Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's too late, my MCU1 Died....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread is really motivating me to pre-emptively swap out my EMMC. On one hand, I don't really want to mess with my car which is mostly working now, but on the other hand I am starting to feel like I'm driving a ticking time-bomb, it could fail me at any time, most likely at the most inconvenient time. :(

Reactions: brkaus
This thread is really motivating me to pre-emptively swap out my EMMC. On one hand, I don't really want to mess with my car which is mostly working now, but on the other hand I am starting to feel like I'm driving a ticking time-bomb, it could fail me at any time, most likely at the most inconvenient time. :(

I hear ya. $400 now or $2000 later... tough call especially when one doesn’t know if later is 1 month or 2 years.

don’t have time right now to search but I recall a post where someone claimed the sc was able to remotely check the eMCC somehow? How was this done?

I hear ya. $400 now or $2000 later... tough call especially when one doesn’t know if later is 1 month or 2 years.

don’t have time right now to search but I recall a post where someone claimed the sc was able to remotely check the eMCC somehow? How was this done?

In recent firmwares Tesla added eMMC data values to report on block write cycles and estimated life. Anyone with root or a Tesla service technician can query these new variables. From memory, my own car is a Dec 2016 car and I’ve used roughly 1/3 of the estimated lifespan of the eMMC per the reported variables.

I know my friend with toolbox access was able to remotely identify my eMMC was bad. In fact I saw with my own eyes my VIN was flagged as having a bad eMMC.

....so to put a pin in it
I got my car back from the SC with a REMAN MCU. There were NO new units available at any of the 5 local service centers. This sucks because it only carries a 12/12 warranty.
The silver lining is they let me keep my old unit w/o paying a core.
Total invoice was $2185
This leaves me with a spare essentially, so I'm cool with that. I will have my eMMC replaced out of my old unit, plus I also have a spare LCD that had no yellowing or bubbles.
Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 3.36.03 PM.png

If it was just the $400 it would be a much easier decision. A much bigger concern is getting stuck with a dead car when I need it. I think it's fair to say any out of warranty Model S with original MCU1 should not be treated as a reliable car, which can die at any time. :(

So, I ordered myself a new emmc, 64GB industrial spec, plan to clone my 8GB and TRIM the rest of the chip so the remaining 56GB will be used for wear leveling. If the swap works, it should outlast the car even if Tesla doesn't curb their logging.

If it was just the $400 it would be a much easier decision. A much bigger concern is getting stuck with a dead car when I need it. I think it's fair to say any out of warranty Model S with original MCU1 should not be treated as a reliable car, which can die at any time. :(

Where are you located? I would probably pay you to do this once my car is out of warranty

So, I ordered myself a new emmc, 64GB industrial spec, plan to clone my 8GB and TRIM the rest of the chip so the remaining 56GB will be used for wear leveling. If the swap works, it should outlast the car even if Tesla doesn't curb their logging.

This seems like a useful piece of information to consider:
Car is not charging because scheduled charging was set up before MCU failed.
Normally I have scheduled charging enabled for 2:00 AM. Given this information, I am going to keep it disabled until I actually need to plug in and charge.

You're only a 5 hour drive south. Sign me up. :D

Just to keep the record straight, if Tesla replaces the MCU, it is covered for four years. It’s in writing in the parts warranty that Tesla publishes. Explicitly stated is that it is a one year warranty for replacement parts except for certain parts. One of the parts excepted is the MCU touchscreen. It clearly states that that part is covered for four years.

I don’t understand why all the service technicians at Tesla are stating it’s only one year.

Just to keep the record straight, if Tesla replaces the MCU, it is covered for four years. It’s in writing in the parts warranty that Tesla publishes. Explicitly stated is that it is a one year warranty for replacement parts except for certain parts. One of the parts excepted is the MCU touchscreen. It clearly states that that part is covered for four years.

I don’t understand why all the service technicians at Tesla are stating it’s only one year.
During the early days of UV fix Tesla had replaced my MCU due to yellow border (Sept 2018). Do I get 4 more years from date onwards? I am over my factory warranty currently.

This is excellent info. Do you have a link to reference this so I can keep it in my notes upon secondary failure of my mcu.
thanks!

Edit: never mind! I found it.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...sories-body-repair-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

This is excellent info. Do you have a link to reference this so I can keep it in my notes upon secondary failure of my mcu.
thanks!

Edit: never mind! I found it.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...sories-body-repair-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf
I'd read this... Any Parts repaired or replaced under the Tesla New Vehicle Limited Warranty, Tesla Used Vehicle Limited Warranty, or an active Tesla Service Plan is covered for the duration of that applicable warranty or plan, and does not extend beyond that duration.

Are you doing all of the work yourself or is there a local third party mechanic that can help with this? I'll be following this closely since I may need to do the same thing in about a year. I don't plan on getting the extended warranty at this point.

From memory, my own car is a Dec 2016 car and I’ve used roughly 1/3 of the estimated lifespan of the eMMC per the reported variables.
Do you know if this is more a function of time or mileage? Put another way, does the car log substantially more when driving vs. just sitting there? I’d assume yes, but don’t really know...

Are you doing all of the work yourself or is there a local third party mechanic that can help with this? I'll be following this closely since I may need to do the same thing in about a year. I don't plan on getting the extended warranty at this point.
Plan to do it myself, probably in the next month or so. Don't like the feeling of knowing that one of times I'll get into the car it just won't start. The car is 4.5 years old, and already running slow (though this could be just v10 in action), so it could fail any time now, and once it fails the EMMC cloning is likely to get much harder (depending on how much of it becomes unreadable). Also thinking of enhancing the Tegra cooler with a peltier module, but that might not happen (not sure how much space there is inside).

Last edited:
It started with garbled words about a week ago. I did a typical reboot. This time though every time the MCU got to the point where it needed to draw the map tiles, boom, black screen and reboot.
This cycled for about 5 days. I contacted a mobile tech I happen to know, he pulled logs and confirmed the eMMC was failed/failing.
2 days ago I decided to do a deep boot with foot on the pedal. That was the final straw. The MCU would never light up again.
No more charging at either of my HPWC's. No more A/C. and worst of all. 7/10 times the car wont start without a 10 min message "please wait while systems power up"

Good times Elon.

Now Im stuck with paying tesla whatever they charge, I hear $1800-3800 for a refurbished POS, or, I am opting for a junk yard unit and my mobile service guy coming over to get the "new" one up and running on his time.

Planning to send my old one out to @wk057 to have it fixed, so I have a spare when my wife's 2016 MX comes up on 4 yrs and her MCU croaks too.

I am a HUGE believer in the car/the mission and all, but this one really leaves a bitter taste in my mouth knowing it is fully avoidable, plus the constant teasing by elon that MCU2 will be available to us MCU 1 owners, just adds salt to the wounds. Service has NO clue that they will ever offer such a thing (at this point)

/rant over

my screen has bubbles now....do they have to change the MCU when 17 inch screen is replaced?
gawd i hope so!!!
both my displays have bubbles
drivetrain is so noisy--- like a fast n furious Honda Civic exhaist--- ya, it's embarrassing!!!!
now my battery died!!!! 5 year old car & it seems like everything is going at once!