Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a valid concern? Charge Port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was in a Model 3 conversation with another Reservation holder yesterday, when he said something that I've been unable to wipe from my thoughts since. Based on this image:
kOusYJb.jpg

He suggests that it appears that the recharge port is <1> Manually operated and <2> Not Lockable. If this is the case, he pointed out that a $5 tube of Epoxy squirted directly into the charge port would make the Model 3 unusable pending a presumably expensive repair. The assumption is that the charge port itself would then be gummed full of solid epoxy rendering it unusable. If he's right, this reeks a bit like an EV version of sugar in a gas tank. Does anyone have any information on the locking status of the charge port cover on the Model 3? Have any such instances ever been reported on other EV's with manual charge ports?

• Informative
Reactions: sports4eva115
It's as valid as anyone doing anything to damage a car.

If someone wants to damage your car, they will... damage your car.
Dash-cams, a garage, and insurance are about all you can do.

Sugar in the Gas Tank.

Besides, it would be much more fun to pour oil on it. If you're into that sort of thing.
Personally, I think messing with anyone's car... well... you'd want me on the jury if you were the car owner.

It could be both lockable and automatic, with the mechanism hidden inside the the car.

Why would you worry about this? If someone wants to wreck your car their are hundreds of ways to do it. Keying, window broken, knife in the tires, the list is practically endless. I'd be more happy that the simplicity of the design means that it will be less likely to break.

It could be both lockable and automatic, with the mechanism hidden inside the the car.

Why would you worry about this? If someone wants to wreck your car their are hundreds of ways to do it. Keying, window broken, knife in the tires, the list is practically endless. I'd be more happy that the simplicity of the design means that it will be less likely to break.

Yes, you are right. Just got this mind-worm planted yesterday and using the forum to extricate it. :) The simple truth is that even with a locking cover, that same tube of epoxy could seal the cover closed so lockability isn't really a solution. Further, said same tube of Epoxy could seal ICE gas tank covers, and I can't recall ever hearing of that being done- so not really a legit concern.

Last edited:
Someone who would go as far as epoxy a charge port...

can also unscrew the unlocked valve stems and deflate your tires

remove the unlocked wiper blades

spray grease/oil on your windshield

remove your unlocked lug nuts

on any car... can't expect Tesla to prevent a-holes from being a-holes.

• Helpful
Reactions: David99 and AndreN
I expected the Tesla Car-Sharing Network of the future will require that the car can take itself somewhere to be charged - so the port has to be opened and shut/locked without human intervention.

It's a good point. But probably Tesla Car-Sharing Network would be supercharged from the bottom, like patent recently released. I don't think it would be with snake hose.

So I was in a Model 3 conversation with another Reservation holder yesterday, when he said something that I've been unable to wipe from my thoughts since. Based on this image:
kOusYJb.jpg

He suggests that it appears that the recharge port is <1> Manually operated and <2> Not Lockable. If this is the case, he pointed out that a $5 tube of Epoxy squirted directly into the charge port would make the Model 3 unusable pending a presumably expensive repair. The assumption is that the charge port itself would then be gummed full of solid epoxy rendering it unusable. If he's right, this reeks a bit like an EV version of sugar in a gas tank. Does anyone have any information on the locking status of the charge port cover on the Model 3? Have any such instances ever been reported on other EV's with manual charge ports?

REALLY?

That's like saying what if someone punctures your tires with a steak knife. Or what if someone superglues your doorhandles shut.

The WHAT IFS are f'n ridiculous.

I expected the Tesla Car-Sharing Network of the future will require that the car can take itself somewhere to be charged - so the port has to be opened and shut/locked without human intervention.

May or may not be true. The port should be motorized, but the robot arm that plugs into the car would use sensors to find the port, and maybe even a magnet head to open the cover once it was unlocked.

I'm not so worried about epoxy in the charge port. It's the white glue and yellow wood glues that are the problem. Charge port epoxyers are pretty old-school these days. The other major problem is the hot melt glue - there's a power source right there, too. I'm cancelling my model 3 right now.

• Funny
Reactions: lunitiks
kOusYJb.jpg

It's lockable. Just like the S & X, it locks when the car is locked.

Really jumping to conclusions from one picture of what may not even be the production version charge port. Give Tesla a little credit for knowing how to make charge ports and doors-- they've been doing it a while. Is there nothing more important you have to worry about?

Reactions: Falkirk