Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Tesla Model 3 Performance actually better than the Tesla Model S Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

@phantasms thinks the Model 3 Performance is better than the Model S Plaid. We discuss the points that they made, and then give our opinion.

Thread of the week: "FYI: My opinion is Model 3 better than Model S": FYI: My opinion is Model 3 > Model S

@phantasms thanks for your contribution of that thread.

This is a clip from Tesla Motors Club Podcast #32. The full podcast video is available here:

Reactions: phantasms
There isn't a "better" one. Just different.

Both VERY fast compared to anything short of an exotic-level gas vehicle.

M3P quick on its feet, more agile, more efficient.

MSP more comfortable, faster in a straight line, not as nimble or efficient.
Agree. Depends on what you want. If the cost were the same I'd take the Model S. But I like having $$ in my wallet.

I've never driven a Plaid, but I did spend about 30 min driving a refreshed '22 Model S. It did feel very fast, and gave me a perspective on size and handling.

I'm on my second M3P, and would have seriously thought about going to a Plaid (instead of my second M3P) if the Model S was a bit more nimble.

My original M3P was bone stock, and the only change I've made to the second one is to downsize from the 20x9" Uberturbine wheels to OEM 19x8.5" Sport V2. I would say it feels even more fun to drive now. I don't have to worry as much about banging the suspension/tires on rough roads. And I think I'm getting about 5% more range, as a bonus.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd and tm1v2
No comparison. I have both and yes the 3 in stock form feels more nimble, but the Plaid can out grip it stock vs stock on turns (wider tires and track mode is stiff in the Plaid). Overal comfort / noise levels are a night and day difference as well.

If you appreciate details, you will like the Plaid. Alcantara everywhere, leather dash, cooled seats, tilt screen, rear fog lights, matrix led lights, wireless rear charging, rear double pane glass, active noise cancellation, piping on seats, 22 speakers vs 15, etc etc.

The list of differences is too vast for me to type up.

In Summary, for under $50k now the 3 Performance has no competition and short of the Rimac or Sapphire neither does the Plaid.

But I like having $$ in my wallet.

My new life goal is to consider $50k walking around cash :)

fb23d71b-170b-4b74-82e4-89f0049e0e80_text.gif

Two different vehicles, not really comparable.

M3P is like a Porsche 911 and the MSPlaid is like a Panamera Turbo S. The performance and price difference is drastic.

If money is no object, you want a grand cruiser and outstanding straight line performance - Model S Plaid is the way to go.

Budget performance is the M3P, what a bang for your money, especially with the new price decrease and tax rebate if you qualify.

Reactions: K.I.T.T.23
M3P is like a Porsche 911 and the MSPlaid is like a Panamera Turbo S. The performance and price difference is drastic.
I owned a 2006 911 Carrera 4 AWD. The M3P is VERY MUCH like my 911. a wee bit more body roll [but I needed new shocks on the 911 so it was rolling more than when I bought it] and the brakes are not as good - meaning not as responsive=- but the combination of regen and brake application works just as well. The 911 obviously will run a lot longer on the track or in an autocross flat out but putting the M3P in track mode helps alot in an autocross situation.

My wife owns a 2021 Refresh Model S dual motor - I don't want to repeat myself but it feels like it handles as a 70's Sedan Deville. It doesn't really - but it has some body roll, the tires are skinny for the weight and it never could keep up with my 911 on the twisties in the hills in southern California. The 911 would always pull away on the curves and the Model S would catch back up on the straights simply from the acceleration performance.

I've had her on a couple of twisty roads here in the Tucson Foothills and its about the same result with the M3P vs her MS. I consistently pull away now since my acceleration is better in the M3P than in the 911 - and her tires just aren't big enough to stop her from pulling off the accelerator in the turns. The M3P is definitely close in performance to my 911. within a whisker certainly and thats not in track mode.

I owned a 2006 911 Carrera 4 AWD. The M3P is VERY MUCH like my 911. a wee bit more body roll [but I needed new shocks on the 911 so it was rolling more than when I bought it] and the brakes are not as good - meaning not as responsive=- but the combination of regen and brake application works just as well. The 911 obviously will run a lot longer on the track or in an autocross flat out but putting the M3P in track mode helps alot in an autocross situation.

My wife owns a 2021 Refresh Model S dual motor - I don't want to repeat myself but it feels like it handles as a 70's Sedan Deville. It doesn't really - but it has some body roll, the tires are skinny for the weight and it never could keep up with my 911 on the twisties in the hills in southern California. The 911 would always pull away on the curves and the Model S would catch back up on the straights simply from the acceleration performance.

I've had her on a couple of twisty roads here in the Tucson Foothills and its about the same result with the M3P vs her MS. I consistently pull away now since my acceleration is better in the M3P than in the 911 - and her tires just aren't big enough to stop her from pulling off the accelerator in the turns. The M3P is definitely close in performance to my 911. within a whisker certainly and thats not in track mode.
Nice to read you're enjoying it. I'm sure you get more looks in your 911. But you can't beat a M3P for hauling people and cargo, yet still keeping pace with a 'proper' sports car.

Add in the fact that you only need to change the windshield wipers and cabin air filter (brake pads will likely last the life of the car), your wallet never has to experience the pain of a Porsche dealer service.