Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's too late, my MCU1 Died....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They could look up the owners manual online like anyone else.
This is also true about NHTSA Campaign number 18V817000 but that doesn't stop the NHTSA from flagging the safety issue of a car's inability to provide that information itself.

It looks like you are right in pointing out that they will even issue recalls over as few as 15 individual cars that lack defogging controls. Tesla has had more than 15 cars without this ability already!

Reactions: GSP
@TonyT Thanks for the info. My friend with toolbox made an attempt to clone my mcu and was unable, but he was ready generate new keys and a new profile on whatever tegra board ended up working. So I believe as far as software was concerned I would be ok because he has access to "official" methods of copying the data.
Im interested in your offer to help though! Are you able to board level repair the tegra board here in LA? I have a neighbor with 2 cars as well. We are both in the same boat.

You didn't mention your friend with toobox access. That offers a completely different recovery most people cant have. :)

Yes we can do everything locally, and can have the mcu given to us to work with it, or the whole car and we can take care of the whole process. Please send your neighbors/friends our way.

I wonder why no one broke the window to get the fellow out? Door handles fail all the time on many makes of cars after crashes, that is why fire departments have the jaws of life. If a regular car crashed with the doors locked and the driver was unconscious, I think bystanders wouldn’t be able to get in either.

Just off the top of my head the Cadillac ELR, Chevrolet Corvette, Land Rover Velar, and Jaguar I-Pace all have similar electronically-actuated exterior door handles.

The correct rescue action in these cases is to break the glass and use the manual release inside the car.

@TonyT Thanks for the info. My friend with toolbox made an attempt to clone my mcu and was unable, but he was ready generate new keys and a new profile on whatever tegra board ended up working. So I believe as far as software was concerned I would be ok because he has access to "official" methods of copying the data.
Im interested in your offer to help though! Are you able to board level repair the tegra board here in LA? I have a neighbor with 2 cars as well. We are both in the same boat.

Even with toolbox, there is not a way that I am aware of to generate a new VPN/websocket certificates ("carkeys"). Not even Service Centers can directly; doing so requires engineering support from Fremont last I checked. You should also backup your MCU commands key, though this *can* be fixed remotely if your car has valid carkeys/mothership certs.

With diagnostic ethernet unlocked (which you should be able to do with Toolbox/are doing if you can talk to the gateway), try to connect to cid-updater on the MCU directly and see if you can. Often times the MCU is running in a degraded state and the screen won't light up, but you're still able to connect to it behind the scenes to, for example, load a new firmware version and get back up and running again.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: .jg. and widodh
The second is to address an INTERMITTENT failure that causes the feature to occasionally malfunction with no warning, creating an emergent and ongoing safety issue.

One of the symptoms of a failing MCU is lots of intermittent restarts while you are driving. Then it finally just doesn’t come back on one day.

GM recalling 59,000 2010 Chevy Equinox, GMC Terrain CUVs over faulty defrosters

“According to NHTSA, an unspecified fault in the system's software programming can render the heating, air conditioning, defroster, radio control, and panel backlighting to be rendered inoperative. Without proper defrosting and defogging capabilities, visibility can be diminished, increasing the possibility of a crash.”

Hate to piss in your Cheerios, but I think if the NHTSA got involved Tesla would probably have to issue a recall. They do consider lack of defrost to be a safety hazard and this failure is caused by a software design issue vs wear and tear.

I think Tesla should replace them under a hidden warranty program since it was a design flaw that caused the issue (which their CEO admitted). But we all know Tesla’s customer service stinks, so that isn’t going to happen.

One of the symptoms of a failing MCU is lots of intermittent restarts while you are driving. Then it finally just doesn’t come back on one day.

“According to NHTSA, an unspecified fault in the system's software programming can render the heating, air conditioning, defroster, radio control, and panel backlighting to be rendered inoperative. Without proper defrosting and defogging capabilities, visibility can be diminished, increasing the possibility of a crash.”

Hate to piss in your Cheerios, but I think if the NHTSA got involved Tesla would probably have to issue a recall. They do consider lack of defrost to be a safety hazard and this failure is caused by a software design issue vs wear and tear.

I think Tesla should replace them under a hidden warranty program since it was a design flaw that caused the issue (which their CEO admitted). But we all know Tesla’s customer service stinks, so that isn’t going to happen.

I’ll put a dollar on a software update that adds a front/rear defog control on the main IP via scroll wheels to circumvent NHTSA.

They need a $500 daughter card replacement service ASAP before this bites them in the butt.

^^^This (as in @Az_Rael ’s response)
That’s why I keep saying to stop the debate on whether this will/will not reach NHTSA Safety Recall status. Whether Tesla does a voluntary recall, hidden warranty campaign, TSB, or whatever else people want to suggest/call it, the MCU/screen is the most recognizable part of a Tesla and it controls a majority of functions, whether actual safety or not, so this has to be addressed. Having a fleet of customers with ~5yr old cars with a gaping black hole front and center doesn’t sit well from a PR perspective hence why I’m hoping a plan is in the works to truly remedy on top of the reduction of the actual logging of data. My guess is eMMC swap vs full MCU replacement/upgrade, but we shall see.

Keep fighting the good fight. If this becomes a NHTSA mandatory safety recall I'll eat my hat.

Even with toolbox, there is not a way that I am aware of to generate a new VPN/websocket certificates ("carkeys"). Not even Service Centers can directly; doing so requires engineering support from Fremont last I checked. You should also backup your MCU commands key, though this *can* be fixed remotely if your car has valid carkeys/mothership certs.

With diagnostic ethernet unlocked (which you should be able to do with Toolbox/are doing if you can talk to the gateway), try to connect to cid-updater on the MCU directly and see if you can. Often times the MCU is running in a degraded state and the screen won't light up, but you're still able to connect to it behind the scenes to, for example, load a new firmware version and get back up and running again.
From what I saw as I watched him he could not so much as turn on the MCU in toolbox, when he went to "clone" it, it would not get past 8/10.
He said generating keys was not an issue. He sent a request and moments later received an email with keys. I even asked if that was a human, he said no, it's a server that responds when requested.

From what I saw as I watched him he could not so much as turn on the MCU in toolbox, when he went to "clone" it, it would not get past 8/10.
He said generating keys was not an issue. He sent a request and moments later received an email with keys. I even asked if that was a human, he said no, it's a server that responds when requested.

Did your screen have the goo leaking out of it? My screen was leaking goo and for the extra money and the 4 year/unlimited mileage warranty, I figured it was good peace of mind to replace the entire MCU for $2100 vs $1400 just for the screen.

Check out our thread. I'm in LA/OC area and can help.

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

Terga board can not be just swapped without modification. There are specific files on your terga that needs to be copied into the new one in order for the MCU to be able to work with your car. Repair may still be possible.
That’s why I keep saying to stop the debate on whether this will/will not reach NHTSA Safety Recall status. Whether Tesla does a voluntary recall, hidden warranty campaign, TSB, or whatever else people want to suggest/call it, the MCU/screen is the most recognizable part of a Tesla and it controls a majority of functions, whether actual safety or not, so this has to be addressed. Having a fleet of customers with ~5yr old cars with a gaping black hole front and center doesn’t sit well from a PR perspective hence why I’m hoping a plan is in the works to truly remedy on top of the reduction of the actual logging of data. My guess is eMMC swap vs full MCU replacement/upgrade, but we shall see.

Doubt it. Look around at the other issues (Yellow border, batterygate, class action suit on forced reduction in range). None of these are changing behavior based on negative PR. Tesla is laser focused on becoming profitable and extending their technological edge. Their approach to fixing stuff is to bandaid or deny unless it is deemed imperative to fix, or can be done easily and at low cost.

I wish they would find a way to achieve profitability with less pain inflicted on their customer base.

Still love my car. Dreading end of lease approaching. Not sure what I’m going to do.

Argh

Did your screen have the goo leaking out of it? My screen was leaking goo and for the extra money and the 4 year/unlimited mileage warranty, I figured it was good peace of mind to replace the entire MCU for $2100 vs $1400 just for the screen.
No goo. No Yellow bands, but I am tempted to pay to keep my "core" for spare parts down the road, since I am now fully capable in swapping out parts such as the screen, LTE, and tegra daughterboard as a result of last nights failed attempts to get a working MCU out of the parts I had.

I was advised this AM that my MCU will also be replaced. I assume it is the memory issue, based upon symptoms and what i have read, but the SC has not actually said that. My car is a 2015 70D with about 45-46,000 miles on it. It is just 3 weeks past the end of the 4-year warranty period (but I expect the repair to be covered by the ESA).

Correction -- SC told me today it is not a computer failure. They blame the software loading error on my USB card, and claim all is good now that the USB is out. The USB has been in the car for 3 years or so, and no previous software updates have failed, so I am suspicious of the conclusion, but I suppose they are correct.

Quick note: even with working/repaired MCU daughterboards, an MCU may not enable the screen when booted up on the bench without being connected to a car. (or some other trickery to power on the LCD). So the MCU can appear dead when it in fact may not be.
This is what sort of happened with the MCU I got from a dismantler. He said it worked in the car, but on his bench it was dead. He pulled a 2nd one out and same result. I said ship it anyway. We installed it in my car and it was DEAD! My friend with toolbox could not turn it on, and could not get it to work at all, so I think in my case I just have *sugar* luck and managed to get to dead eMMC's.

This is what sort of happened with the MCU I got from a dismantler. He said it worked in the car, but on his bench it was dead. He pulled a 2nd one out and same result. I said ship it anyway. We installed it in my car and it was DEAD! My friend with toolbox could not turn it on, and could not get it to work at all, so I think in my case I just have *sugar* luck and managed to get to dead eMMC's.
Yeah, that sucks. :(

That's why I qualified as "working/repaired", because it can appear dead... or it could really BE dead. This bit me when I had to get my eMMC chip re-soldered for the second time... I was trying to test and couldn't tell if the re-flow was successful or not without it being in the car...

Can't think of a single ADAS feature dependent on the MCU and whose sudden lack of availability would present an unacceptable safety risk.
I had MCU1 reboot itself (not initiated by me) on me while AP was engaged once (I don't use AP much). While the the MCU generated a number of "AP engaged" and "AP disengaged" dings during the reboot, the AP actually never disengaged - it continued to steer and drive. I'm just providing this as a data point, not arguing whether it is safe or not.

• Informative
Reactions: Eugene Ash
Having a fleet of customers with ~5yr old cars with a gaping black hole front and center doesn’t sit well from a PR perspective
Yea, but those cars will be only be seen for a day or two until they run out of charge, then they'll be sitting in garages awaiting a service appointment where nobody will see them.

• Funny
Reactions: aerodyne