Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It looks like I have LTE enabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was in service when it received this release, here is what i think is happening. The vpn to the mothership is causing the tests to be skewed. Logic I am in the Saint Louis MO region, my test above show Los Angles server, when I connect to Wifi it shows Chicago. See below,

I read somewhere that openvpn was in use. Good odds some, all, or most, traffic goes through a server at a Tesla datacenter. It must make things fun for China. Hopefully they are not trying to pipe all traffic through California or that would pretty much guarantee a poor experience.

Threads finding new features in the model S are one of the things I enjoy most about the TMC forum. My speculation (yep opinion) is that just like the sensors appearing suddenly on all newly produced cars, LTE is now being put into new builds. I also believe that there may be a cost (in the future) to use this versus 3G. Older builds WILL require a hardware update to enable it. Older builds=?? (maybe anything built before late June 1, 2015).

So far it would seem, until we verify others get LTE, that it could be late (or last week of) May builds forward.

KORBEN - when was your production start & finish dates?

I'm in BC, where I understand I'm roaming onto the Rogers network since there is no AT&T up here! My car was delivered on May 20th and has always shown 3G. I just tested using the testof.me site, with 5 bars of 3G showing and got 6.59 Mbps down, 18.45 Mbps up. Ping of 366 to 'San Jose 2' server. I appear to still have the .236 firmware.

Options include

o The test website is highly inaccurate

Also notice the upload on wifi I have 100mb down and like 4 up so the first site I think is incorrect.

I think there is definitely something off with that testing site. I did a bunch of tests and got results all over the place. Many were in the range of .3MB download and .6MB upload. Some were 3 or 4MB down and 8 or 9MB up. And one time I actually got over 5MB down and over 18MB up. Many of these tests that gave radically differing results were with the car in the same location.

I did not try a different speed testing site.

The 3G speed seems similar, may be the lte is being throttled to 3G speed

This is almost certainly the case. Wireless carriers in the U.S. charge less $ for capped bandwidth connections.

For example, Cricket Wireless (AT&T subsidiary) and T-Mobile Simply Prepaid (lower tier option than "Simple Choice") are less expensive, but capped at 8 Megabits the last time I checked. This is a pretty good deal for people because 8 Mbps is more than good enough for general app usage. Tesla probably gets an even better deal for 5 Megabit service on the AT&T network.

You should just know by using maps app and zooming to other non-cached locations. LTE should draw the tiles much faster if working versus the laggy 3G redraw we are used to. Let us know...

Yes. LTE has much lower latency than HSPA+ (3G). Internet stuff should feel "snappier" on LTE even if the capped bandwidth is similar to cars still on HSPA+.

You should just know by using maps app and zooming to other non-cached locations. LTE should draw the tiles much faster if working versus the laggy 3G redraw we are used to. Let us know...

I don't have a lot of time spent in 3g Teslas. Let me try with my friends car. It will be quite a while before I can report back as the best test is likely side by side (hopefully using the same towers and servers/proxys) and we don't always have time to get together.

If I could get iperf installed I could tell you very quickly. Then again, if I could install iperf I would probably have access to a rooted Tesla and would know a lot more vs. my idle speculation on a forum.

I don't have a lot of time spent in 3g Teslas. Let me try with my friends car. It will be quite a while before I can report back as the best test is likely side by side (hopefully using the same towers and servers/proxys) and we don't always have time to get together.

If I could get iperf installed I could tell you very quickly. Then again, if I could install iperf I would probably have access to a rooted Tesla and would know a lot more vs. my idle speculation on a forum.

If only we had root access

WHOAA! Nice legwork there buddy.
Now I wonder if that "retrofit" applies if you buy the service plan or not.
I just wish my car (end of June delivery, enters build in a week), comes with LTE so I can skip a few bucks on service plans LOL.

WHOAA! Nice legwork there buddy.
Now I wonder if that "retrofit" applies if you buy the service plan or not.
I just wish my car (end of June delivery, enters build in a week), comes with LTE so I can skip a few bucks on service plans LOL.

Probably safe to assume your car has if but if it doesn't I don't think the retrofit would be covered by the service plan. Congrats on your new car.