Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla Y better than other all electric SUVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The R1S is not in a similar price range. Comparably configured, it is 50% more expensive than a MYLR. The R1S will be comparable to the Model X, in a couple years when you could actually get an R1S.

A friend has one, at the original price, and it is freakishly awesome. But it is not a MY competitor.
Not sure how that math works out to get a 50% price difference, unless you’re comparing the price of the original MY.

Currently configured MYLR, 7 seater, black/white. $70,990. Can’t add on a lot of items included in a R1S (solid build, etc).

R1S dual motor, $85,750. 320 miles, grey/black. Can’t add on price of supercharger network access (which is meaningless if they open the network). Autopilot not as good for now.

Reactions: gt2690b
R1S dual motor, $85,750. 320 miles, grey/black. Can’t add on price of supercharger network access (which is meaningless if they open the network). Autopilot not as good for now.
The dual motors does not exist yet and has no delivery timeline (and the price could change again when it finally does show up). My comparison point is the quad motor, which is theoretically available now, but is realistically a 2024 delivery.

Honestly, I can't help but think the 2 best options are the Model Y or a Bolt LT (EV or preferably EUV) with the leather interior added (really improves the interior look w/o spiraling the price). The Bolt is really a "local" car with trips limited to those that would require no more than one DC fast charge.
The Bolt, at its new lower price pont, is likely compelling in a 100 mike radius scenario.
Any of the other cars introduce a much higher price point and the challenges of out of town travel sting a lot more.

Totally agree. I've driven both the Bolt EV and EUV, Both good cars. The EV has a bit of a harsh ride with the EUV riding a bit better, For the money they are hard to beat for local driving and charging at home. Both would be real money savers for a commuter car. You could buy both and have money left over compared to a MY.

Reactions: OB1Kenobi
FWIW

Tesla is ahead of the game right now, especially if you are driving long distance - it's charging network is second to none.
As for drivetrains and tech, Tesla is still years ahead others. So thats what you are buying.
Now, quality, aftermarket service, and in the Model Y in particular the suspension truly sucks. So there is that.
Overall, have had 2 MYLR, and put 60k miles on them. Traded one for a M3 LR (far better ride quality, handling, comfort) and about to sell the other likely for a Model S or Taycan Cross Turismo.
Once you go EV, its hard to go back to ICE (likely wont ever do it, EVs won us over despite the iflaws) but need realize youre paying for the tech, not the quality or handling, in particular that is true on a MY.

Reactions: yellowr6
I will say that after taking a 1100 mile trip from NorCal to SoCal and back again over Thanksgiving, I've grown to love my MY even more. The Supercharger experience is just a game changer. Even though we came back on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, and I-5 was bumper to bumper traffic much of the way, it was not difficult to find a Supercharger that had an open slot. I did end up at a smaller station once and I waited about 5 min behind another MY, and then figured that it'd be a long wait at that station. So I got back on the freeway and headed out to the next station, which wasn't very far away and turned out to be a much bigger station with 250 kWh chargers. So my charging there was superfast.

We were going on a cruise so each of the 5 members of our family had a carry-on roller bag, backpacks for each person, and I had a suit bag. All of that fit without even filling the frunk. There's an amazing amount of storage in the MY.

The Autopilot (adaptive cruise) worked ok for the most part. It did phantom brake me once going over a crest, but it wasn't a full on emergency brake down to zero. As others have posted, the vision system is very sensitive to traffic in the next lane. I had a guy in the lane to my right try to change into my lane but he was too close and backed off. The car saw that as a threat and immediately cut the speed pretty hard, but as soon as the butt of his car was back in his lane, the AP resumed our original speed.

Lane centering worked well. It was rock solid all the way though. The only thing is you have to basically use both hands on the wheel so enough torque is being applied otherwise the system will click off after a few warnings. One handed driving with lane centering is more difficult because it gets kind of tiring having to apply torque to the wheel so the feature doesn't click off.

We loved the Netflix and Hulu, and we used Hulu to catch part of a Warriors game while we were waiting at a Supercharger. The Tesla streaming service was awesome. It has so many music options that unlike previous trips, I no longer had to preload a memory stick or my iPhone with a bunch of music before the trip. The streaming service had every kind of music we wanted to listed to.

The one downside is the navigation system. Tesla's nav is just inferior to Google Maps i.e. Apple CarPlay. Tesla nav is slower and not as predictive. While both Apple and Google maps will tell you which lane to be in and give you ample warning before an exit, Tesla nav doesn't give you much of a warning and doesn't really tell you which lane is best to be in. Also I wouldn't mind if there was a way to increase the font size of the screen a bit. It would be easier for us older folks to read.

Oher than that, I'm really loving the car. There are other drawbacks of course, but as a transportation device, it's a great piece of work. Charge at home and go. On the road, charge at the Supercharger and go. It makes traveling easy so long as there are Superchargers around. The experience at CCS chargers is vastly different. I hope Elon never opens up the Superchargers to other makes.

The dual motors does not exist yet and has no delivery timeline (and the price could change again when it finally does show up). My comparison point is the quad motor, which is theoretically available now, but is realistically a 2024 delivery.

Exactly - it is pointless to compete on price with a product that can't be bought in the real world

The Rivian's you can actually buy right now are vastly more expensive than the model Y (and note that the Model Y will clear the price ceiling to get the $7500 tax rebate in 2023 which the available Rivians again likely exceed)

Reactions: exxxviii
I have not test driven the cars, since up until now I really thought we would just to with the Y. With the December "discount", our base price will be around 59K, with upgrades, taxes, fees, it will be around $69K. I was told the suspension has been "improved" in the Y which we will be getting this month, and that it will be a 2023. It's just painful that we are not eligible for any rebates/credits and the car was base $49K when we first were thinking to get it, so we are paying a lot more than we initially planned.

Sounds like Ford Mustang Mach-E & Volkswagen ID.4 are not worth looking into right now. What about Volvo C40, Hyundai Ioniq, Audi Q4 etron?

Reactions: cdub
It means if you try to actually buy one of the mentioned models, the dealer is demanding something like a $20k markup.

Another reason to favor Tesla - MSRP price for everyone. Always.
That is a good point, I did not realize this. So you're saying that right now these other electric cars are being sold for significantly higher than the MSRP? When I bought my last ICE vehicle in 2020, we were able to buy it below MSRP so I did not even consider this.

Hmmm. Why isn’t the Rivian R1S in the discussion mix? Obviously larger vehicle, but if you’re comparing a car for kids/bikes/etc and similar price range, def worth considering too.
I checked their page and their expected to deliver later 2023.

1670139750911.png

I have not test driven the cars, since up until now I really thought we would just to with the Y. With the December "discount", our base price will be around 59K, with upgrades, taxes, fees, it will be around $69K. I was told the suspension has been "improved" in the Y which we will be getting this month, and that it will be a 2023. It's just painful that we are not eligible for any rebates/credits and the car was base $49K when we first were thinking to get it, so we are paying a lot more than we initially planned.

Sounds like Ford Mustang Mach-E & Volkswagen ID.4 are not worth looking into right now. What about Volvo C40, Hyundai Ioniq, Audi Q4 etron?

So when "later 2023" arrives we can use these hypothetical cars as a comparison.

Right now, they do not exist, at any price
So when "later 2023" arrives we can use these hypothetical cars as a comparison.

When I first read that I inferred that that it was not in production yet.

That is a good point, I did not realize this. So you're saying that right now these other electric cars are being sold for significantly higher than the MSRP? When I bought my last ICE vehicle in 2020, we were able to buy it below MSRP so I did not even consider this.
One thing to consider is how much you would pay for Y if you ordered today with the same configuration.

As others have written you should test drive the competition to see how they stack up. No harm in looking.

Well fair or unfair. Much of the discussion here is about features which don’t yet exist/ship - aka LR 4680, true autopilot, cybertruck, etc

For most situations, a car purchase is not an emergency. One year delay is doable.. R1S is currently shipping and we see them at school drop offs too - just perhaps not that config yet.

Just trying to be objective here with $80k.

Well fair or unfair. Much of the discussion here is about features which don’t yet exist/ship - aka LR 4680, true autopilot, cybertruck, etc

For most situations, a car purchase is not an emergency. One year delay is doable.. R1S is currently shipping and we see them at school drop offs too - just perhaps not that config yet.

Just trying to be objective here with $80k.

The topic is current Model Y vs assorted-others. I feel the only "others" which should be allowed are those which actually exist - no fair bringing in what Rivian might make in a year or two at a speculated price which might compete with what you can buy from Tesla right here, right now. The low cost variant of the R1S does NOT exist.

Reactions: DrGriz and exxxviii
Sorry for my ignorance, can you clarify what this means?
The Ioniq 5 Limited and EV6 GT-Line trims are the two that compare most closely to the Model Y. They really are excellent. They are scarce in general, only a couple per month arrive in my market. And dealers are adding $12K USD to MSRP when they do get them.

What about Volvo C40, Hyundai Ioniq, Audi Q4 etron?
The Ioniq 5 definitely. That one is a true disruptor for Tesla. The C40 is pretty sweet too, but has relatively short range. The Audi has better range (than the C40j but it is slow. And I’m not sure if the Audi has the awesome storage like the Model Y and C40.

Last edited:
Reactions: brancky3