Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the “Performance” Version Really Worth the Cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only people that pay 100’s of thousands would be NASCAR, formula 1 and some rich people from the likes of Saudi Arabia or Texas oil tycoons. Realistically people pay 10’s of thousands for extras performance. However, they all buy physical parts. My point is that for 8k all you get is modified code with the same hardware. The cost of the software just isn’t worth it FWIW IMHO.

Modifying that software is not a trivial matter. You don't just change some parameters and call it a day. You do some modelling to determine how to change the parameters, then you have to do simulation testing, then your have to roll it out to the test mules and make sure the car can handle the power changes in the real world. And you want to really test it to ensure you know where the new corners now are. And all of this must be accomplished with the confines of safety and reliability because kill or injuring people is expensive, and so is breaking the chassis with too much power or power added too fast. And any one of these steps can lead to a complete redo of all of the subsequent steps.

It actually is not all that different when you change real parts these days. You still simulate everything in a computer long before you cut metal. Then you modify the code that controls the power curves, since everything is computer controlled. And then test as above, iterate, and test some more.

>>So the question I still have: Is this difference in amps the result of a larger motor or software?

That's what I'd like to know too!

I agree with the "it shouldn't matter whether it is a hardware or a software update if you are prepared to pay the $$$ for it anyway" - BUT if the cost could change later (downwards ?!? - like it did on other models at one time) then why sign-up to $8K now?

Simplified SKU management can save them a lot of money - only have one common rear motor makes a lot of sense for amortized cheaper manufacturing costs.

BTW I still am in two minds on the 'Free' brakes, wheels, suspension upgrade - if I could get the brakes without the lowered suspension (and avoid pothole unfriendly 21" wheels) then that would be good...

I find it kinda amazing that there isn't a more definitive answer to this simple question (at least on recent M 3's) ... at least that I could find

Maybe the answer is you cannot today. But if someone has a bright idea in the future you can. That is how most of engineering works. No absolutes just what we can do today, and hopefully we can do better tomorrow.

After all the brilliant teams at NASA through the early 2000s said landing a 1st stage booster was impossible, let alone constructing one in such as way that it could fly again, and again.

Reactions: preilly44
People seem to need to justify on forums their decisions as to their configurations.

Isn’t that the whole point of a forum? What are you supposed to discuss except opinion and ask questions? To parse my question down to a more granular level, Is paying 8k for an upgrade that may be software only really worth it? This coming from someone who usually expects something tangible and not a line of code.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: McKinney Ag
Modifying that software is not a trivial matter. You don't just change some parameters and call it a day. You do some modelling to determine how to change the parameters, then you have to do simulation testing, then your have to roll it out to the test mules and make sure the car can handle the power changes in the real world. And you want to really test it to ensure you know where the new corners now are. And all of this must be accomplished with the confines of safety and reliability because kill or injuring people is expensive, and so is breaking the chassis with too much power or power added too fast. And any one of these steps can lead to a complete redo of all of the subsequent steps.

It actually is not all that different when you change real parts these days. You still simulate everything in a computer long before you cut metal. Then you modify the code that controls the power curves, since everything is computer controlled. And then test as above, iterate, and test some more.

You appear to infer that they have to start from scratch when they don’t. In the end they’re doing all that modeling and testing anyways with a normal non performance drivetrain so they already know their tolerances and parameters they cannot excede and they’ve done at least half the initial testing. I’d hope they’d test the heck out of any software tweaks given you could brick a car or kill someone, so that should be a given.

Plus when you factor in what Tesla can accomplish by streamlining manufacturing by simplifying build by using the same parts, Tesla make money hand over fists. Why? Because it’s the same cost to make an AWD and a PAWD. They don’t need anything that is physically different which adds to their cost as a manufacturer. If the AWD a 30% profit, then the profit on a PAWD will be much better if it is really the same parts. Good for tesla, but as the consumer, is it a deal when with the flick of a switch I may be able to jailbreak performance once the car is already beyond warranty? Or as a used car buyer, knowing that you must pay again for something that was already purchased? Maybe I am just old school where I expect to have something tangible if I am going to pay that much money and know that tesla can’t take it away in a remote audit because it’s just some code.

Last edited:
I put in order for a Model Y Performance last fall. Back then the only choice of wheel/tire was 21 inch Ultras and that's what my order lists.

Out of curiosity I went into order studio for MY and selected Performance. That page also showed a check box for Optional Performance.
Checking it changed displayed top speed and reduced range by 30 miles, but cost was not altered.
I don't remember seeing this last fall. Does anyone know what's going on with this?
When you select Performance Option the page also lists all the expected items that you are supposed to get, like performance brakes and pedals. This mess seems confusing and not user understandable to me. Thanks!

@Bobfitz1 this is most likely due to a lot of M3 buyers ordering the what is known as a stealth/sleeper performance package.

Like ordering the 35k Tesla, the stealth/sleeper was a hidden menu item that could only be ordered via phone. It was only $2k.

As the performance option appears to be totally controlled by software, Tesla has wised up and realized that people would pay the full 8k price for a performance upgrade without the extras. So sadly the $2k sleeper is now $8k like the regular performance with all the part.

Ticking the box for the physical hardware gives and extra bit of top speed and adds the 21” rims which lowers the range due to them being less efficient.

The performance without the wheels, pedals and lowered suspension is most likely the exact same car as the LR AWD version of the MY. Which is why Tesla should cut the consumer a break if they want a stealth/sleeper performance version of the MY.

The profit margin is huge for those who order performance without the extra goodies. Good for Tesla, bad deal for consumer IMHO

@Bobfitz1 this is most likely due to a lot of M3 buyers ordering the what is known as a stealth/sleeper performance package.

Like ordering the 35k Tesla, the stealth/sleeper was a hidden menu item that could only be ordered via phone. It was only $2k.

Everything I have read, at least for the the mid/late 2019 stealths, said these could not be ordered.. Not even off menu. They were only available as inventory cars.

Reactions: CitiesSprinter
in NY, the performance model would also take away a $2,000 rebate (the cost would go over $55k) meaning the total cost to us would be $10k. the LR AWD will already be the quickest car i've ever owned and that will be fine with me.

Everything I have read, at least for the the mid/late 2019 stealths, said these could not be ordered.. Not even off menu. They were only available as inventory cars.

Per CleanTechnica
So, at some point in 2019, Tesla began offering a “Performance” upgrade to those who were buying a Model 3 Long Range AWD. This was not available to order on the website, but could be added after making the deposit but before taking delivery. The cost was only $2,000 above the price of the AWD car, and this allowed buyers to get the quicker 3.2-second 0–60 mph time as well as access to Tesla’s “Track Mode,” which allows the Model 3 to perform better on the controlled conditions of a racetrack.

Does anyone know if the "acceleration boost" in-app upgrade is still available to new purchases since the change to the Performance models without the suspension/brakes/wheels configuration. Or was that option only available for AWDs while Tesla was figuring out how to re-configure the two-level Performance scenario on the site now?
  1. AWD = 4.4 0-60
  2. AWD w/accel. boost = 3.6-ish 0-60
  3. P = 3.2 0-60
  4. P+ = 3.2 0-60
Can a new buyer still move from 1 to 2? Or are new buyers left with 1, 3, and 4 as their options.

I've yet to find comments on recent AWD purchases being able to bump acceleration from the app. I guess another way to ask my question would be: "did the new Performance (w/out the upgrades box checked) replace the in-app acceleration boost going forward? The cost differentials certainly impacts the subjective "worth it" question.

Does anyone know if the "acceleration boost" in-app upgrade is still available to new purchases since the change to the Performance models without the suspension/brakes/wheels configuration. Or was that option only available for AWDs while Tesla was figuring out how to re-configure the two-level Performance scenario on the site now?
  1. AWD = 4.4 0-60
  3. P = 3.2 0-60
  4. P+ = 3.2 0-60
Can a new buyer still move from 1 to 2? Or are new buyers left with 1, 3, and 4 as their options.

I've yet to find comments on recent AWD purchases being able to bump acceleration from the app. I guess another way to ask my question would be: "did the new Performance (w/out the upgrades box checked) replace the in-app acceleration boost going forward? The cost differentials certainly impacts the subjective "worth it" question.

Are you referring to Y orders? If so, no one knows how that will work yet as no one has taken delivery and can check the option for the Boost upgrade in their app (need a connected vehicle for that).

As I understand though, the AWD M3 still has this option for the Boost upgrade.

Individually, I am curious about the Y options... but am making the assumption that there will be consistency (3 or Y) regarding the acceleration boost offering for AWD models. I know this is still an assumption -- but at least there's consistency with the config options on the order pages. :)

When the $2K acceleration boost became available it appeared it was a way to extract revenue from all the AWD M3 owners that never had the option for a Stealth config when they purchased. Lots of folks were tickled with the option. You have confirmed what I was curious about -- that there is still a path to an 'almost-Stealth' via the in-app upgrade for (past and future) AWD M3 vehicles. I've got my fingers crossed that an early AWD Model Y forum member can verify my assumption before I get my delivery coordination call. Thanks.

Individually, I am curious about the Y options... but am making the assumption that there will be consistency (3 or Y) regarding the acceleration boost offering for AWD models. I know this is still an assumption -- but at least there's consistency with the config options on the order pages. :)

When the $2K acceleration boost became available it appeared it was a way to extract revenue from all the AWD M3 owners that never had the option for a Stealth config when they purchased. Lots of folks were tickled with the option. You have confirmed what I was curious about -- that there is still a path to an 'almost-Stealth' via the in-app upgrade for (past and future) AWD M3 vehicles. I've got my fingers crossed that an early AWD Model Y forum member can verify my assumption before I get my delivery coordination call. Thanks.

I honestly don’t see why Tesla wouldn’t offer the Boost upgrade for the AWD Model Y as well. It’s easy money for them, and owners have the ability to get a bit more speed for less than a Performance upgrade.

I plan on purchasing the boost for my Y so I’m hoping this option works out.

Reactions: Reborn and Bobfitz1
  1. AWD = 4.4 0-60
  3. P = 3.2 0-60
  4. P+ = 3.2 0-60

I just watched this YouTube video this morning comparing a Model 3 Performance vs LR AWD with the $2000 upgrade.
Pretty interesting.

I ordered the MY P+. I actually really like the Uberturbine wheels and want the lowered suspension. However, my ideal setup would be the LR AWD with 20" Induction wheels with the $2k performance upgrade (if they make it available).

Since I ordered pretty late (Jan 15, 2020), I assume I'll have at least a few months of seeing other people's deliveries to see how everything looks. We'll see...

Either way, a Model Y WILL be in my possession hopefully sometime this year!