Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Key Fob worth buying?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An interesting question might be, how many Tesla drivers do not have a key fob and do not feel the need to get one. I count myself among these.

I can confirm that occasionally the phone does not work as expected, apparently when the mobile internet connection is poor, but activating aeroplane mode for a few seconds has always made it work again in these rare cases. Moreover, I always carry the key card, because every device, even a key fob, can fail, so I need a backup.

Reactions: Anna St
for me yes, i kept forgetting my office keys at home when i didn't have one. lol

honestly the key fob's range is quite bad, or there's a lag. i could be standing next to the car w/ fob in my pocket and the car wont pick it up. I've also had issues with opening the frunk w/ my fob. Who knows maybe my key fob is defective.

Same as most: phone and key card as a backup. This is far too reliable a combo for me to consider paying for the fob.

I felt the same... until we added a 2nd Tesla to the mix. Now it only works based on "which" Tesla you're swiped into in the app.

You can actually see it in action... let's say I'm sitting in our Model 3.. and I open the Tesla app and swipe over to check the Model X. Immediately I get a message on the Model 3's display that the key has disconnected.

They really need to make the phone-key functionality a 'background process' of the app rather than depend on which car you're swiped into.

It makes the whole touchless-key thing a royal pain in the backside - especially when you have an armful of groceries and the walkup unlock... doesn't.

I felt the same... until we added a 2nd Tesla to the mix. Now it only works based on "which" Tesla you're swiped into in the app.

You can actually see it in action... let's say I'm sitting in our Model 3.. and I open the Tesla app and swipe over to check the Model X. Immediately I get a message on the Model 3's display that the key has disconnected.

They really need to make the phone-key functionality a 'background process' of the app rather than depend on which car you're swiped into.

It makes the whole touchless-key thing a royal pain in the backside - especially when you have an armful of groceries and the walkup unlock... doesn't.

Yeah, in a case like yours, the fob would be worth getting.

Your car names are epic!!

The card key I don't care for much - to me, it's just a backup device, and nothing more.

My primary is the phone.... BUT - since getting our X, it's become a bit of a PITA. If I leave my Tesla app on Pumbaa (the X), the 3 doesn't recognize the phone-key. I have to go into the Tesla app, swipe back to Timon (the 3) and THEN it picks up the phone-key and unlocks the door. Hop in the butt -- to the point where I'm considering getting a fob. If I have to carry one for the X anyway, may as well carry two, if it saves me from getting PO'd at the app.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
I'm considering a 2021 M3, and didn't know the car didn't come with a freaking key fob. Thought the card was like the spare key. So what's the deal now? How many key cards the car comes with? What kind of range does it have? How do you open the trunk and/or frunk with the key card? And how much is the keyfob if you want one? Thx.

Reactions: Anna St
I'm considering a 2021 M3, and didn't know the car didn't come with a freaking key fob. Thought the card was like the spare key. So what's the deal now? How many key cards the car comes with? What kind of range does it have? How do you open the trunk and/or frunk with the key card? And how much is the keyfob if you want one? Thx.
To open anything with a key card you have to unlock the car first (assuming you don't have the Tesla app set up on your phone to work as a key). The trunk can be opened like any other trunk in a car by pulling it up against the switch above the rear license plate. Frunk would have to be opened from the screen. If you have a keyfob, or a smart phone with the Tesla app you can use either device to open it. You can also get third party apps on smart watches which brings this unlocking functionality to your watch. Car comes with 2 key cards, and are relatively cheap to buy additional ones, you can pair them yourself in the car. You can read the car's manual to see how to set this up.

It basically is the spare key; the primary “key” is your phone. Works over Bluetooth - just have your phone in your pocket and the car unlocks.

If you do want a physical key fob, they’re available from Tesla. About $100 as I recall.