Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It didn't take long to lose confidence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"18) Be sure you clean off all of the dirt and grease from the steering
wheel and shift knob - and remember to put the gloves (that you took
out this past friggin' week-end to do some *sugar* around the yard) back in
the trunk.

And under no circumstances should you call AAA for assistance. This is
the same as stopping to ask for directions when you're not-really lost."

This! ;)

I've swapped on a spare only once (unfortunately, no gloves). Now I call AAA.

I once wrote an article about changing the tire on my Audi....
Dan's AutoBlog: How Not to Change a Tire on an Audi

On a serious note. There's nothing worse than getting a new car and needing to have it serviced for ANY reason. I suspect the OP was filled with trepidation prior to taking delivery because of the QC issues, reports from owners about Tesla's (admittedly) lousy customer service, etc. I suspect even after delivery, he was in the mindset of "just wait for it.... it's a matter of time before something goes wrong... oh God, will this be the day I have to deal with Tesla customer service..." And to be fair, I've even seen fanboys who needed service post "oh crap, here we go... they're going to tell me it's within spec".

All it took was Tesla's response to the flat tire (which, by the way, was no different than how Mercedes, Porsche, BMW and even Lexus would have addressed it) to validate "crappy customer service - I knew this would be a mistake". Add to that he was just plain pissed off about the flat - which we can all relate to.

So I'm cutting him some slack... he catastrophized something that has happened to every car owner for over 120 years and will continue until this comes becomes the norm:

Last edited:
I never realized that getting a simple tire repaired would be this difficult..

How odd. Not my experience. Last week, I found a nail deeply embedded into the sidewall of my driver's side front tire. I hit up roadside assistance in the app to repair it. The car was already at home. Within 20 minutes, I received a text and within an hour, a repair tow truck showed up with a loaner wheel - no paperwork, and he left within 15 minutes, leaving me with a good tire. I was able to drive to work the next morning. No towing to a random tire place. The wheel was taken to the Tesla service center. The next day, I was contacted. They were unable to repair it since the nail was on the outside of the tire wall, so they charged me to replace the tire - and even gave me a 15% discount for the inconvenience. They brought the wheel back, "reunited" the wheel with me. $300 or so. I couldn't ask for more. Pretty awesome, IMHO. All done via the app and texts.

That's actually not that bad considering Tesla charges $195/hr for labor. With a door-to-door service, his day didn't skip a beat!
Fair point however I prefer an itemized billing over a blind markup.

I’ll share a positive experience with our service center. After rescheduling to secure a loaner vehicle and an expedient service time, on pickup our X proceeded to blow out one of its newly installed half shafts just as I pulled out of the parking lot. I managed to ease it back in to the service parking and after a quick inspection to verify the car had just in fact chunked a brand new part was promptly put back into a loaner.

Reactions: N1L CO2
Okay - seriously - -

Has anybody ever used Ride-On? It is not like Slime that it is intended to fix a flat, but rather Ride-On is intended to prevent flats. I have used it for years on my motorcycle tires - and it works great!

'
They stripped dimming mirrors. They’re not going to do that.
Those dimming mirrors are apparently back on the refreshed Model 3.
Mine came with the Tesla Tire repair kit. Was pleasantly surprised as I thought I was going to have to purchase one last year.
I wonder if this is a Maryland requirement. My Model 3 also came with the compressor kit when I picked it up 2 years ago.

On a serious note. There's nothing worse than getting a new car and needing to have it serviced for ANY reason. I suspect the OP was filled with trepidation prior to taking delivery because of the QC issues, reports from owners about Tesla's (admittedly) lousy customer service, etc. I suspect even after delivery, he was in the mindset of "just wait for it.... it's a matter of time before something goes wrong... oh God, will this be the day I have to deal with Tesla customer service..." And to be fair, I've even seen fanboys who needed service post "oh crap, here we go... they're going to tell me it's within spec".

All it took was Tesla's response to the flat tire (which, by the way, was no different than how Mercedes, Porsche, BMW and even Lexus would have addressed it) to validate "crappy customer service - I knew this would be a mistake". Add to that he was just plain pissed off about the flat - which we can all relate to.

So I'm cutting him some slack... he catastrophized something that has happened to every car owner for over 120 years and will continue until this comes becomes the norm:

Wish this would become the norm, but why would it. Tire manufacturer's would lose your business. Need you coming back every 20k miles.

I’d like to hear if this really was a nail or something. I would expect it was but if it wasn’t and was a defect that would be a little different towards the service center.

We have towing company’s that do patches at your house if it’s easier than towing somewhere as they come with a van. Surprised Tesla doesn’t have a deal with a company to come patch in person.