Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there an app that tells you if supercharger stalls are full?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am waiting for my CPO P85, but for current drivers, is there a way to know if the nearest supercharger is available or full?
Since Tesla monitors the Superchargers themselves, couldn't they just show statuses? At least for registered owners?

There are "crowd sourced" apps that supposedly give you status but whenever I've looked at them the info was days old.

The problem with that app (is there more than 1?) is that it required every Tesla member to proactively participate. Considering that TMC members are only a fraction of the total Tesla owners, and only a fraction of the TMC members use that app, a crowd-sourced app is fairly useless.

And the info also has to be provided by Tesla. Otherwise if someone creates an app that based on your location figures out your proximity to a SpC, it would only work for a small segment of owners who would trust this person with their location data 24/7. Not feasible.

I think under normal circumstances, usage status wouldn't be very helpful. It changes so rapidly, that by the time you arrive, the Supercharger could be very different than when you checked.

I think it would be very useful, however, to show extreme congestion (all stalls full and a line) for the rare, peak use times.

does it matter?

If I'm driving PA to FL, and the chargers are full... I can't exactly go find an Exxon and fill up.

So, while it sucks when they are full... what are you going to do with that info anyway?

Is it critical? No. But, yes, it matters.

The NE corridor has more chargers than necessary, even for my small 70kwh battery. If I know DE is packed to the brim when I drive out and there's a wait of 10 cars, I'll pass and go to the next one going north (Jersey has plenty of SpC's)

Another example in the NE corridor, going through CT to MA, there are 2 routes which are both supercharged (I95 and route 15) and will get me to the same place, if one of them is packed, I'll take the other route.

The problem with that app (is there more than 1?) is that it required every Tesla member to proactively participate. Considering that TMC members are only a fraction of the total Tesla owners, and only a fraction of the TMC members use that app, a crowd-sourced app is fairly useless.

And the info also has to be provided by Tesla. Otherwise if someone creates an app that based on your location figures out your proximity to a SpC, it would only work for a small segment of owners who would trust this person with their location data 24/7. Not feasible.

The one I was thinking about is an iOS app called "Superchargers". I'm sure there's more but you're right, not very reliable or timely.

Is it critical? No. But, yes, it matters.

The NE corridor has more chargers than necessary, even for my small 70kwh battery. If I know DE is packed to the brim when I drive out and there's a wait of 10 cars, I'll pass and go to the next one going north (Jersey has plenty of SpC's)

Another example in the NE corridor, going through CT to MA, there are 2 routes which are both supercharged (I95 and route 15) and will get me to the same place, if one of them is packed, I'll take the other route.

Max, I agree with you, it does matter, sometimes. If a location is full, then maybe I'd skip it and hit the next one.

There have been requests by users (i.e. by andrewket) to include not only supercharger usage but also guidance in the onboard navigation system on which stall number to take in order to optimize charging speed. I am in the opinion that there is no such thing as too much info presented to the user so I do agree current and historic station utilization will be good even if not fool-proof.

The Tesla waze page recently added functionality for this. There is a thread about it somewhere on here but I'm on my phone so can't dig it up.

It runs right on the browser in the car. It's crowdsourced also, but like all crowdsourced things, if enough people use it...

I use it anyway to tell me where speedtraps, accidents, etc are

The Tesla waze page recently added functionality for this.
do you know how a person can input info onto the waze for tesla app? I know that I can't. another huge flaw with this concept is the incredibly low percentage of tesla drivers who use the waze app.
FWIW: excepting for parts of CA, the one in Syosset NY and the SC in DE I have never witnessed any sort of overcrowding of superchargers, so for me this really hasn't been an issue.

do you know how a person can input info onto the waze for tesla app? I know that I can't. another huge flaw with this concept is the incredibly low percentage of tesla drivers who use the waze app.
FWIW: excepting for parts of CA, the one in Syosset NY and the SC in DE I have never witnessed any sort of overcrowding of superchargers, so for me this really hasn't been an issue.

I haven't been to a SC since the change was implemented, but it's supposed to detect that you're at a SC and pop up a box asking you to report status.

It's brand new, so I'm sure there aren't a lot of people using it, but you have to start somewhere...

I haven't been to a SC since the change was implemented, but it's supposed to detect that you're at a SC and pop up a box asking you to report status.

It's brand new, so I'm sure there aren't a lot of people using it, but you have to start somewhere...

The tesla waze site has been around for about 9 months now. The advantage of this kind of implementation is that it's passive: Users with the website up are automatically detected when they go through a supercharger. There's no need to check-in or anything. It's also a website that can run in the tesla browser vs other implementations that require you to use your phone, many of which don't offer an android version or vice-versa.

The active part of the website allows users to report queue depth.

Between the 3 pieces of info (# stalls, # detected, and reported waiting) users can get much better picture of what to expect on arrival.

Oh ya, and you get waze reported incidents as an added bonus (e.g. hidden cops, traffic accidents, construction, road closures, etc..).

The tesla waze site has been around for about 9 months now. The advantage of this kind of implementation is that it's passive: Users with the website up are automatically detected when they go through a supercharger. There's no need to check-in or anything. It's also a website that can run in the tesla browser vs other implementations that require you to use your phone, many of which don't offer an android version or vice-versa.

The active part of the website allows users to report queue depth.

Between the 3 pieces of info (# stalls, # detected, and reported waiting) users can get much better picture of what to expect on arrival.

Oh ya, and you get waze reported incidents as an added bonus (e.g. hidden cops, traffic accidents, construction, road closures, etc..).
I never tried to enter any info on the Waze browser app regarding the Superchargers (the one's I've used are almost always empty), but it looks like the browser version of Waze now does have the ability to enter a choice for # of cars queued at a SC location waiting to charge (multiple choice). Not sure if it's functional in the browser version of the app, but it looks like it is.