Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a thread for tech vs non tech package discussion?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am close to finalizing my order. the only thing i keep going back and forth on is the tech package.

Honestly, I like to use my iphone for navigation (even though my car has nav). If i get the tech package, I hope the turn by turn is at least on par with google maps on the iphone.

the doors: without tech, do you have to use the buttons on the fob? does touching the door handles work when the car is locked?

Xenon lights are a consideration but not $4k. I can't believe halogens are even offerred on a vehicle like this.

the main things for me are the seat profiles, xenon, and sort of nav.

please share your thoughts.

right now, the only option i've picked is the pano roof. this is for a 40kw

Thanks for the input. I agree, this is the first car I see as a gadget more than a car. the tech package definitely adds to the gadgetry.

Is there any way to open the power hatch without buttons? I rented a 5 series recently and loved the wave foot under bumper trick to open the trunk. usefull when your hands are full.

Does the non-tech not have a GPS sensor at all?

To answer a couple of your questions:

You do not have to press the fob to unlock the car, the handles just do not autopresent, as you say, you have to touch the handle.

The non-tech does have a GPS sensor, but it is pretty pointless. Your position will show up on google maps but you cannot get directions.

There is no way to open the trunk without buttons on either tech or non tech.

Additionally, homelink is nice, have had it on my last couple cars and don't think I could go back to clippling an ugly box on my visor.

I opted to go without the tech package and I'm still happy. I only wanted the Tech package for the navigation and it was too steep of a price for just navigation. I just use my phone's google maps and redirect the sound through bluetooth. For what I wanted, the cost of the tech package was too high. I never owned a luxury vehicle before so HID, homelink, etc aren't missed by me. Given my budget for the car I also had a choice of more options with the 60kWh pack or get the 85kWh w/o as many options.

There was also some talk that in the future turn by turn directions would be supported by the big screen and would also be available to non-tech package owners. If I can find the link I'll post it.

The non-tech lights on the car are plenty bright. Might even be too bright. Some people on small roads think I'm high beaming them.

A few threads exist about tech vs non-tech. Scroll down to the Similar Threads section in this page.

I went tech and I'm happy with it. Was it a little over-priced? Sure, but, meh. I like nav, turn-by-turn, auto-present handles, high-def camera (but I haven't seen the regular one), Electrochromatic mirrors, power liftgate (love this), and HomeLink. Um, Tesla's site says memory seats...hmm, gotta ask about that. ;-)

I was prepared to forego leather and pano roof in order to get the tech package, although ultimately my wife convinced to get both. This car deserves it, IMO... It's a rolling electronic tour de force...

I was torn regarding the tech package. Nav, use the iPhone; Xenon lights, useful but not critical; Homelink, nice to have; etc. Note that I had Xenon lights and Homelink on my most recent car so had a point of comparison. In the end I decided to pull the trigger on the tech package (and pass on the pano roof) and, for me, it was the right choice. Integrated nav is great and I love that the Homelink automatically pops up when I arrive home. Ambient lighting is a waste and the electrochromatic side mirrors are just okay

What makes me happy every day, though, is when I walk up to the car and the handles extend for me. It's like a getting a smile...it's happy to see me. It's silly and unnecessary but I love it. Worth $4k? Of course not. But I'm still happy I spent the money.

I'm considering the same situation. In addition to things mentioned, You'll also miss the "LED cornering lights". I believe they are the little squareish lights at the bottom of the bumper (below headlights) that point down and out. They'll turn on as you turn your wheel to either direction.

There are also vertical accent lights in the same area (LEDS?). I'm not sure if those are in Tech pkg or not. Anyone know?

Also various little puddle lamps ... that realy don't matter.

I initially reserved a 40 kWH with tech package. This was before driver profile was moved to tech package. I then later decided tech package money was better spent on 60 kWH battery and supercharger. I got my 60 kWH car just two days back. The only two features of tech package I miss are homelink and nav. There are many fairly small garage door openers I can leave in the center storage area to replace homelink. Not as elegant as button on touchscreen but still unobtrusive and hell of a lot cheaper. Nav would have been great but a $250 garmin can give me a much much better nav system than the one on Tesla (for now at least). So I just couldn't justify the cost of tech package. I would have missed driver profile very much but since I ordered when driver profile was still part of leather package, it worked out for me.

I went with the tech package. HID lights and the Nav system (which is no more expensive than it is on other cars) were the primary drivers. The Nav system is great. No problems in 3G deficit Kansas.

I opted to go without the tech package and I'm still happy. I only wanted the Tech package for the navigation and it was too steep of a price for just navigation. I just use my phone's google maps and redirect the sound through bluetooth. For what I wanted, the cost of the tech package was too high. I never owned a luxury vehicle before so HID, homelink, etc aren't missed by me.

There was also some talk that in the future turn by turn directions would be supported by the big screen and would also be available to non-tech package owners. If I can find the link I'll post it.

I'll second this. It seems the vast majority of people are opting for the Tech Package, but I haven't missed it (much). The turn-by-turn was and remains the biggest draw for me, but as loganss said, I too remember Elon saying explicitly that they hadn't disabled that for non-tech drivers, just that they hadn't enabled it yet. At that point the difference would be the on-board map storage, but I have never lost Google Maps while driving. Having never owned a hatchback before, I will admit I now wish I had the power rear liftgate, but I'm not too upset about it. Homelink would be cool, but like somebody else said, the cubby is a perfect place to store the garage door opener (out of sight but in arm's reach).

One thing I'll point out that I've learned is that there are a couple of chrome accent pieces that are apparently part of the Tech Package. The two fins below the headlights and the piece below the rear bumper will be black instead of chrome without Tech. Personally, I kind of like that, because it matches my black paint job, but I just thought I'd mention it. Oh, and in addition to auto-presenting handles, the auto-locking feature is part of the Tech Package as well. I'll sheepishly admit that I left my car unlocked for the first two weeks, assuming that it was locking when my fob got out of range. Perhaps this would've been covered by my DS at delivery had our time not been cut short.

I somehow managed to get the ground lighting under the door handles and the electrochromatic side mirrors, despite not ordering the Tech Package. I don't know if that was an error at the factory or what, but they are both kind of neat (albeit mostly unnecessary) features.