Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with Tesla app on iPhone 12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one with this issue. I am on Firstnet (AT&T for those who don't know) as well and have had this EXACTLY issue since iOS 14 Beta came out (several months ago) (does work on wifi) my only work around has been to use the "Tesla Remote" app. Now-- I did *just* try the "Settings —> Cellular —> Cellular Data Options —> Voice & Data —> LTE" and change it to 4G FROM LTE and after about 15-20 seconds & it DID work. I saw someone else on a different post about 2-3 months ago said he did have luck by calling AT&T and they 'reset his network'. I'm trying it now (on hold) and will report back if they seem competent enough to understand what it is I'm saying.

Reactions: momoz74
Updated: Called and spoke to Tier 1 and "tier 2" ATT / Firstnet 'technical support'. They were no help and quickly tried to explain to me it was a 3rd party developer issue (Tesla) (ok-- maybe).
I decided to go to the AT&T store this afternoon and explain the story. The manger was more than willing to give me another FirstNet sim to try. It worked!! Even after a restart.

for 30 minutes. At the time of this post, it is no longer working again, except on wifi. I am stumped.

We should (I guess) all start bugging the hell out of Tesla since it works on iOS 13 but not iOS 14.

Updated: Called and spoke to Tier 1 and "tier 2" ATT / Firstnet 'technical support'. They were no help and quickly tried to explain to me it was a 3rd party developer issue (Tesla) (ok-- maybe).
I decided to go to the AT&T store this afternoon and explain the story. The manger was more than willing to give me another FirstNet sim to try. It worked!! Even after a restart.

for 30 minutes. At the time of this post, it is no longer working again, except on wifi. I am stumped.

We should (I guess) all start bugging the hell out of Tesla since it works on iOS 13 but not iOS 14.
Exactly the same issue here. Only noticed it on iPhone 12 (Pro) with iOS 14. Recommend we all tweet it at Elon

The problem is with ATT , not with Tesla. If other carriers are fine it's not the iOS or Tesla app. But don't you worry, ATT will fix it-once they find the security engineer that will understand the issue-safe to say it will be before Tesla will release another model!

The problem is with ATT , not with Tesla. If other carriers are fine it's not the iOS or Tesla app. But don't you worry, ATT will fix it-once they find the security engineer that will understand the issue-safe to say it will be before Tesla will release another model!
This is not necessarily true at all. Tesla's app may have been using a deprecated API. It might have had some special work-around for an AT&T bug that got fixed. It may have just been working by accident and something innocuous that AT&T correctly changed caused it to break. It may be that AT&T implements something correctly that everybody else does wrong.

Many, many possibilities and no good way to guess who is at fault. I used to do QA, and truly the possibilities are endless.

Pretty much Tesla has to debug it. Then they can fix the problem, or pass it on to AT&T and work around it for now if it's an AT&T bug. Almost always, in this sort of situation, it's a problem with a changed interface.

Last edited:
This is not necessarily true at all. Tesla's app may have been using a deprecated API. It might have had some special work-around for an AT&T bug that got fixed. It may have just been working by accident and something innocuous that AT&T correctly changed caused it to break. It may be that AT&T implements something correctly that everybody else does wrong.

Many, many possibilities and no good way to guess who is at fault. I used to do QA, and truly the possibilities are endless.

+1. It's possible it's AT&T, it's possible it isn't, but either way Tesla's customers are uniquely impacted and Tesla has a significantly easier path to escalate to AT&T engineering than the average customer.

I'll also just say, even though it does look suspicious, since it's not impacted on other carriers or even on non-5G phones, it's also odd that it seems to happen only in the Tesla app. I've been using the phone over a week now and haven't noticed any other app having issues.

Reactions: JK20
Well.. Haven't been able to chat with Tesla yet, but I have noticed some other odd behavior with the iPhone 12 Pro (ATT 5G). The Home App (HomeKit) will NOT work on 5g either. My wife still has the iPhone 11 and it works just fine. There is something funky with ATT and their 5g service.. or with apple.

Really not sure where to turn to get further troubleshooting.

No issues with iPhone X and app....another reason to hold off on the iPhone 12.
If you havent seen it, and have an Apple watch, check out Watch for Tesla from the app store. Minimal cost and very convenient (and cool). Essentiall all app functions from the watch.

It has nothing to do with the iPhone 12. I’ve had this issue since July since iOS 14 was released on an IPhone 11 Pro Max. I have been with ATT/ First net for the last year 1/2. You all on the iPhone 12 might have the issue as well, but it is not specific to the brand newly released phone.

It has nothing to do with the iPhone 12. I’ve had this issue since July since iOS 14 was released on an IPhone 11 Pro Max. I have been with ATT/ First net for the last year 1/2. You all on the iPhone 12 might have the issue as well, but it is not specific to the brand newly released phone.

Have you had any luck with getting support with ATT on FirstNet? So.. I would say something in IOS14 and AT&T's networks (FirstNet and 5G).

Have you tried a non-FirstNet SIM on just LTE? That is my next step to prove out/test. When my wife get's back.. I will swap her SIM and see how it responds.

/edit.. so that didn't work duh she is on the same plan which is the 5g plan so it registered and used 5g. clearly though her phone will work with tesla app and home app on cellular data but mine will not. I've reset network settings too thinking that may clear it up.. No luck! I am convinced it's an ATT cellular data issue

Last edited:

@BrandonR22 I think you’ve got a different issue than the one we’re discussing here. I was running the iOS 14 beta since Dev Beta 1 and never had an issue with the Tesla app on the iPhone 11 Pro. Same 14.1 build on iPhone 12 Pro has the issue, whereas on iPhone 11 Pro does not. This one, based on my experience and the descriptions of others in this thread, appears to not be an iOS issue but specific to use on AT&T 5G.

Hi,

‘not sure what started the issue. I have First et as well (AT and T for first responders). Tesla app connects only on WiFi or if you change from LTE to 4G. I suspect the same will apply for 5G you need to downgrade to 4G and restart the app for it to work. The other temporary solution is to place phone to airplane mode shortly. I spoke to First Network engineer 2nd level. They said that is Tesla software want to fix it they have to contact them and they have proper channels to do it. I spoke to Tesla reps many times-they are ignoring this issue completely. I went to service and they told me to wait for iPhone and Tesla app update, both happened recently and still the same issue. Even if this issue from AT and T this has to be escalated on Tesla side, this is their product that does not work. I think we all a should agree that costumer service from Tesla is horrific! They only way to fix this is to complain and put bad reviews about Tesla everywhere, including Apple store, google maps, social media etc. that’s the only way for them to move. Very upsetting situation.

Pretty much Tesla has to debug it. Then they can fix the problem, or pass it on to AT&T and work around it for now if it's an AT&T bug. Almost always, in this sort of situation, it's a problem with a changed interface.

I don't believe it is ATT, I have the same problem on iphone 12 pro with ATT, I take the sim out and place it in my pixel 4a and works perfectly fine all the time and all day long, put the sim back into iphone and does not work

I don't believe it is ATT, I have the same problem on iphone 12 pro with ATT, I take the sim out and place it in my pixel 4a and works perfectly fine all the time and all day long, put the sim back into iphone and does not work
This is not necessary iPhone iOS issue. The app development is is different for iOS and Android. So it’s build differently. The issue is that ATT and Tesla need to talk to fix