Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is This the Tesla Semi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the Tesla Semi unveiling just weeks away, a reddit user has posted a photo that may be our first look at a prototype of the vehicle.

The photo shows the truck being delivered to “an undisclosed place in California where they test Tesla vehicles.” The trucks shape resembles the shadowy rendering Tesla previously teased.

tesla_semi.jpeg
The Tesla Semi uses a cab-over design that’s more easily accomplished by the fact it does not use a hulking diesel engine, instead it uses electric motors located between the axles. The photo also shows a large silver object sitting on the ground that appears to be an air deflector commonly placed on the top of the semis to achieve greater aerodynamics. Tesla will surely be pulling out every trick to reach the efficiency necessary for long range trucking powered by battery. Elon Musk says the truck will offer a range of up to 300 miles.

Screen-Shot-2017-10-03-at-10.15.50-AM.png

Tesla plans to unveil the Tesla Semi at an event scheduled for October 26 at the Design Center in Hawthorne, Calif.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: rrosenbl
I do tire of the secrecy. Not just this, but the only way to get a good look at the Model 3 is to drive to California and cruise Tesla-related parking lots? Or wait for a detailer to post a YouTube video? Really? It's a released car! Tesla should have released a detailed and slickly-produced walkthrough video within 24 hours of the release event.

And I say this not just as an owner, but a TSLA investor. Rather than highlight clear accomplishments and reward natural interest, they stoke secrecy which begets distrust.

P.S.: nice looking truck!

Reactions: ikjadoon
Mybe.jpg

I tend to agree that it kind of appears to be a truck. At least that's what the object in the picture seems to resemble.

(DISCLAIMER: This is just my subjective impression. I might absolutely be dead wrong, of course.)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Model 3
Screen-Shot-2017-10-03-at-10.15.50-AM.png

With the Tesla Semi unveiling just weeks away, a reddit user has posted a photo that may be our first look at a prototype of the vehicle. The photo shows the truck being delivered to “an undisclosed place in California where they test Tesla vehicles.” The trucks shape resembles the shadowy rendering Tesla previously teased....
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2017/10/03/is-this-the-tesla-semi/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
Great scoop! Looks as I would expect from the reveal photo at www./tesla.com/truck though they appear to have changed the windshield and the roof top fairing previously looked to be seamless. I'd love to see how they treated the Tesla insignia but I'll have to be patient. Any more photos avail? Would be grateful for any other. Look forward to covering on Talking Tesla #107 Tuesday 10/10.

I'm convinced this is the Tesla Mega Semi. The wind deflector on the left of the original photo when added on top of the cab seals the deal.

Why "Mega"? Well, as pontificated on Reddit, to get 300 miles of range hauling and some buffer to manage battery degradation well, then 1000kWh battery seems about right.

Also, the trailer hasn't been discussed much, though this is a key contributor of drag to overcome - perhaps as much as the lower Cd of the cab design. Maybe there's some expectation of a trailer being designed with this in mind, though towing existing trailers has to be considered; there's also some weird tech like: Glowing aerodynamic add-ons could boost big-rig fuel economy by 7-10% - SAE International that might be interesting.

Semi-truck should have average fuel consumption of around 30-40l/100km, that is 5-6 more than
efficient modern diesel car (BMW 5-series is comparable to Model S size).
I suppose energy use increase per distance will be around the same for trucks compared to Model S.
So 100kWh pack gives us 500km on S and 5-6 times less on a truck, so 85-100km.
To get 300 miles pack of around 500kW is required. Though trucks will have much deeper cycles,
therefore no less than 700kW would be acceptable I suppose.
600kg per 100kWh, so 700kW would be around 4-4,5 metric tons. That's actually not a lot for tractor.
That's half of what tractors usually weigh (no trailer). I see potential that it is very doable in real life.
But I can't find a way to charge trucks faster than 200-250kW without cumbersome connections.

So Tesla (Musk) wants to move in to the truck market. Is the Semi truck cab the best first entry point? I don't think so. Semi Truck have to travel long distances and meet specific timelines. I think the public and private local fleet vehicles are a better first step. Yesterday, I was following a Yellow School Bus on the local road. Think about it. School buses have a specific daily route. They park in lots at night and could be easily charged in mass. The Routes could be planned so that the range is not an issue. Parents would pay to have their kids ride in a non-diesel fum vehicle. Local Governments buy these vehicles and so funding is assured. Credits by Federal and State are possible. The public goodwill would be outstanding. Telsa could do its software features to them. Like tracking of the buses. Parents could see where the bus is at all times and when it would arrive at their stop as just one simple example. After school buses other fleet vehicles that have local routes are a fit. Public Transport, Postal, UPS, FEDEX, Garbage, etc.

IMO, there are many truck fleets that are a better first step. Long Haul trucking is not the best first step given limited resources and time.