Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the new Macan EV a MY killer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trolling should be banned.

Porsche people will buy a Porsche and don't care about value - They only care about how good they look in their Porsche. To be fair, almost all present Cybertruck owners also fit this mold.
Every brand has owners who care about status, Tesla included. They are some of the most fun cars to drive.

The reason the 2023 Tesla Model Y was the best-selling car of any kind in 2023 was because it had mass-market appeal to those that don't care about how they look and instead care about the money they save overall...even over a Toyota Corolla.
The MY was not the best selling car (or vehicle) of 2023. Slightly more MYs were sold than CRVs, but far below the RAV4. If you want to stack the MY against all US vehicles almost two F150s were sold for every MY.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
The Macan EV is not a direct competitor to the Model Y, that being said, it is still badge engineered and very similar to other VAG products like the E-Tron S from Audi. Macans in previous generations are closely related to the Audi Q5/SQ and share many of the same components.
Porsche does share some platforms and components with the VAG family but they tend to extensively modify and tune things to make it their own, especially the suspension. They also use their own transmissions (except the Cayenne uses a ZF8), differential/AWD systems, and up until the last 5-6 years they had their own V6 and V8s.

To call Porsches simply badge engineered VWs is a bit disingenuous. I don’t think anyone who has driven both the Q5 and Macan will say they drive or feel the same.

And as mentioned already, the new Macan EV is on a new dedicated EV platform (that will be shared with Audi), so no relation at all to the current Q8 e-tron (née e-tron SUV).

“Platform” in modern automotive parlance just refers to a highly modular standard set of components and mounting points etc. But it allows for a vast range of different vehicles of different sizes, different missions and different characteristics. It’s not the simple “badge engineering” days of the 90s and 00s. Eg a BMW M2 and X7 are on the same platform.

Reactions: DrChaos and ucmndd
I think a lot of people bought the MY because it was the best EV at the time. I'd like to stick with the MY; however, Tesla is making it more difficult as they are adding silly new features while not focusing on the basics. The MX seems even worse with the falcon doors and axel/shuddering problems.

back to the OPs, should have been goal, lets talk about this higher end SUV EV market which Macan is a part:

What is the best lux SUV EV? Macan 4 EV, Fisker Ocean Extreme, Lucid Gravity, Volvo XE90, Loaded Kia EV9, Tesla Model X, Audi eTron, BMW iX, Polestar 3, Lotus Eletre, Merc EQE, Genesis GV70, Rivian R1S

What did I miss?
Tough choice, your thoughts?

The MY was not the best selling car (or vehicle) of 2023. Slightly more MYs were sold than CRVs, but far below the RAV4. If you want to stack the MY against all US vehicles almost two F150s were sold for every MY.
Sorry, I should have qualified that I was talking on a worldwide level based on the data from JATO (here's an article from yesterday: 2023 (Full Year) Global: Best-Selling Car Models Worldwide - Car Sales Statistics (best-selling-cars.com)) - where MY was the top vehicle.

Reactions: ngng and Skavatar
back to the OPs, should have been goal, lets talk about this higher end SUV EV market which Macan is a part:

What is the best lux SUV EV? Macan 4 EV, Fisker Ocean Extreme, Lucid Gravity, Volvo XE90, Loaded Kia EV9, Tesla Model X, Audi eTron, BMW iX, Polestar 3, Lotus Eletre, Merc EQE, Genesis GV70, Rivian R1S

What did I miss?
Tough choice, your thoughts?
That list should be broken down into 2 lists - compact SUV and full size SUV. There's a Cayenne EV coming down the pipeline. Also, maybe less than 100k and more than 100k?

How many are compact SUVs under 100k? Fisker and Lucid may not last long as a company.

Reactions: ucmndd and Skavatar
That list should be broken down into 2 lists - compact SUV and full size SUV. There's a Cayenne EV coming down the pipeline. Also, maybe less than 100k and more than 100k?

How many are compact SUVs under 100k? Fisker and Lucid may not last long as a company.
Like it
I’m am not as familiar, gets to complex as EV9 and R1S similar size but diff prices
Escalade EV coming but big bucks
EV9 is a unicorn

Can you create the two lists? Think we can only do to your suggestion above and below $100K lists

Like it
I’m am not as familiar, gets to complex as EV9 and R1S similar size but diff prices
Escalade EV coming but big bucks
EV9 is a unicorn

Can you create the two lists? Think we can only do to your suggestion above and below $100K lists
That's the thing. There hasn't been a lot of competition to the MY. It was the only solid option when I bought in 2021.

Hoping that the Porsche Macan EV and other similar new models put the heat on Tesla.

Reactions: Skavatar
That's the thing. There hasn't been a lot of competition to the MY. It was the only solid option when I bought in 2021.

Hoping that the Porsche Macan EV and other similar new models put the heat on Tesla.

See the posts above, Macan is with much higher end EVs

MYs competition is $45-55K
MachE, EV6, Ioniq5, Blazer, Polestar 2, Equinox, Lyriq, ID4

As a very satisfied MY owner, it’s amazing
I would never go beyond a look at any of these
They are missing a solid Tesla ecosystem
Maybe Hyundai is closest to getting thete

Good luck

Reactions: bobbyjae
..MYs competition is $45-55K
MachE, EV6, Ioniq5, Blazer, Polestar 2, Equinox, Lyriq, ID4...
How's that going? :rolleyes:

Production is the issue. There is an expanding market in that space with room for anyone with a good product with a good price to sell a lot of cars without hurting anyone else. A couple of those are weak on product, and they all miss on out the door price today with matching features, and they all miss on production.

There were several EVs being touted as Tesla killers. Lucid, Rivian, Hyundai, Ford to name a few. I highly doubt Porsche will make any dent on Tesla. BYD is a bigger threat to Tesla. There is a greater chance Porsche EVs will cease to exist in the future with little demand.
The extra cost of Porsche's is a feature, not a bug or a defect. Status symbols will always be a thing as long as humans exist. Porsche just has to get their cars to a place where they don't feel like a compromise vs the pace Tesla is setting. Nobody is expecting Porsche to replace the Model Y, but they can surely skim off some high value buyers with a Porsche experience.

Tesla has the first mover advantage, SC network and an ecosystem. Think of it like an iPhone. Once in, very difficult to move.
but they can surely skim off some high value buyers with a Porsche experience.
It is expensive for the company to sell low volume EVs. Porsche will lose money on every EV sale until the management pulls the plug. Or they will have to go all in on EV and shut down ICE.

I would say it probably is $30k better. But most model Y buyers won’t be able to afford a Macan.
This is really ignorant.

Wealth is often a result of recognizing value, quality for the dollars over quantity of the dollars. While it may be true some MY owners couldn’t afford a Porsche, that does not equate to most MY buyers, (what, by virtue of their having bought a MY..?)cannot afford one.
Finally, Macan is a *sugar* Porsche anyway.