Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It looks like I have LTE enabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I donno - Verizon still supports 1XEVDO. AT&T still supports GPRS. I would expect 3G to stick around for a while.

See here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/04/2020_switch_of_for_telenor_norway_3g/. In many European markets, 2G is likely to outlast 3G due to the installed population of devices using 2G for telemetry (including the UK's collection of government-sponsored home charging points, each with built-in 2G reporting to Big Brother).

There's also the concern about investment spend: while 3G won't be switched off for some time, investment in network improvement is likely to be concentrated on 4G.

If the hardware isn't already in there, I'd be very very surprised if it wasn't available at some point soon via a card swap or something of the like. There will come a time when 3G is decommissioned and Tesla can't deliberately design an internet dependent car without designing in a mechanism to offer an upgrade path.

It's one thing to sunset your iPhone. It's quite another to sunset your car.

When 3G is shut down, just tether your car to your phone.

speedtest - Copy.GIF

I am in the United States. I ran the test 3 times and the results were pretty consistent. 5Mbps down is not too bad. Pretty funny that it is 5Mbps down and 18Mbps up. Not a very accurate test but maybe a good general idea. How does this compare to those with 3G?

View attachment 83247

I am in the United States. I ran the test 3 times and the results were pretty consistent. 5Mbps down is not too bad. Pretty funny that it is 5Mbps down and 18Mbps up. Not a very accurate test but maybe a good general idea. How does this compare to those with 3G?

3G is definitely much slower. 3G maxes out at 3-4mbps, but real world rates are around 500kbps. Best conditions in the US, maybe 2mbps.
I was wondering what kind of Model S do you have? I ordered a lowly 70D, but really hoping I have the LTE chip in it.
Speed is going to improve user experience (not huge, but noticeable), but most LTE chips also support downward compatibility, which means better coverage in general. LTE chips also need higher current, which benefits 3G radio from not loosing connection as often.
I really hope my car (entering production in a week), gets the LTE chip too.

That's *much* better than the 3G performance. That said, how good is real-world browsing? From what I've found, I think the slowness in the browser processing Javascript is more of an impediment than the actual bandwidth.

Thanks for posting this Korben! Would you be able to share when you ordered your car, when it was produced and delivered?

My speculation - this is a shadow rollout of new (Tegra) hardware ahead of the MX launch, analogous to the autopilot hardware sneaking into new cars weeks before the "D" event last year.

My speculation - this is a shadow rollout of new (Tegra) hardware ahead of the MX launch, analogous to the autopilot hardware sneaking into new cars weeks before the "D" event last year.

This^^^^

Most likely they're run out the last of their inventory on the prior control boards and are now putting then new designs into the S's. We'll likely get some sort of announcement as part of the start of delivery of the X's event. There are likely a bunch of other buried features & upgrades in there that will turn our (until now!) new generation S's into the new generation of "classic"! :)

This^^^^

Most likely they're run out the last of their inventory on the prior control boards and are now putting then new designs into the S's. We'll likely get some sort of announcement as part of the start of delivery of the X's event. There are likely a bunch of other buried features & upgrades in there that will turn our (until now!) new generation S's into the new generation of "classic"! :)

We'll see, great ideas. I'd just be happy getting LTE in a couple weeks at delivery! The Tegra 4 is pretty different chip/driver wise I imagine than 3, many more GPU cores (72 instead of 12), etc. Not sure they are already supporting new drivers for that, etc but you never know. That would probably see us get different software updates going forward if so if you have new vs old Tegra processors and LTE or 3G.

Also, remember that cellular data speed is very dependent on location and time of day (congestion).

If you can, try speed tests at different times of day and different locations.

Thanks for the report!

===============

LTE (Long Term Evolution) uses a very different physical-layer signal structure than 3G. LTE is also more efficient in use of cellular bandwidth than 3G. Running a multi-mode 3G-LTE chip set always in 3G would be like running a "D" Tesla always in 2WD. You could do it, but why? I would bet that the new cars have LTE/3G chipsets, and earlier cars have 3G only. It is very unlikely that LTE can be enabled in older cars by a software upgrade in just the same way that a RWD Tesla cannot be upgraded to an AWD "D" via software.

Last edited: