Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is torque steer normal during a Ludicrous Launch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could anyone who has experience with a P100DL share your thoughts about what you have observed with torque steer?

I've yet to do a full Ludicrous launch for more than 2-3 seconds, as I stay around the posted speed limit but I've noticed torque steer during these launches and wanted to see if this is normal.

One of the first times I tried a Ludicrous launch, I sprained one of my fingers(!) based on how I was holding the steering wheel in my effort to hold the car steady. Since then, I make sure to have a form grip on the steering wheel :p

Does anyone know the actual horsepower generated at peak acceleration? I've seen widely different numbers online.

The car's alignment was checked when I swapped the wheels to 19" whens so the wheels and tires (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 PLUS) have barely 1,000 miles.

I'm also learning the best way to speed up to the speed of traffic, as quickly as possible, after turning from another street... If anyone has any tips or suggestions for Ludicrous launches or turning onto a street (90 degrees) with maximum acceleration in a safe way, please share them.

As I get to know the car, I want to handle the power as safely as possible.

with a fully depressed pedal launch from 0 I find it's very easy for the wheel to turn. I have to hold it pretty tight, and it depends a lot on the road. That said I've never had it turn so much that it got even close to hurting me. Freshly paved roads are way easier to launch on. Any small bumps will cause loss of steering and probably traction will stop you from getting a full launch

question for you, do you lose grip with those tires on launches? even with my pilot sport 3s i sometimes lose grip or get squeaks unless I'm on a very flat road

What steering setting do you have it set to? Mine is on the middle one and it feels pretty effortless to launch, the car goes totally straight. I've only ever launched straight though, I don't think full throttle launch from 0 around a corner is good for the car at all! I do launch with both hands firmly on the wheel.

Driven a brand new P100DL a few times; only launched in a straight line—tires on all corners broke traction for a moment. Notice perhaps a minor amount of torque steer but nothing what I would consider memorable. I could see where acceleration around a corner would exacerbate the snappiness of torque steer. Be careful out there people...

I've never noticed torque steer in my P100DL - but I used to get it all the time in the Saab 900 turbo I owned many years ago!

I do have my Tesla's steering set to the "Sport" (extra firm) setting - so this might (possibly) help; I've found that I get a better "feel" using the Sport mode, although the steering is still a bit too "dead" around the centre position (probably because of the electric power steering).

Most of the time, the P100DL uses its powerful rear motor, but the front motor is used when required - and, presumably, during launch control. If you're regularly noticing torque steer, it might be worth checking your front wheel alignment.

You are trying to apply maximum acceleration while turning?

Of course not! I would turn 90 degrees from a side street, settle into a lane, and then accelerate, so it's not really even a launch. I need to accelerate quickly here because some shrubs block my view of oncoming traffic and people drive very fast so I want to get away from anything coming my way as quickly as possible. This is when I most notice the torque steer where I'm making an effort to hold the steering wheel steady and straight. The first time I was not prepared for the level of effort is when I sprained a finger :p I hold the steering well firm with a different grip now.

with a fully depressed pedal launch from 0 I find it's very easy for the wheel to turn. I have to hold it pretty tight, and it depends a lot on the road. That said I've never had it turn so much that it got even close to hurting me. Freshly paved roads are way easier to launch on. Any small bumps will cause loss of steering and probably traction will stop you from getting a full launch

question for you, do you lose grip with those tires on launches? even with my pilot sport 3s i sometimes lose grip or get squeaks unless I'm on a very flat road

With the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus tires what I notice is that the wheels seem to slip for a split second while the car dials in traction, then it hooks up to the road, and flies! This happens very quickly. Mind you mine are performance all season tires and I was wondering if the momentary slip would go away with summer performance tires but I think this initial slight slip was there even with the 21" summer performance Pilot Sport 4 tires that came with the car.This is a separate matter though from the torque steer.

What steering setting do you have it set to? Mine is on the middle one and it feels pretty effortless to launch, the car goes totally straight. I've only ever launched straight though, I don't think full throttle launch from 0 around a corner is good for the car at all! I do launch with both hands firmly on the wheel.

As a rule, I only launch on a straight road with no traffic in front of me. Don't want to startle anyone and find myself in a place no one expected! I used to have the steering in the middle setting but I moved it to comfort thinking it will help me more easily maintain steering control. Perhaps the middle setting is better(?)

Thanks all for chiming in that the car really shouldn't have torque steer at launch so I will do some more testing to figure out exactly when and how this is happening.

Could the front suspension/linkage/shaft potentially contribute to torque steer?

It's not normal. I only have a P85DL, but it puts out the same power as the P100DL until about 35 MPH at which point the P85DL is no longer traction limited and the P100DL still is because it continues to build power up to about 45 MPH when it is no longer traction limited.

Perhaps the middle setting is better

Try the Sport setting. If you still experience torque steer with this setting, I'd recommend getting your wheel alignment checked.

(For the record, I've tried full acceleration with the stock Michelin Pilot Super Sport (Summer) tyres - and also the Pirelli SottoZero 3 (Winter) tyres. Neither gives torque steer, although the Winter tyres aren't as grippy as the Summer tyres on full launch.)