Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jacking up via suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several threads about the jack points on this car and the adapters to use them. The model 3 only has about 5.5" of clearance below the jackpoints WITHOUT an adapter. Has anyone looked into jacking the vehicle by the suspension? Lower A arm knuckle or somewhere? Just curious if we could get it jacked up via suspension then slip in a traditional jack stand under the jack point?

Eastwood tire jacks might raise the car up a few inches to get a jack underneath. More expensive than buying a low profile jack.

You could buy an inexpensive low profile jack. Use it to lift the side you want to lift on the other jack point. That should get the desired lift point higher in the air.

Of course if you have a RWD car you could drive the front wheels up onto some 2x8 pieces of wood and get 1.5” more clearance. Just don’t do this with the driven wheels unless you want to make a projectile.

Last edited:
One option:

Sadly you cannot use an Exhaust Jack:

exhaust-powered-car-jack.jpg

-Randy

I got the custom jack pads for the Model 3 and plan to use that with my 1.5 ton jack (Harbor Freight) to jack it up at the jack points whenever I need to remove the wheels. I plan on using another 2 ton jack (Harbor Freight) to then jack up the suspension underneath the A-arm where the strut/spring (front/rear) meets. Then I would swap out the first jack and put in jack stands to have the car stable in order to work underneath the car.

Already did the easy part and installed new wheels, today will be installing lowering springs (Eibach). Will document and share on the other thread (Lower the Model 3).

• Informative
Reactions: dek526
My personal opinion is if you can find a strong bit of frame it would be safe; I've done it with other cars but most have weight considerably less than any Tesla.

The top-of-pic cross member sure looks strong but it's a reach under the car for sure, from the back you have to get past the bumper.

You'd think there'd be some big cross members up front as well..

All said I'm inclined to leaving the jack in place at the battery location and only as backup leaving a jack stand under other parts - way clear of battery..

ximm

Reactions: Lindenwood
My personal opinion is if you can find a strong bit of frame it would be safe; I've done it with other cars but most have weight considerably less than any Tesla.

The top-of-pic cross member sure looks strong but it's a reach under the car for sure, from the back you have to get past the bumper.

You'd think there'd be some big cross members up front as well..

All said I'm inclined to leaving the jack in place at the battery location and only as backup leaving a jack stand under other parts - way clear of battery..

ximm
That's a photo of the MS. I don't see anything but covers on the M3

I have a model x but applies here.

I do it all the time.
Using scissor lift wheb I do my tyres or so I can put car on stands to repair my wheels which I tend to curb every few months.
American car to big for new zealand roads lol.

Just jack under suspension dont jack the driveunit or it will be a bad day.

Are the quickjacks lifting the 3 at the designated lift areas? What are you using on the quickjack? I've been looking into these, and would love to hear from someone who is currently using them. Thanks!
I have the 5000 SLX and the rubber risers (come with the kit) covers the holes on both ends just barely. I’m planning to make some custom wood plates to provide a level plane so I feel more comfortable jacking the car up. I’ll get about 1/2” more distance to work with. I’ve got my wife’s Honda Pilot where this will come in handy also. If you are in the market for this I’d get the EXT version to make it easier to align the holes to the Quickjack.

• Informative
Reactions: SD_Engnr