Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there any evidence that phantom braking occurs when there a possibility of ear end?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we all know Phantom breaking is a thing, we have all experienced it. Some more than others.

Something I have noticed, however, is that every time I have experienced aggressive Phantom breaking, there has never been anybody behind me.

Does the car actually know that there is nobody behind me and that it is safe to apply aggressive braking, or has it just been a coincidence?

I can attest to the fact that it can happen when there is somebody behind you. On a curvy, two-lane road I drive everyday, the phantom braking is particularly bad, especially in bright sunlight over the tree-covered road. It will phantom brake/accelerate whether anyone is behind you or not. Of course in my area, frequent phantom braking with someone behind you makes them just drive closer to your bumper, because they think you are brake checking them. This is even the case (or maybe even more so) if you have multiple "Please Be Patient - Student Driver" stickers on the back of your car like I do.

u are brake checking them. This is even the case (or maybe even more so) if you have multiple "Please Be Patient - Student Driver" stickers on the back of your car like I do.
Did you put that on there because of the phantom breaking o because you are actually a student driver?

I was actually thinking about putting the sticker on there as well? Maybe "caution vehicle makes frequent stops" would be a better sticker?

• Funny
Reactions: Ramphex
Does the car actually know that there is nobody behind me and that it is safe to apply aggressive braking, or has it just been a coincidence?
I think it doesn't do it when it can see a car ahead of it, so if you are in traffic with someone behind you, then no, it doesn't happen. If you are on open road with someone following you, then yes it happens.

I'm a little nervous about this too - so I have trained myself to be ready to press the accelerator if needed. I don't have severe PB - usually just mild/moderate. And I have two custom stickers on the back warning people that I'm a self-driving test vehicle and that sudden breaking may occur. Good thing is that in California, rear-ending someone is automatically the fault of the rear person - so I'm not too worried about insurance or being financially responsible.

So we all know Phantom breaking is a thing, we have all experienced it. Some more than others.

Something I have noticed, however, is that every time I have experienced aggressive Phantom breaking, there has never been anybody behind me.

I was going 70 miles and then my car jolted no one I. Front of me and started slowling down and someone was behind me almost collided with us.