Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with Tesla app on iPhone 12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seriously doubt that whining about it is going to make it go faster. What possible use is a negative review on a Tesla store that has nothing to do with fixing the problem? And what qualifies you to know "the only way"?
What is your solution for this. Just wait and see if savior comes? Do nothing? Ignore the problem? The only way that software engineer will look into fixing the issue if the see significant amount of affected consumers. All companies monitor their ratings and reviews. You offer no solution, why to even post here?

What is your solution for this. Just wait and see if savior comes? Do nothing? Ignore the problem? The only way that software engineer will look into fixing the issue if the see significant amount of affected consumers. All companies monitor their ratings and reviews. You offer no solution, why to even post here?
Neither you nor I have solutions, only complaints. We'll have to wait for a software engineer to fix the problem, The only relevant question is whether that process can be speeded up.

If you think that whining here will help, then I think you are deluding yourself. Since Tesla is obviously aware of the problem, I'm sure that they or AT&T or whoever is responsible will eventually get around to fixing it. I don't see any good way to make that happen faster. Especially since we don't even know whose bug it is.

Since Tesla is obviously aware of the problem, I'm sure that they or AT&T or whoever is responsible will eventually get around to fixing it. I don't see any good way to make that happen faster.

I haven't seen evidence they're aware. One poster said the chat support acknowledged it as a known issue, but when I contacted chat support they weren't aware of the issue.

The best chance to ensure it does end up on radar is for multiple customers to independently report the issue via feedback channels (including support, App Store ratings, and the like).

Neither you nor I have solutions, only complaints. We'll have to wait for a software engineer to fix the problem, The only relevant question is whether that process can be speeded up.

If you think that whining here will help, then I think you are deluding yourself. Since Tesla is obviously aware of the problem, I'm sure that they or AT&T or whoever is responsible will eventually get around to fixing it. I don't see any good way to make that happen faster. Especially since we don't even know whose bug it is.
I think that you have no clue

i think that you have no clue at all. I recently communicate with Tesla level 2 support, and they don’t believe that this is wide spread problem. The reason for this are people like you who just sit and wait for miracle to happen. The problem needs to be resolved by Tesla and not ATT, as the issue is with Tesla app. I spoke to ATT support, they don’t see any issues with any other apps on the phone. They need to get communication from Tesla support. So keep waiting for miracle and do nothings, I am sure that the faster way to resolve this issue

I spent a few hours working on something yesterday and I’m curious if it applies here. For those people having the issue, did you swap your sim over from your old phone or are you using the new sim that was provided with it?

I have a similar issue testing an app I’m working on.

I can’t test it with my car yet as it hasn’t been delivered.

On my app, if I use included 5G sim in my iPhone 12 pro I can connect to the app, if I use my wife’s sim (from an iPhone 11) it times out.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Esklyar
I think that you have no clue

i think that you have no clue at all. I recently communicate with Tesla level 2 support, and they don’t believe that this is wide spread problem. The reason for this are people like you who just sit and wait for miracle to happen. The problem needs to be resolved by Tesla and not ATT, as the issue is with Tesla app. I spoke to ATT support, they don’t see any issues with any other apps on the phone. They need to get communication from Tesla support. So keep waiting for miracle and do nothings, I am sure that the faster way to resolve this issue
Think what you like. Tesla has many persistent and well demonstrated issues with internal communications. And AT&T support is utterly useless. So by speaking to them you learn pretty much nothing about what engineering is doing.

Think what you like. Tesla has many persistent and well demonstrated issues with internal communications. And AT&T support is utterly useless. So by speaking to them you learn pretty much nothing about what engineering is doing.

I'll admit, I'm not really getting your point. Are you concerned that customers reporting a big unresolved issue will in some way inconvenience or annoy their support staff?

If Tesla is concerned about redundant reports then they can follow very common industry patterns, like aggregated in app feedback, User Voice, or "Known issues" support pages. Short of that, it seems very reasonable for customers like ourselves to provide a strong enough signal that it both (A) makes it to the engineering team and (B) provides sufficient logs/telemetry to debug.

I'll admit, I'm not really getting your point. Are you concerned that customers reporting a big unresolved issue will in some way inconvenience or annoy their support staff?

If Tesla is concerned about redundant reports then they can follow very common industry patterns, like aggregated in app feedback, User Voice, or "Known issues" support pages. Short of that, it seems very reasonable for customers like ourselves to provide a strong enough signal that it both (A) makes it to the engineering team and (B) provides sufficient logs/telemetry to debug.
What I took issue with was this post, which advocated making a big stink using all available channels. I think that's stupid and ineffective.

Here is what specifically has happened to me two days in a row.
- I am connected to WiFi in my office and connect to Model 3 and get updated info.
- I leave work, walking out to the parking lot and my iPhone 12 switches from Wifi to 5G
- I try to connect to the car but the App never connects and times out.
- I Logout of the App and Log back in , the App now connects to the car and gets updated info while still on 5G.

It seems like the Tesla App gets confused on the switch from WiFi to 5G, not a problem with 5G per se. Just the switch between Wifi and 5G

This is what I got from Tesla. Please all that have issues call their number, posting here does not help!!

tesla: Thank you so much for providing the details that you have, this information will be helpful in our investigation of this issue. I have escalated this for you and have confirmed that an investigation is underway to determine the cause and a fix for this behavior. We don't have an ETA for the fix, but we can recommend reaching out to ATT&T to report the issue so that they are aware of this as well. I will note that the forum posts and reviews you have seen are not able to be reviewed like when an issue is reported to us directly, like you have done, as those posts do not contain the necessary details (such as date and time of issue occurrence, phone's connectivity status, and network speeds) which are needed to fully review a timeout error like what you have been seeing. We do appreciate you taking the time to provide us this information and we appreciate your patience while we work to pursue a fix.

I haven't seen evidence they're aware. One poster said the chat support acknowledged it as a known issue, but when I contacted chat support they weren't aware of the issue.

The best chance to ensure it does end up on radar is for multiple customers to independently report the issue via feedback channels (including support, App Store ratings, and the like).
From Tesla:Thank you so much for providing the details that you have, this information will be helpful in our investigation of this issue. I have escalated this for you and have confirmed that an investigation is underway to determine the cause and a fix for this behavior. We don't have an ETA for the fix, but we can recommend reaching out to ATT&T to report the issue so that they are aware of this as well. I will note that the forum posts and reviews you have seen are not able to be reviewed like when an issue is reported to us directly, like you have done, as those posts do not contain the necessary details (such as date and time of issue occurrence, phone's connectivity status, and network speeds) which are needed to fully review a timeout error like what you have been seeing. We do appreciate you taking the time to provide us this information and we appreciate your patience while we work to pursue a fix.

I see iOS 14.2.1 is out for the iPhone 12. Anybody seeing this problem tried it yet to see if it mysteriously fixes things? No particular reason to think it would, but since we have no idea what the actual cause of the problem is, it's possible.
I just did the update and it has been working so far.. so we will see, however it also worked temporarily when I also reinstalled the app and re-signed in etc, so time will tell. I will check back in if i revert back to not working on cellular.

Reactions: Bet TSLA
What’s wrong with you? This is not true. I got my iPhone 12 pro Max few days ago, before that I had iPhone X. iPhone X did not connect on LTE network. Please, before you write anything do research
What's wrong with you? You come here whining and complaining and suggesting that everybody spam Tesla with their own whining and complaining. All because maybe the problem is something Tesla can fix.

Now you want to claim this has been happening on earlier iPhones. This thread is about iPhone 12 problems. A couple of people have mentioned problems with earlier iPhones, but there's no reason to believe it's the same problem. You really ought to try to figure out just what it is that you're complaining about here. I mean, if you're going to make so much noise it should at least be comprehensible.

Why don't you consider what you wrote above about the problem not being fixed: "The reason for this are people like you who just sit and wait for miracle to happen." So now that it looks like sitting and waiting may have led to a miracle (i.e. Apple fixing something that makes this problem go away), what you'll do is whine and complain some more.

Tell you what -- I take responsibility. This problem was all my fault and now I've made it go away. Will you be happy now?

What's wrong with you? You come here whining and complaining and suggesting that everybody spam Tesla with their own whining and complaining. All because maybe the problem is something Tesla can fix.

Now you want to claim this has been happening on earlier iPhones. This thread is about iPhone 12 problems. A couple of people have mentioned problems with earlier iPhones, but there's no reason to believe it's the same problem. You really ought to try to figure out just what it is that you're complaining about here. I mean, if you're going to make so much noise it should at least be comprehensible.

Why don't you consider what you wrote above about the problem not being fixed: "The reason for this are people like you who just sit and wait for miracle to happen." So now that it looks like sitting and waiting may have led to a miracle (i.e. Apple fixing something that makes this problem go away), what you'll do is whine and complain some more.

Tell you what -- I take responsibility. This problem was all my fault and now I've made it go away. Will you be happy now?
This is just conformed that you are clueless. 1)Issues with Tesla app not being able to connect to care are not new, you can find posts on this from many years ago. 2) it affected more than one model of iPhone, again just Google it. 3) Apple did not on purpose fixed the issue with 14.2.1 update. Which means that the issue will persist on other devices and that no one knows what the problem was. Also, it is quite possible that that with 14.3 update the issue will appear as well. 4) I presented you with email from Tesla who clearly told us that all of us need to call Tesla directly to COMPLAINT so the recorded cases increasing and they will take it seriously. 6) it’s important to Tesla to be aware of widespread problem.