Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jack up the fees please!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By hybrids, do you mean the plug-in hybrids ?

If so, I'm sorry to hear that they are wearing out their welcome since L2 charging at work is tailor made for them.
Yes, plugins.

With a short 15 to 20 mile ranges in them - and some of them like the Chrysler Minivan & BMW eDrive runs on gas all the time with a slight assist from electric motor - they all complete the charge in about two hours and then SIT there occupying the spot for the whole day, when the Leafs and I3s cannot get a slot to charge and some of those owners cannot get home. So they - leaf and i3 owners - end up plugging late in the day after 5 pm after the ICE plugin squatters have left for the day and wait there for two hours charging and get home late in the night. Not happens every day, it all depends on if you can get to office before 8 am.

The utilization of the limited no. of charging stations should be maximized - that should be the goal.

Every minute a charging station sits not-utilized when there are cars needing the charge, is a travesty. So if gas engine is the main propulsion, then just get out of squatting the charging spots. No EV charge station spot for you.

---------------------------------------------

My biggest worry is, even after instituting idle fees, these ICE plugins, would simply walk over, unplug, but still have their cars sitting there occupying the parking spot, thereby denying the opportunity for others to park and charge.

So I am proposing, 'Kick the ICE plugins out'. This is gathering steam.

I am also proposing, 'Kick the Teslas out' for a different reason.

Honestly, I am no sure. Go ahead, tell us.

I notice a lot of entitlement behavior across the board but I'd hazard a guess that it is most prevalent in the Tesla and PHEV owners.

Entitlement or selfishness or laziness does not discriminate....the abusers are now the screamers and own a variety of EV models, but they all share a lack of consideration for anyone but themselves.

I wonder how you guys boil eggs.
Next time I gas up a car, I plan to leave the car there for 5 minutes.
Do people just not understand how analogies work anymore? We're discussing how reasonable it is to be able to time your return down to a 5 minute window. You two are equating it with filling a car (5-7 minutes) or boiling an egg (2-3 minutes). That is apples to oranges and irrelevant. On the filling station thing, you're talking about leaving the car there for 100% longer than it takes to do the thing. In both of those instances, some single digit number of minutes is just too short to be able to go do anything else. You do need to stay there watching it until it's done, so there just isn't any reason for it to stay longer.

Charging the car can take 45-50 minutes sometimes, so it is expected that people should be going down the street to do something else. Timing the return from a 50 minute process down to a 5 minute window can be tight. Feel free to try another analogy, but it does need to be something remotely similar.

*Edit* Ha ha. I never even said whether I agreed or disagreed with the topic, but just pointed out how the analogies were crappy failures of logic, and someone disagreed with it. Carry on.

Last edited:
I just found out how you can tell who disagrees with you, it's in the Alert Bell icon in the upper right. Does seem odd that you cannot just click on the ratings to see who supports you.

-Randy
Both work. Are you using the site on a mobile device like a phone or tablet? I think the UI is simplified. In a full browser, right next to the ratings is a link that says "List", and it will pop open a mini-window showing exactly who did each rating. So yes, I know, but it wasn't important to mention who.

Next time I gas up a car, I plan to leave the car there for 5 minutes. In fact, some believe I can leave a car occupying a fueling station far longer. Sound like a good idea? :eek::confused::mad:;)

When I had a gas car. I specifically hated getting gas at cumberland farms. It's a gas station with a full supermarket and I mean a full supermarket! A fish market, produce, butcher, the whole nine yards. There were so many... unintelligent people.... that would gas up their cars, leave them at the pump and go grocery shopping for the week. It created chaos. They did have signs that politely asked people to move their cars, but most people didn't care.

I understand why Tesla has idle fees, and I've never been charged an idle fee. I came close once when my phone was on silent while on a road trip eating at a restaurant with the slowest service I've ever experienced.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Maybe it would be a good idea for tesla to make the tesla app be able to communicate with other tesla owner.

That’s a great idea. Ability to send a group text to everyone currently charging to let them know you are waiting and for them to let you know when they are heading to the car to unplug. That way, you could do something else while waiting. And, they might not realize someone is waiting and needs to charge.

Yes, plugins.

With a short 15 to 20 mile ranges in them - and some of them like the Chrysler Minivan & BMW eDrive runs on gas all the time with a slight assist from electric motor - they all complete the charge in about two hours and then SIT there occupying the spot for the whole day, when the Leafs and I3s cannot get a slot to charge and some of those owners cannot get home. So they - leaf and i3 owners - end up plugging late in the day after 5 pm after the ICE plugin squatters have left for the day and wait there for two hours charging and get home late in the night. Not happens every day, it all depends on if you can get to office before 8 am.

The utilization of the limited no. of charging stations should be maximized - that should be the goal.

Every minute a charging station sits not-utilized when there are cars needing the charge, is a travesty. So if gas engine is the main propulsion, then just get out of squatting the charging spots. No EV charge station spot for you.

---------------------------------------------

My biggest worry is, even after instituting idle fees, these ICE plugins, would simply walk over, unplug, but still have their cars sitting there occupying the parking spot, thereby denying the opportunity for others to park and charge.

So I am proposing, 'Kick the ICE plugins out'. This is gathering steam.

I am also proposing, 'Kick the Teslas out' for a different reason.

How about this:

Half the people who want to charge get a plaque for AM, the other half get PM. Everyone switches at noon They don't move they get ticketed or towed. A private tow company would gladly give a kick back to the company when they tow a car. To even sweeten the deal, The people with limited range BEVs get choice of AM or PM. Some may prefer getting to work a little early in conjunction with their AM pass for the extra charge or some may prefer to stay a little later and get their extra charging with their PM pass.

It works at my company.

Now on to the policing of what other people chose to buy. That's a dicey thing. IMHO work place charging is a perk like free coffee. If someone bought a car that can't make a return trip home if the charger at work is taken is problematic. What if the chargers are down for whatever reason for an extended amount of time. If charging at work is critical to daily commute then that purchase of that car should be looked at just as critically as the critical view on ICE Plugins and Teslas.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911