Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the FSD price increase going to happen.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't stand Elon, but in this case Elon clearly said the price increase was tied to the pending release of Enhance Summon.

So my bet is that the price will increase, but only after Enhanced Summon is released.

When that will actually happen is anyones guess. Best estimate now is first part of September.

He said August 16.

Just like he said al cars shipped are HW ready for FSD. Which is not true as there are cars shipped with HW2.5. Just like he said you can upgrade your MCU which you cannot.

I admire Elon for his achievements, I love my Model X but I cann't stand these lies and broke promises. I wish someone would take his Twitter account away because he clearly cannot handle it.

We should start stopping defending Elon.
All these lies. When was the last time a presentation of him started on time? NEVER

These are just basic things. And the worst part? Not one word from him. Not a single "Sorry folks, but this and this happened" never. Just tweeting around and letting people wait at presentations for sometimes hours and than showing up as nothing happened.

You see this phrase coming up jokingly on this forum " 3 months maybe 6 month definitely" - that was from a tweet more than 2.5 years ago as an answer to a question of when we could see a difference between FSD and enhanced autopilot. Did he ever come back to that and said Sorry?

It is a disgrace. I also asked question through Twitter, never answer. I spend loads of money on Tesla and even ordered FSD. This guy is starting to be a huge liability. Once again I love the car, I admire Elon of his achievements but he should let other do the communication.

Just like he said al cars shipped are HW ready for FSD. Which is not true as there are cars shipped with HW2.5. Just like he said you can upgrade your MCU which you cannot.

I admire Elon for his achievements, I love my Model X but I cann't stand these lies and broke promises. I wish someone would take his Twitter account away because he clearly cannot handle it.

They give you a FREE upgrade to HW3 ... *sugar* happens.

MCU 1 can be upgraded to MCU 2... just needs a harness adapter.

Of course it is. They’ve said so over and over again.
Suppose FSD were for sale on Ebay. Seller rep is zero based on previous items he had "sold". Nobody has received the product. The product description doesn't have these terms. We can't even get his own people to parrot the offer, as vague as it is. Would someone buy that?

I frankly hope he comes through for everyone who made this gamble. Maybe I'll end up paying twice as much as y'all at some point. I just seriously doubt he will do even the smallest thing he says. HW4 will be an FSD requirement before free HW3 upgrades are done, upgradeable at a date TBD, for a small fee. Too risky for me.

Sounds like snake oil, which I'd be happy to sell here for $2k, with payment now and delivery at a date to be determined -- only one drink and you will go at stop signs. Price is going up soon, so hurry.

Suppose FSD were for sale on Ebay. Seller rep is zero based on previous items he had "sold". Nobody has received the product. The product description doesn't have these terms. We can't even get his own people to parrot the offer, as vague as it is. Would someone buy that?

I frankly hope he comes through for everyone who made this gamble. Maybe I'll end up paying twice as much as y'all at some point. I just seriously doubt he will do even the smallest thing he says. HW4 will be an FSD requirement before free HW3 upgrades are done, upgradeable at a date TBD, for a small fee. Too risky for me.

Sounds like snake oil, which I'd be happy to sell here for $2k, with payment now and delivery at a date to be determined -- only one drink and you will go at stop signs. Price is going up soon, so hurry.

Of course it’s snake oil. You won’t find me buying FSD at any price. But it’s next-level goofy to think that you’re paying for the delivery of an explicit set of features without whatever hardware is required to implement them being included. It’s completely nonsensical even by Tesla standards.

The computer upgrade, if it’s necessary to implement the explicit features you paid for, should they ever materialize, is clearly included. Beyond being painfully obvious, it’s been directly confirmed multiple times.

Reactions: KJD
He said August 16.

He said Aug 16th in one tweet, but clarified it in a later tweet.

That it was tied to the release of Enhanced Summons.

In any case he's almost ALWAYS wrong about the every date he ever gives. He can't even be bothered to start a presentation on time. Sometimes he's 15min late, and sometimes he's 30 minutes late. The last time he talked about raising the FSD price by $1K they did so, but that was days late as well.

Edit: There is still room for this to be a fib. Like lets say Enhanced summons gets a wide release in early September, and there still isn't a price increase. Part of me wonders if Tesla will actually go through with it. The reason is the take rate might go substantially down at $7K. It's getting to a point where FSD is such a substantial part of the purchase that it's really hard for people to justify it. Elon is definitely known to fire at the hip without having a good understanding of the issue. Like when he said ALL HW2+ cars would get sentry mode. I think they eventually did, but it wasn't the same on both.

Last edited:
With them shipping 2.5HW in brand new Model 3's, when will the retrofits for people who pre-paid for FSD or upgraded start? They've slashed service personnel, and I'm supposed to believe they'll turn around all these HW3 upgrades in how long? Shoot, I'll probably be in a Model Y before they get around to upgrading my HW2.5 MS to HW3. That's why I'm not paying for it now. I want to see them actually upgrading cars first... and at a decent volume before I'm going to pay. I've been burnt way too many times by Tesla to let them do it to me again.

By the way, tick tock on FSD...
UPS Quietly Using Self-Driving Trucks For Months

Reactions: Birdman325
I admire Elon of his achievements but he should let other do the communication.

I agree with pretty much the entirety of the post, but simply didn't agree with this specific example.

As to other people doing the communication I was excited by the new Tesla twitter, but then realized that too was just mostly jokes.

I don't even know WHO to email at Tesla to get a serious answer. It used to be that there would be an email or two of some higher up that could get serious things addressed/fixed. But, now it seems like everything serious is left to tweeting elon on the extremely rare chance he'll reply (to a single tweet from an regular customer).

We should seriously consider dedicating specific days to tweeting Elon about specific issues. Like the entire TMC community should unify, and tweet Elon the exact same question on a specific day.

As example

August 21 -> Tweet Elon demanding refunds for accidental FSD purchases (it's happened to a few people)
August 25 -> Tweet Elon demanding removing Idle Fee's from Valet superchargers.

10K to 20K tweets of the same thing might get his attention.

Now he does usually clue in EVENTUALLY to serious issues. Like last week he "suddenly" realized the service loaner problem. The fact that they took away service loaners.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
I just can't believe Elon. I wrote to Tesla via my web account several weeks ago, asking them if s free AP 3 upgrade from AP 2.0 was included in this price or not.

No response. No surprise. No sell.

It's kind of ridiculous that you didn't get a response since that question has been asked LOTS of times, and Tesla has clearly answered the question with a yes.

So they have a boiler plate answer for it. If you purchase FSD then you'll get the HW3 upgrade for free.

What they haven't clarified is what all they'll upgrade. No one knows if they'll upgrade just the AP computer or if they'll update everything (probably unlikely).

For me, I'd gladly pay $1,000 - $1,500 just to upgrade my AP 2.0 to AP 2.5 so I can get dashcam capability in my X. That's a quick sale for Tesla. But I suppose that's a whole different thread ;)

It's totally related to this thread as the biggest knock against FSD is the lack of a deliverable.

So that would offer a clear deliverable assuming Sentry mode and Dashcam work on HW3.

If I was in charge I'd quickly clarify what was going to be upgraded from HW2 to HW3, and start those upgrades promptly. Where people who paid for FSD would have their HW2 vehicles upgraded to HW3, and they'd gain Sentry mode and Dashcam.

That would convince quite a few people to upgrade just to get those two features.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU