Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jack up the fees please!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree.

There is a lot of appeal in the idea of free juice for life, and that's what attracted many people to Tesla. I can't tell you how many people I've spoken to who are amazed that the fuel is 'free'. I still think Tesla should have tried hard to keep this feature somehow, as it's so paradigm-shifting and differentiating. Psychology is a funny thing, and I still get a kick out of getting $2 worth of electricity for free in my $144K car at the local shopping centre's destination charger ($AUD).

It's a very civilized life to be able to refill ones car while doing the weekly shopping, and in a perfect world every parking spot would have charging facilities and there'd be no congestion issues (other than the usual lack of parking of any kind :)

Also, don't forget that it has made financial sense for Tesla to offer 'free' charging, because the up-front price meant they were able to raise capital quickly (about $2000, either as an option or including in car price) and only pay it back over many many years in the form of electricity.

The problem of congestion could be solved by people moving their cars when done charging (which @DHG. was happy to do), or by many other solutions (eg. mass HPWCs, more SCs, other nearby SCs so travelers had an alternative etc).

I agree, when i bought my Tesla the web page calculated cost - federal and state rebate - fuel savings. I live within 16 miles of a SC and use it all the time for local charging. I'm lucky I have never seen out SC over 60% full. If Tesla doesn't want me to use the local SC they can buy off my unlimited charging. I would trade my unlimited charging for a battery upgrade from 60 to 75KW

I agree, when i bought my Tesla the web page calculated cost - federal and state rebate - fuel savings. I live within 16 miles of a SC and use it all the time for local charging. I'm lucky I have never seen out SC over 60% full. If Tesla doesn't want me to use the local SC they can buy off my unlimited charging. I would trade my unlimited charging for a battery upgrade from 60 to 75KW

That's ridiculous and you're a prime example of just the sort of behavior that needs to change. You should NOT be using your local SC to supplement, or replace, home charging. You're abusing the system and you should stop doing it.

If anyone wants to know why we now even have these fees, look no further than this persons post.

Tesla doesn't have to buy you off, just force you to use the network as it was intended. If you don't like it, then go buy something else. The nerve of some people...

Jeff

I agree, when i bought my Tesla the web page calculated cost - federal and state rebate - fuel savings. I live within 16 miles of a SC and use it all the time for local charging.
No, the projected fuel savings was based on the difference between the cost of gasoline and the typical cost of electricity charging at home. It was most certainly not based on getting free electricity from supercharging.

Oh, and all local plates
Really? How do you identify a "local plate?" What's different between an Oxnard plate and a San Francisco plate?

About 1/3 of those responding say it is their right to charge at the mall even if they don't need it, after all they paid for it.
Obviously not if their opportunity charging inconveniences others, but if there's plenty of open slots, why do you care?

I agree with other posters that I would like to see Tesla charging for electricity for Everyone within 50 to 100 miles of your home. We have the technology, we can do it!!

Why? I have charged here before on a road trip. Just because it's within 100 miles doesn't mean I don't need to stop here while returning from a trip.
I drove from my parents (200 mi CT->NH), charging once on the way. I got home mid day, and needed to head down to Boston that evening (120mi). Guess what? I charged at my local SC, because I couldn't have made the trip otherwise. If I had already upgraded my electrical service to 200A and installed my HPWC @ 100A, I probably could have skipped the local stop.

That's ridiculous and you're a prime example of just the sort of behavior that needs to change. You should NOT be using your local SC to supplement, or replace, home charging. You're abusing the system and you should stop doing it.
But he said he's never seen the SC more than 60% full. If no one is unable to charge because a local is charging (if there's always open slots), where's the "abuse"? Sounds a bit like sour grapes from people who don't have SC nearby.

Am I a bad person if I plug in at the local SC while grocery shopping, even if there's never fewer than 6 (of 8) slots free? If so, why (remember, never less than 6 slots free)?

There's nothing wrong with charging at a local SC if you actually need to do it. (I've done it 7 miles away from my house when I only had 10 rated miles left). Like everything, the answer is "it depends".

What's not right is using it as your primary energy source or just every time you're in the area just because "it's free".

Tesla has the data and could easily draft a policy that allows local people to charge as needed (so they're not penalized), but if people surpass some pre-set threshold, they are penalized. And this limit would be pretty liberal. Tesla could enforce it, too.

It's not black & white (or red & blue). There is a possible middle ground, which I know in this current environment, is pretty hard to believe.

Last edited:
About 1/3 of those responding say it is their right to charge at the mall even if they don't need it, after all they paid for it

, when i bought my Tesla the web page calculated cost - federal and state rebate - fuel savings. I live within 16 miles of a SC and use it all the time for local charging.

jcag is the poster model of penny pinching inconsiderate bum (have I been offensive enough to get this post sent to the snippiness?) that wouldn't mind plugging in to save 85c worth of electricity and make a long distance traveler wait for an hour.

I really wish one of these days jcag waits for an hour in an SC on the way to the airport, misses the flight and also misses the long awaited family vacation on a cruise to Alaska. Will that a teach a lesson? I hope so, but not so sure.

jcag is the poster model of penny pinching inconsiderate bum (have I been offensive enough to get this post sent to the snippiness?) that wouldn't mind plugging in to save 85c worth of electricity and make a long distance traveler wait for an hour.

I really wish one of these days jcag waits for an hour in an SC on the way to the airport, misses the flight and also misses the long awaited family vacation on a cruise to Alaska. Will that a teach a lesson? I hope so, but not so sure.

I see you cant read. I said i have only seen a max total of 6 vehicles in our 10 stall charger in Fresno CA. Still if it had 3 waiting I would still charge there. Don't care what any of you say, I have never signed anything preventing me from charging at the local SC. If you don't want to wait at a SC, buy an ICE vehicle.

Oh, I also have a Nissan Leaf that came with 2 years free charging. I charge it 2 miles from my house. Once the 2 years are up i will charge at home. It's a 2 stall CHADEMO, although i have never seen 2 cars there ever. So now you can talk more S**T. Now I'm thinking of buying another CPO Tesla just to charge locally more, now that I know it bugs you. By the way, this December I had to wait at Rancho Cucamunga SC. It had lots of stalls but they were all filled. I think the owners were in the nearby theater or shopping at the mall. Nope didn't whine or cry, just waited 5 to 10 and charged

I would support higher idle fees. And for those who don't care about money (some driving the PDL cars that don't offer much more but bragging rights) perhaps a penalty/access structure.

With all the talk of faster charging in the future, leaving the car will only be possible if you'll allow it to decouple and re-park itself. There is no half hour for some groceries or a fast food meal.

Then, on a Sunday afternoon, it is FULL and 10 out of 10 people I see during 45 minutes are either leaving or returning to their car from shopping.

Your shops are open in Sundays?
Come over here, you won't find that problem in Germany. ;)

But in all seriousness, I think the best solution could really be those proposed automatic-SC-stalls that can plug/unplug themselves - and let the AP of the vehicle do the moving out of the way by itself.

As they go back and infill, I hope Tesla avoids placing more Superchargers at shopping malls. To be true to mission and minimize opportunity Supercharging, they really should be in travel centers, truck stops, etc.

That said, the fees for idling, and the relative decrease in the proportion of Tesla which have unlimited Supercharging should both help.

I'm hoping they put a lot of SuperChargers in highway rest stops. Maybe not the spots nearest to the rest rooms. But that seems like an ideal location for fast charging.

How about prohibiting SuperCharging at chargers within 50 miles of "home?"
So, if I'm 49 miles from home, returning home from a long distance trip, and I need a charge to get home or walk.....?

Just no.
I have that exact situation. Reason I stopped at that mall to begin with is splash needed to get 35 miles home. Ordinarily would have been 10 minute stop, but what with wait time and lowered kw due to sharing... it was 45. Hence my irate post.

Imagine how busy the superchargers are going to be when there are a lot of Model 3's on the road - that get less range...

If the V3 Superchargers can reduce charging times to 5-10 minutes, that can help - and eliminate the practice of parking and leaving, instead just wait for the charge to complete and move on, like a gas pump.

Am I a bad person if I plug in at the local SC while grocery shopping, even if there's never fewer than 6 (of 8) slots free? If so, why (remember, never less than 6 slots free)?

I think it's all a matter of perspective and capacity. Here in southern NJ, we have a single 8 stall SC (in Egg Harbor Township, about 20 minutes from my house, next closest SC over an hour away - this SC was added to the network to bring Atlantic City and Cape May within range, as there are a dearth of SC around Philadelphia) and I've never seen more than two Teslas charging at the same time. I'd say at least 75% of the time I drive by there is no one charging). I'm sure there are other Tesla owners in the area, but I don't ever see them. However, if one of them wants to charge there, I have no problem with it. Of course, if there were 10+ cars always wanting to charge in the 8 spots (meaning always over capacity), I could understand the other point of view. In fact, if all those owners waiting for a spot in CA want to come to NJ, I can guarantee you no waiting at the EHT SC - and Atlantic City could certainly use your tourism dollars! :)