Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jack up the fees please!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about prohibiting SuperCharging at chargers within 50 miles of "home?"
Don't prohibit it, just don't offer it for free. That way if you really needed to charge locally, you could. You'd just have to pay for it. I have FUSC on my Tesla but would support such a policy as I would rarely, if ever, need to charge close to home. If I'm returning home from a trip and happen to need a charge, then I wouldn't mind paying to make it the last few miles.

I bet even a limit of 25 miles would greatly decrease the number of locals using the "long distance" supercharging network.

A button on the display that changes the tone of the texts to all users currently at that supercharger with > a certain percentage charge:

"A fellow Tesla driver would like to use one of the Supercharger stalls where your car is currently located. Currently your vehicle has charged to 80% capacity. Please be courteous, and avoid fees, by moving your vehicle out of the charging space as soon as possible."

"A fellow Tesla driver has been waiting X minutes for an available stall where your vehicle is currently located..."

"Hey buddy! That fellow Tesla driver is now pretty pissed off and waiting next to your car to give you a lecture about Supercharger etiquette."

I like the idea of being able to send a message as it might encourage someone to move their car a little sooner.

At work, we have 36 Level 2 chargers. There's a web page where users can log in and indicate how much of a charge they need and how long they'll be there. From the webpage and the displays at the chargers you can easily tell who is still charging but you can't tell when they will be moving their car. We also have a distribution list so whenever someone needs a spot, they send an email and usually several people offer to quickly move their car.

Last edited:
I see you cant read. I said i have only seen a max total of 6 vehicles in our 10 stall charger in Fresno CA. Still if it had 3 waiting I would still charge there. Don't care what any of you say, I have never signed anything preventing me from charging at the local SC. If you don't want to wait at a SC, buy an ICE vehicle.

I never signed anything that said that I wouldn't fart in a crowded elevator, but that doesn't make me less of an a$$hole if I do.

This happened to me at the redondo SC. Same scenario. I was traveling and most people you could tell were locals. But the good part was most of them stayed with their vehicles so it definitely made it less annoying. I just got a quick charge to make it to Barstow and I was on my way.

I never signed anything that said that I wouldn't fart in a crowded elevator, but that doesn't make me less of an a$$hole if I do.

But what if it saves you a nickel everytime you fart in crowded elevator? I am sure then it gets attractive for some.

If you don't want to wait at a SC, buy an ICE vehicle.

If you don't want to smell my fart, use the stairs.

I see you cant read. I said i have only seen a max total of 6 vehicles in our 10 stall charger in Fresno CA. Still if it had 3 waiting I would still charge there. Don't care what any of you say, I have never signed anything preventing me from charging at the local SC. If you don't want to wait at a SC, buy an ICE vehicle.

The above illustrates the exception to the general rule that most Tesla buyers value their time highly and so wouldn't waste their time charging locally at an SC to save a few pennies instead of charging at home overnight.
But I suspect there are not many examples of this sort of confused thinking or people whose time is cheap.

There will be many thoughts on supercharging near your home, I do not drive to a local supercharger just to charge. If I go shopping or meet some friends for lunch and on the way home I need some juice and a supercharger is on my way I will plug in and go shopping there. I would never leave my car for very long and would not do it if cars are waiting, however to me having superchargers available are part of the reason I purchased a Tesla. When I purchased the Tesla's no one said you cannot use superchargers within X amount of miles from your home.

There will be many thoughts on supercharging near your home, I do not drive to a local supercharger just to charge. If I go shopping or meet some friends for lunch and on the way home I need some juice and a supercharger is on my way I will plug in and go shopping there. I would never leave my car for very long and would not do it if cars are waiting, however to me having superchargers available are part of the reason I purchased a Tesla. When I purchased the Tesla's no one said you cannot use superchargers within X amount of miles from your home.
Do you need the juice for the rest of the day's driving? Are you just charging as long as you need to? Would you stay with car during charge in a bank of 10 if there were only 2 open? Then you get a courteous charger badge, thanks!

But he said he's never seen the SC more than 60% full. If no one is unable to charge because a local is charging (if there's always open slots), where's the "abuse"? Sounds a bit like sour grapes from people who don't have SC nearby.

Am I a bad person if I plug in at the local SC while grocery shopping, even if there's never fewer than 6 (of 8) slots free? If so, why (remember, never less than 6 slots free)?

I don't care how "full" he claims to have seen his local SC, what he's doing is still wrong and he should stop doing it. Stalls can turn over quickly and not a single traveler should have to wait not one moment for a local who is abusing the system. Yes, what he's doing is straight abuse.

Jeff

Reactions: Galve2000
Oh, I also have a Nissan Leaf that came with 2 years free charging. I charge it 2 miles from my house. Once the 2 years are up i will charge at home. It's a 2 stall CHADEMO, although i have never seen 2 cars there ever. So now you can talk more S**T. Now I'm thinking of buying another CPO Tesla just to charge locally more, now that I know it bugs you. By the way, this December I had to wait at Rancho Cucamunga SC. It had lots of stalls but they were all filled. I think the owners were in the nearby theater or shopping at the mall. Nope didn't whine or cry, just waited 5 to 10 and charged

You really are the poster child of EV charging abuse, aren't you? Do you honestly not see how your abuse is going to impact others whether directly or indirectly? Or are you just that pompous and self centered that you really don't care? I would laugh so hard if Tesla revoked your SC privileges all together. I don't know of them doing that to anyone yet, but I suspect that day is coming.

People like you are an embarrassment to the rest of the community. I get it, you don't care so long as you get yours. Funny how life has a way of catching up to people like you...

Jeff

You really are the poster child of EV charging abuse, aren't you? Do you honestly not see how your abuse is going to impact others whether directly or indirectly? Or are you just that pompous and self centered that you really don't care?

troll
trōl/
noun
plural noun: trolls
  1. a person who makes a deliberately offensive or provocative online post.
    • informal
      a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting.
  2. a line or bait used in trolling for fish.
verb
3rd person present: trolls
  1. informal
    make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.
    "if people are obviously trolling then I'll delete your posts and do my best to ban you"
  2. fish by trailing a baited line along behind a boat.
    "we trolled for mackerel"
    • carefully and systematically search an area for something.
      "a group of companies trolling for partnership opportunities"

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark and tga

It's not a matter of people using local SCs if they actually need them, like your example. It's the "others" who use local SC to supplement/replace charging at home because it's "free"... Those are the true asshats of the system.

Jeff

It's not a matter of people using local SCs if they actually need them, like your example. It's the "others" who use local SC to supplement/replace charging at home because it's "free"... Those are the true asshats of the system.

Jeff
Yes, I agree and only using the supercharger to charge all the time is not the intent of the system. If there are people waiting and you live close, go home and charge.

Because jchag was saving 92c while you were waiting.
Funny, you complain about me but I have never stayed beyond my charging time. If you don't want people using free charging eliminate free charging! Oh, and I save approximately $6 every charge based on my PG&E utility charges. It's funny how you "privliged Tesla owners think you should get free charging because you are traveling. Make everyone pay for every KW. No problems then.

All plugged in as far as I could see. Problem is that most (if not all) of them were locals out for Sunday afternoon at the mall, and because they have a Tesla and because there are super chargers there, they plugged in. Not because they need a charge. While there I saw 5 spots change hands. Every departure was people with full shopping bags. Every arrival was people who immediately lit out for the mall... some of them with empty reusable cloth bags.

Very crappy idea to put super chargers at malls.
I noticed the same thing at Victoria gardens mall in Rancho Cucamonga. At least there they had signs indicating to park a maximum of 30 minutes.

Funny, you complain about me but I have never stayed beyond my charging time. If you don't want people using free charging eliminate free charging! Oh, and I save approximately $6 every charge based on my PG&E utility charges. It's funny how you "privliged Tesla owners think you should get free charging because you are traveling. Make everyone pay for every KW. No problems then.

So you admit you're intentionally abusing the system to avoid paying to charge at home... Nice...

Privileged Tesla owners? Did you miss the part, assuming you can read, where supercharging is for LONG DISTANCE TRAVEL? Or perhaps you need one of those text to speech things to help you with your reading comprehension?

The purpose of the supercharging network is to enable long distance travel. It's not now, nor has it ever been, for cheap locals like yourself to be a parasite on the system.

I don't know what's worse, your over the top entitlement or having the audacity to call the rest of us "privileged" because we can read and comprehend what we're reading...

Jeff