Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's too late, my MCU1 Died....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It started with garbled words about a week ago. I did a typical reboot. This time though every time the MCU got to the point where it needed to draw the map tiles, boom, black screen and reboot.
This cycled for about 5 days. I contacted a mobile tech I happen to know, he pulled logs and confirmed the eMMC was failed/failing.
2 days ago I decided to do a deep boot with foot on the pedal. That was the final straw. The MCU would never light up again.
No more charging at either of my HPWC's. No more A/C. and worst of all. 7/10 times the car wont start without a 10 min message "please wait while systems power up"

Good times Elon.

Now Im stuck with paying tesla whatever they charge, I hear $1800-3800 for a refurbished POS, or, I am opting for a junk yard unit and my mobile service guy coming over to get the "new" one up and running on his time.

Planning to send my old one out to @wk057 to have it fixed, so I have a spare when my wife's 2016 MX comes up on 4 yrs and her MCU croaks too.

I am a HUGE believer in the car/the mission and all, but this one really leaves a bitter taste in my mouth knowing it is fully avoidable, plus the constant teasing by elon that MCU2 will be available to us MCU 1 owners, just adds salt to the wounds. Service has NO clue that they will ever offer such a thing (at this point)

/rant over

I'm in the exact same boat. I have a service appointment on Tuesday. I'm expecting the downgrade from V8 to V10 and hoping that I'm not hit by batterygate and/or chargegate. I'm fortunately within warranty by just a few weeks.

The warning on startup will go away a lot faster if you keep pressing the brake every 5 seconds or so. No AC, no sunroof, but the windows still work.

Good luck to you!

I'm in the exact same boat. I have a service appointment on Tuesday. I'm expecting the downgrade from V8 to V10 and hoping that I'm not hit by batterygate and/or chargegate. I'm fortunately within warranty by just a few weeks.

The warning on startup will go away a lot faster if you keep pressing the brake every 5 seconds or so. No AC, no sunroof, but the windows still work.

Good luck to you!
Wow, thank for that tip going to go try it now. I thought I was going to have to Uber around until it was fixed.
(this worked!! thanks!)

The car is a April/2015 production 85D. about 70k on the clock.
Yes I keep updates going. Had not yet installed V10.

Ugh, I got a car which will very likely experience this soon. :( Is this another one of Elon's genius revenue generation ideas - build a car where everything depends on one very expensive part which dies shortly after warranty? Or does it simply show how naive and inexperienced Elon is when it comes to building cars, to design such an expensive single point of failure into a car?

Or does it simply show that Elon may not have been involved in the hand selection and durability testing of every part. That’s what he has automotive engineers on staff for. Does anyone believe that he designed this car, picked all the parts and did all the life cycle testing in a room by himself?

Look, I’m waiting nearly a year to have my yellowing screen replaced, so I’m not an apologist for Musk. But to blame him for a conscious effort to design a car where certain parts fail for the sole purpose of revenue generation, is, IMO, a bit over the top.

Oh no! I remember how excited you were when you bought your 85D.
My MCU1 has already failed and been replaced under warranty.
I plan to keep mine until the Roadster comes out, even though I drool at the new models every day..

Please keep us updated on the process. I live an hour away from @wk057, and might use his services.

Or does it simply show that Elon may not have been involved in the hand selection and durability testing of every part. That’s what he has automotive engineers on staff for. Does anyone believe that he designed this car, picked all the parts and did all the life cycle testing in a room by himself?

Look, I’m waiting nearly a year to have my yellowing screen replaced, so I’m not an apologist for Musk. But to blame him for a conscious effort to design a car where certain parts fail for the sole purpose of revenue generation, is, IMO, a bit over the top.
Actually what's sad is that Elon hasn't really responded to this inevitable issue for literally every S and X (not sure about the 3), other than that they are working on an improvement for newer models. I can only imagine this getting worse with FSD fully implemented, what with all of the logs it will be writing.

This is a management decision, not a durability issue. Hackers fixed this problem years ago by changing logging to a "tmpfs" ram drive so it doesn't constantly write to the actual chip. Tesla knows about this by now - and if they don't it means they aren't paying attention to their own cars.

• Informative
Reactions: .jg. and P100D_Me

Well we know Musk was involved in selecting parts for the MCU since he was quoted discussing it. So there’s that.

Tesla's Screen Saga Shows Why Automotive Grade Matters

How long have you seen the "garbled words" issue? Just wondering if there is some correlation between how long that has been going on for and how soon the eMMC fails completely.
I've had garbled words for more than a year & probably 20k miles now!!!
I thought it was crappy feature of V8
My screen lost most of the goo a while ago too, hoping it's done with that :rolleyes:

Not blaming him, but he knows about it and has yet to step up and get is resolved for all parties involved. That is his responsibility as CEO.

I was advised this AM that my MCU will also be replaced. I assume it is the memory issue, based upon symptoms and what i have read, but the SC has not actually said that. My car is a 2015 70D with about 45-46,000 miles on it. It is just 3 weeks past the end of the 4-year warranty period (but I expect the repair to be covered by the ESA).

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911 and GSP