would be something that I would want to do. I am quite the impatient driver.
And my 7,701 number means I won't have to wait for any battery style.

Granted those are benefits, but I would contest that you rarely, if ever, use them.

This is same thing has come to mind as well but I have just a little different thought on what should be standard or tech package:

Should be Standard feature:
Xenon headlamps
LED foglights
Convenience lighting
Turn-by-turn navigation with TWO years of free map updates
Automatic keyless entry

Should be a Tech Package feature:
Electrochromatic side mirrors
Power rear liftgate
High definition back-up camera
Homelink
Turn-by-turn navigation with SEVEN years of free map updates
In that case, how much extra would you pay for the base car with the features versus the Tech Pkg? I see that tech pkg and think ~$2000 could be fair.

I'd lump Homelink in with Standard and LED foglights with tech package, imho. Not that I plan to use either for my own car.

I am not terribly price conscious but for me the tech package just does not provide enough value. The turn by turn nav is not important to me. I rarely need directions for the places I travel in the Seattle area or in my occasional trips to Portland or Vancouver BC. In the few times that I do the Nokia Drive software on my phone is excellent.
I would be more interested in the tech package if it had more things that I considered luxurious options. Examples would include ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, adaptive cruise control, heads up display, etc. To me the Model S is not a luxury car and after spending the 3700 dollars it still wouldn't feel like one. I just have a subjective bar that hasn't been met for me with this package.

I think the biggest thing for me is TBT navigation. In the luxury segment this is an absolute must for the convenience and the potential resale value. If I were buying a used Tesla Model S this is an absolute must have. ....

Not to mention, how silly wouldn't it look to slap a little Garmin on the windshield just above a huge 17" screen...

Well I rarely actually do 0-60. And when I do I rarely do it in less than 7 seconds.
Are you saying you rarely go above 60mph or that you rarely get there quickly? If it's the latter you'll find yourself doing it a lot more often once you have an EV. It's so much more fun than all the wailing and thrashing of thousands of mechanical bits and tons of explosions. Accelerating an ICE quickly always feels like you're hurting it while w/ a Tesla it just wants you to do it again :p

Are you saying you rarely go above 60mph or that you rarely get there quickly? If it's the latter you'll find yourself doing it a lot more often once you have an EV. It's so much more fun than all the wailing and thrashing of thousands of mechanical bits and tons of explosions. Accelerating an ICE quickly always feels like you're hurting it while w/ a Tesla it just wants you to do it again :p

I go 60 a lot. I get there quickly a lot, I just start at a non 0 speed.

Right now my car can go 0-60 in "6.9 seconds". I push it to about 90% of max acceleration on the interstate fairly often, normally ~40-85 range.

I know that the 60kWh will go quicker than the 40kWh, especially in the 40-80 mph range. I just don't think I will actually push it all the way. Especially in a that huge of a car.

I was mostly pointing out that under 'normal' driving habits you aren't going to see anything but range from the 60kWh.

EDIT: Sadly I almost always catch someone on the onramp when I punch it. And most of the surface streets near me are not safe or are too crowded to drive at 60. I do 40-80 on the interstate a lot though.

Last edited:
Not to take this thread off topic, but has anyone thought that if one has to struggle to purchase a $50,000 - $60,000 car then maybe one should reconsider the priority of buying such an expensive car? Even if it is totally KICK ASS?

Also, I agree with the regret one can have if certain options aren't done at the time of purchase. I bought a 2009 Mini Cooper with halogen headlights. I wanted to upgrade to Xenon afterwards and was told by the dealer that it would cost me at least $3500. Now that's not worth it no matter what tax bracket you belong in.

Most likely getting a 60 with the tech package here, but I feel that
1. Homelink should be standard (it's not ok in my book to have that thing clipped to the sun visor)
2. I wish the power lift gate came with the under-bumper sensor so you can wave your foot and it opens
3. I'd like to see how the base navi works without TBT. You can still plot out a route right? And your current position will still be tracked right? What you're missing is the voice that says "make a U-turn if possible"?
4. Why only 7 years of map updates? Isn't it google maps? It should be updated forever! Again, what does the non-tech-package car have?
5. I'm looking forward to some of these conveniences that "once you have them you can't go back". This car will propel me into the 21st century (automotively at least).

Finally, I'm guessing the profit on the tech package is more than on the battery upgrade, so for the sake of the stock price I hope everyone gets the tech package!

I would also like to add that there is one more important issue for resale. You probably can not add the tech package after purchase for anything resembling the origjnal price.
Going from a 40kWh to a 60kWh battery on the other hand is done in 5 minutes. A 5 year old Model S with an original 40kWh might as well get a battery upgrade right after or right before you sell it. At that point doing anything about the tech package is probably too late.

Cobos

That seems serious hyperbole. There's not much in the tech package I really care about except the upgraded headlights and electrochromatic mirrors.

Yeah, same here. I only really care about the xenons, but they are worth the whole$3750 for me. Meaning I'd pay $3750 for them if they were a separate option. The rest of the tech package I'd probably get if the price were $1000 or less.

The Xenons are worth it to me. They're probably $2,000 retail anyway so the rest of the stuff might or might not be worth it but I agree. If you ever plan on selling the car, you'll probably be much better off with the tech package. To me, it's a must have option.

I am not terribly price conscious but for me the tech package just does not provide enough value.

This is the response that resonates with me the most.

Price is not the issue with the tech package (yes, I see that it is a *package* :) ). I have long been a person who needs to see the value in anything that I purchase and not to simply purchase something because I can or because it is collectively felt to be one of those things that we all should buy because we're paying premium dollar for something.

I don't know that the remote control issue is exactly analogous. We're talking about ancient technology next to old technology wrt the remote control. The Tesla seems to be cutting edge and these tech features, well, how much more value do they really add?

The turn by turn nav is not important to me. I rarely need directions for the places I travel in the Seattle area or in my occasional trips to Portland or Vancouver BC. In the few times that I do the Nokia Drive software on my phone is excellent.

I use navigation about only a few times per month. My daily commute is 15 miles and rarely do a I go places that I don't know how to get to. But, I love navigation! This is a winner for me.

I would be more interested in the tech package if it had more things that I considered luxurious options. Examples would include ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, adaptive cruise control, heads up display, etc. To me the Model S is not a luxury car and after spending the 3700 dollars it still wouldn't feel like one. I just have a subjective bar that hasn't been met for me with this package.

Agreed.

I think the biggest "tech" feature that has me pining for more is the pathetically small local storage for music. Yes, we're all using cloud devices, and maybe that's where it is all heading. But, 500 songs? Really? At 160 kps with average length of 3:30mins, that's ... what, 2 GB? :frown: