Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this 20% Tint or 35%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked the tint guy to give me 35% for the full back windshield (so we can still see through the sunroof) and 20% on passenger front and back.

This doesn't look like 20% and it seems so light. I took my car to another tint shop to get a quotation and said "this looks like 35%, the brand they used (suntek) only offers 35% and 18%."

That definitely doesn't look like 18%. What do you guys think? The owner is saying its the white interior and all teslas are like that. The owner was kind of quick with it (didn't want to me to stay to watch the tint and offered a ride home) and I feel like the guys just did 35% all around and forgot I wanted 20% for the passenger windows.

IMG_4597.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Jamezam
Also the employee working on the couldn't look me in the eye after I picked it up after being so social before. I know thats kind of a reach, it could have been something e3lse.

but I spent $871 for everything and he seems like hes going to be difficult. What should I do?

I like very light tints and would never even ask for 35% on the fronts. Your sides look almost perfect to me (someone who likes a light tint). I've used 35% and have received much darker look than what they told you is 20%. I'm doubtful it's even 35% let alone 18%. 18% even with a white interior should be way darker than what you have. I have 70% on the sides and yours is barely darker.

If they're uncooperative it will be a challenge. If at all possible, find another Model 3 owner with 18% and get them to go there with you so you can show them the difference. Unacceptable.

I have 30% all around with Suntek CIR and looks about the same as you have in the pictures.

Definitely not darker for sure, it's probably 35% like you are thinking of for the passenger windows. Suntek should have it in most percentages for sure, which Suntek Tint did they install?

I have 30% all around with Suntek CIR and looks about the same as you have in the pictures.

Definitely not darker for sure, it's probably 35% like you are thinking of for the passenger windows. Suntek should have it in most percentages for sure, which Suntek Tint did they install?

Suntek Carbon. Is that enough info? My friend referred them because he got a good quote but hes more car savvy.

I am a car noob, never got tints and this is my first car and he probably took that into consideration.

He never mentioned brands, just said the type. (where as the place I went to today was so thorough with all the brands and pricing). I figured out the brand he was using after (bunch of suntek brand on the floor, when I thought premium pricing meant 3M)

I definitely think he gave 35% either by mistake or his doing (he kept going why do you wanna go so dark dont you wanna show off your white interior). Since the other tint auto shop said Suntek Carbon doesn't make 20% only 18% and 35% and when customer ask for 20% shops usually give them the suntek carbon 18%

One thing is the guy that does the actual tinting seemed disturbed when I talked to him and avoided talking to me when I picked up the car. something is fishy.

But is there anything I can do for him to honor it? I will try that tinting tool out.

Suntek Carbon. Is that enough info? My friend referred them because he got a good quote but hes more car savvy.

I am a car noob, never got tints and this is my first car and he probably took that into consideration.

He never mentioned brands, just said the type. (where as the place I went to today was so thorough with all the brands and pricing). I figured out the brand he was using after (bunch of suntek brand on the floor, when I thought premium pricing meant 3M)

I definitely think he gave 35% either by mistake or his doing (he kept going why do you wanna go so dark dont you wanna show off your white interior). Since the other tint auto shop said Suntek Carbon doesn't make 20% only 18% and 35% and when customer ask for 20% shops usually give them the suntek carbon 18%

One thing is the guy that does the actual tinting seemed disturbed when I talked to him and avoided talking to me when I picked up the car. something is fishy.

But is there anything I can do for him to honor it? I will try that tinting tool out.

Suntek Carbon goes from 5% to 80 or 85% (depends if Carbon vs CXP), you can look into the specs from here, and pick the tint: Automotive Films | SunTek

The shops that you went to and get a look up probably don't have stock for other tint levels, because other tint levels exists for them. Definitely get the tint meter tool, that should be enough proof otherwise.

Man, paying $871 for just carbon tint, I think you paid quite a bit too much, sorry to say. I got Suntek CIR (ceramic tint) for about $200 cheaper, 30% front/back passenger windows, rear window in one piece, and also 80% for front windshield.

Your installer is an idiot for going against your opinions/needs about how dark you want it to be, if they are really being difficult, consider a charge back, if you paid with a credit card.

Suntek Carbon goes from 5% to 80 or 85% (depends if Carbon vs CXP), you can look into the specs from here, and pick the tint: Automotive Films | SunTek

The shops that you went to and get a look up probably don't have stock for other tint levels, because other tint levels exists for them. Definitely get the tint meter tool, that should be enough proof otherwise.

Man, paying $871 for just carbon tint, I think you paid quite a bit too much, sorry to say. I got Suntek CIR (ceramic tint) for about $200 cheaper, 30% front/back passenger windows, rear window in one piece, and also 80% for front windshield.

Your installer is an idiot for going against your opinions/needs about how dark you want it to be, if they are really being difficult, consider a charge back, if you paid with a credit card.

man where did you go I also stay in LA.

I guess its a learning experience. Definitely should of called a friend before making a decision, how dumb of me.

man where did you go I also stay in LA.

I guess its a learning experience. Definitely should of called a friend before making a decision, how dumb of me.

If $871 was the price for ceramic tint, I think that would of been more reasonable.

I went to Concours Auto Spa in Torrance location (I believe they also have another location somewhere else), it's not exactly in LA, but it was close to my work location so I went with them, after messaging a couple other places around.

You live and you learn, we all have been there. Next time, consider asking other places for quotes.

That definitely does not look like 18%. I know the way tints appear can vary significantly with lighting conditions, especially in photos. However, I currently have 25% tint on mine (white seats also) and they look darker than that. I've had 15% and 20% tint on previous cars and trust me, at night you will have problems seeing unless you roll down the window. If you are seeing perfectly clear at night then I'm betting it's 35%. FYI I actually had 35% tint on my Model 3 before changing to 25% since I felt it wasn't dark enough for my taste. It's definitely very noticeable going from 35 to 25. Both in terms of outside looking in and vice versa.

I don't blame you for being upset. You just wasted $800. I find it very shady of the owner to try and deceive a customer like that. It's not your fault. My guess is the shop probably ran out of 18% so they just gave you 35% and hoped you didn't know the difference. I would leave them a negative review on Yelp and include the pictures. You can also try doing a chargeback with your CC company but it's going to be difficult to prove your case.

I wouldn’t go back to the same shop. You already don’t trust them now.

I think you need to measure it to really know. My 20% tint with white interior doesn't really look any darker than yours when in the sun. The white really changes everything with how much light reflects inside the car. Tinting the roof could change how it looks too. I only tinted my rear, the roof doesn't need it here.

Using a couple different apps with my phones light sensor confirms I really got 20 and not something lower.

My installer had 30% on his Model 3 with white interior so I knew I wanted it a bit darker. In the end it really didn't look all that much darker.

Thanks everyone for their reply, it just not helped out from a technical standpoint but just getting over ripped off mentally. It was bothering me, just got my first new car after years of working hard only to get jipped because I got the new car jitters and didn't get quotes from anyone else.

I've decided 15% on Front 5% on back for the passenger windows. 3M Cermaic for $360

I've been told by friends and other workers that it should be OK as long as you don't drive like a douche or do anything suspicious. (I live in LA/California)

As for the windshield, sun roof and rear windows I'm going to redo later to go easy on the wallet.

These are what I want to get for that rest

Windshield: 60 or 70 % (I wish I can go 50% on the windshield but I'd feel like the cops would take notice

Rear window & Sunroof: I have 35% now but I can still see inside. I'm thinking around 20% or 15% anyone have experience driving with 20% or 15% on the rear window and sunroof? How does 5% fair lol, I've literally been checking out every cars tints since then, smh at not doing it before.

Edit: Dude at the new place was much more informative and professional. He was so much more clear on branding, pricing and wanted me to wait and see after the passenger windows and then decide on the the windshield, sunroof/rear window before I go forward with it.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for their reply, it just not helped out from a technical standpoint but just getting over ripped off mentally. It was bothering me, just got my first new car after years of working hard only to get jipped because I got the new car jitters and didn't get quotes from anyone else.

I've decided 15% on Front 5% on back for the passenger windows. 3M Cermaic for $360

I've been told by friends and other workers that it should be OK as long as you don't drive like a douche or do anything suspicious. (I live in LA/California)

As for the windshield, sun roof and rear windows I'm going to redo later to go easy on the wallet.

These are what I want to get for that rest

Windshield: 60 or 70 % (I wish I can go 50% on the windshield but I'd feel like the cops would take notice

Rear window & Sunroof: I have 35% now but I can still see inside. I'm thinking around 20% or 15% anyone have experience driving with 20% or 15% on the rear window and sunroof? How does 5% fair lol, I've literally been checking out every cars tints since then, smh at not doing it before.

Edit: Dude at the new place was much more informative and professional. He was so much more clear on branding, pricing and wanted me to wait and see after the passenger windows and then decide on the the windshield, sunroof/rear window before I go forward with it.
Do you have any experience driving with tinted windows? 15% can be a pain in the ass at night.