Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Tesla wave / chin hello dead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm starting to see more and more Teslas on the road these days and I'm noticing there are fewer and fewer Tesla waves / chin nod hellos / flash the lights in acknowledgment as there was back in late 2012 through early 2014.

I was at the Greenwich, CT supercharger last night and there was a MC red and the owner didn't do the obligatory (so I thought) hello, or even look at my wife and I in our car. Very strange by Model S standards.

Am I experiencing an aberration, or is this the end of the Tesla greetings?

At first I thought that was me yesterday but we didn't stop for a top up. Made it home with 2 miles to spare ... perfect.

Honestly, by the time I see the other car I just have time for a quick chin nod but it's tough for me to see the other driver behind the window traveling at 40mph in the opposite direction. No idea if they initiated a wave or responded to mine.

I usually nod/wave(If window is open)/flash (Few times, I have hit wrong stock, so other driver doesn't see - Actually, currently I can't even remember which stalk to hit to flash :eek:).
Most times, I see other teslas in opposite directions and before they/I/we have time to respond, we are already past each other. Other times, I have completely missed other tesla and my wife would be astonished that, I didn't see the Tesla :scared:

I usually nod/wave(If window is open)/flash (Few times, I have hit wrong stock, so other driver doesn't see - Actually, currently I can't even remember which stalk to hit to flash :eek:).
It may help to think of it as all visual functions (lights and wipers) being on one stalk. Though, I haven't used the high beams while driving yet, so for all I know I might not think about that in a spontaneous moment.

I'll bet anybody in Signature Red still waves. I flash my lights or give a wave and get maybe a 50% acknowledgement. It's likely the early reservation holders who are still the most enthused about seeing other cars on the road. I love seeing a Model S driving along as I don't get much of a chance to see it from the outside on the road. It always causes me to stare!

Yes, Sig Reds still wave. Roadsters do too.

I'm starting to see more and more Teslas on the road these days and I'm noticing there are fewer and fewer Tesla waves / chin nod hellos / flash the lights in acknowledgment as there was back in late 2012 through early 2014.

I was at the Greenwich, CT supercharger last night and there was a MC red and the owner didn't do the obligatory (so I thought) hello, or even look at my wife and I in our car. Very strange by Model S standards.

Am I experiencing an aberration, or is this the end of the Tesla greetings?

I was only thinking the same thing myself just the other day. Rest assured *I* am still waving and flashing :smile:
Supercharging has been interesting to say the least......!! Made some great friends and the time passes so much quicker. There's been more recently that don't even want to say hello though, guess even Tesla drivers can be grouchy.

I saw a black Tesla ahead of me last week and he pulled over to the middle lane as I approached... I guess he wanted to wave hello, but I actually had to get off the highway so I had to pull in behind him to start merging right... and then I think he must have been confused as to why I was pulling in behind him :) But he waved as he pulled away... Anyway, what I'm saying is - car etiquette can be confusing :)

I've been waving at a lot of Model Ss from the roadster recently, and more often than not I just get a blank stare. I think a lot of current Model S owners don't even recognize a roadster.
@ggr
As a first step in addressing this problem, I volunteer to serve the cause. Please park this "Roadster" you speak of in my driveway and leave me the keys. I promise to write up a full report for the class after evaluating the item for a month or two. Deal? ;)

Same. I think it's because the wave of initial enthusiasts has passed and now there are many non-enthusiast owners? (is that possible?) I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are many more "non-hardcore" owners now that either don't know, don't care, completely oblivious, or are just "too good" for the nod.

Same. I think it's because the wave of initial enthusiasts has passed and now there are many non-enthusiast owners? (is that possible?) I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are many more "non-hardcore" owners now that either don't know, don't care, completely oblivious, or are just "too good" for the nod.

Yeah, I've seen this transformation as the Model S density has increased exponentially here in NorCal since early 2013. I do wave at every Tesla that I see but, on too many occasions, I've not had a response leaving me feeling silly and self-conscious (more so when my son's in the back and asks why I'm waving at some stranger).

Still, the occasional response - from a Signature owner recently as I passed him on 101 near Great America - is really cool.

I've been waving at a lot of Model Ss from the roadster recently, and more often than not I just get a blank stare. I think a lot of current Model S owners don't even recognize a roadster.

Same experience here. I find the Roadster gets a lot of attention, but mostly from non-Tesla owners. Friends and strangers both are shocked and disappointed when I tell them it is out of production.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. It seems a lot of recent Tesla owners just made a car-buying decision and that is that. There is nowhere near the same passion that most of those of us here still exhibit. I suppose it had to come, but it is still a bit of a downer.

Heck, I actually wave at anything electric as I applaud those who can't (or aren't willing to) afford a Tesla but are willing to buy a shorter range EV. Unfortunately for the EV industry, it is rare here to see any other EV's other than Tesla's. I gave a thumbs up to a BMW i3 the other day, the first I had seen on the road. They rolled down their window and they gave me the lowdown on their experience which was very positive.

I agree. It seems a lot of recent Tesla owners just made a car-buying decision and that is that. There is nowhere near the same passion that most of those of us here still exhibit. I suppose it had to come, but it is still a bit of a downer.
Again, I see this as a positive. As the decision for the "passionless" crowd to buy Tesla becomes common, it means Tesla's gone mainstream -- and you might want to get some more stock before that sinks in to the investor market as a whole.

Yes, Sig Reds still wave. Roadsters do too.

Pulled up next to this Sig red on I290. No response to my honk, smile and wave :(

Sig red Tesla on I290.PNG

With the Prius generation 2 cars (2004+), the wave/nod lasted until 2006 or 2007 in the Midwest. I think that even with fewer total Model S cars (versus the same time with the Prius from first sale) on the road we have gotten soooo much attention from other people that we sometimes find ourselves either starring straight ahead avoiding eye contact or wondering why we don't get a high five from everyone we see. Also I believe that many Model S owners do not instantly recognize other Model S cars on the road. My Model S is often parked next to my partner's Audi A7. They look very similar. The Prius looked very different from all other cars in 2004.