Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla's "End of 2014" Supercharger map possible?

How many of the remaining chargers will be built by 01-01-2015?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There must be a two things going on here surely: firstly, to access a new country, Tesla has to install a basic number of superchargers; and secondly the easy sites will be picked off first, giving rise to apparent high initial install rate then dropping to a lower, steady state rate.

@Cottonwood, You left out I-80 Truckee to Salt Lake City. Very high on my wish list. How long do Central CA Teslas have to go North or South to get to the rest of the country? I would guess that the SF Bay Area is probably has one of the densities of Teslas in the country.

In my mind, Tesla missed a very historic opportunity by not completing I-80 first. It largely follows the first transcontinental railroad, the first transcontinental telegraph line, and the first transcontinental road network - the Lincoln Highway. I-80 itself was one the first transcontinental interstate highway routes to be completed. It would have been Very Cool PR if the first transcontinental supercharging network had also been along I-80. (Of course I am biased because I've lived near I-80, in one part of the country or another, for all but three years of my life. It is my 'mother road'.)

In my mind, Tesla missed a very historic opportunity by not completing I-80 first. It largely follows the first transcontinental railroad, the first transcontinental telegraph line, and the first transcontinental road network - the Lincoln Highway. I-80 itself was one the first transcontinental interstate highway routes to be completed. It would have been Very Cool PR if the first transcontinental supercharging network had also been along I-80. (Of course I am biased because I've lived near I-80, in one part of the country or another, for all but three years of my life. It is my 'mother road'.)

Actually, the Lincoln Highway across Nevada and Utah went mostly via what is now US-50, "The Loneliest Road in America." See Lincoln Highway - Wikipedia. If you need to go from Truckee connecting to I-70 where there is a current Supercharger route, the Loneliest Highway is the best route.

I would love to seen the Loneliest Highway Supercharged! Loneliest Highway Guide

I like the way you think, had not considered the historical perspective. Perhaps we can attack it as coming full circle to the origin of transcontinental travel. I am concerned that the future map shows only two Superchargers between Truckee and Nephi. Actually, this is all that was planned even before Truckee was added. I am confident that the SC Team will see the error of their ways. We should help them with our emails.

Actually, the Lincoln Highway across Nevada and Utah went mostly via what is now US-50, "The Loneliest Road in America." See Lincoln Highway - Wikipedia. If you need to go from Truckee connecting to I-70 where there is a current Supercharger route, the Loneliest Highway is the best route.

I would love to seen the Loneliest Highway Supercharged! Loneliest Highway Guide

I've driven both I-80 and Highway 50 through Nevada a number of times. Though it has been about 30 years since the last time I drove Highway 50s 'lonely portion'. Travelling east, yes the Lincoln Highway was the basis for todays Highway 50. But it did go north up to Salt Lake City - to todays I-80.

The Lincoln Highway went a bit north of current I-80 in Iowa and Illinois - which made sense considering the bridge situation over the Mississippi 100 years ago. But when I-80 was built, it made a lot more sense to route it nearer to the Quad Cities (Rock Island, Moline, and East Moline, Illinois and Davenport and Bettendorf, Iowa. Yes there are five cities that make up the Quad Cities...)

Last edited:
I like the way you think, had not considered the historical perspective. Perhaps we can attack it as coming full circle to the origin of transcontinental travel. I am concerned that the future map shows only two Superchargers between Truckee and Nephi. Actually, this is all that was planned even before Truckee was added. I am confident that the SC Team will see the error of their ways. We should help them with our emails.

Sadly, my opinion would carry little weight at Tesla since I am not a current owner. But that may change soon.

I am a little concerned about their 2015 map showing superchargers along I-80 in Omaha, Des Moines, and the Quad Cities. Omaha-Des Moines may be ok. But according to evtripplanner, Des Moines-QC may be a little tight in a S/60.

Last SC to come on line in the US was Sept 29, a week ago. No indications of any new permits granted or construction starts this past week, according to supercharge.info. Not looking good to reach 200 US operational SC by the end of 2014, let alone my prior guess of 140. Hope I will be proven wrong.

Sadly, my opinion would carry little weight at Tesla since I am not a current owner. But that may change soon.

I am a little concerned about their 2015 map showing superchargers along I-80 in Omaha, Des Moines, and the Quad Cities. Omaha-Des Moines may be ok. But according to evtripplanner, Des Moines-QC may be a little tight in a S/60.

At the Minnesota Tesla Owners & Enthusiasts (or whatever we're called) get-together last night, it was brought up that some folks in Iowa are trying to organize a Tesla rally to respond to the Iowa Auto Dealers Assoc. forcing Tesla to cut short the test drive event they had in Des Moines a few weeks ago. The dealers had argued that since Tesla didn't have a dealers license in Iowa, it could not offer test drives. The Tesla fans in Iowa had contacted the MN Tesla group and I think the one in Chicago, too, to come for this rally. So, a bunch of Tesla owners are planning to go down to Des Moines on or around Oct. 25 to just show people what Teslas are like. The challenge for us coming from the Twin Cities is that the last SC on the way is at Albert Lea, MN. We can make it down to Des Moines, but finding a good place to charge for the trip back is harder. All of this is a roundabout way of saying I, too, would like to see a SC along I-80 somewhere around Des Moines.

The number of Superchargers, the map, and the list of Superchargers on Tesla's Supercharger page have gone out of sync with each other again! Right now, the number is 121 for NA, while the list only includes 120 SCs. The map has at least one dot missing (Big Timber, MT, which was added to the list within the last couple of days).

Update: For the USA, I count 72 superchargers on the 2014 map that are not on the "currently open" map as of today, with 38 days left in 2014. $50 says they don't make it. lol.

I wouldn't take that bet. Its discouraging when everyday a newSC comes online or starts construction in Europe and Asia and there is silence with respect to SCs in the U.S. I predicted there would be 140 SC in the U.S. (far short of the 200 that Tesla's map show), but unless things pick up real fast, we won't even reach my 140 prediction. I would love to be shown otherwise.

Perhaps the "Tesla Website Supercharger Timeline Mess" (as I hope they currently refer to it inside Tesla) is something that Ricardo Reyes will make sure is fixed up, since, it's communicating Tesla information to us.

For example, there is nothing clearly defining "COMING SOON" or "2014" and why, on November 25th, they are still individually selectable. Superchargers has more information!

I wouldn't take that bet. Its discouraging when everyday a newSC comes online or starts construction in Europe and Asia and there is silence with respect to SCs in the U.S. I predicted there would be 140 SC in the U.S. (far short of the 200 that Tesla's map show), but unless things pick up real fast, we won't even reach my 140 prediction. I would love to be shown otherwise.

I think there is a good chance we will reach 140. Lately, 3-4 SCs are being added to the list every week. But you are right, we will certainly fall far short of the 2014 map. What I am even more afraid of is Tesla's claim of covering 98% of population. I hope 98% or even 100% doesn't get construed as we have sufficient.

Perhaps the "Tesla Website Supercharger Timeline Mess" (as I hope they currently refer to it inside Tesla) is something that Ricardo Reyes will make sure is fixed up, since, it's communicating Tesla information to us.

For example, there is nothing clearly defining "COMING SOON" or "2014" and why, on November 25th, they are still individually selectable. Superchargers has more information!

At some point, the delta dots in coming soon should be more in number than delta dots in 2014. But who are we kidding. No one in Tesla even remembers now that the Coming Soon, 2014, and 2015 points on the slider even exist.