Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed, I didn't say otherwise. My point was facetious, sorry for lack of Smiley.

The X is big in terms of being able to stand in a Falcon-wing doorway and put a kid into a child seat.

Like I said, I don't think comparison of i-Pace against MS or, for that matter, MX, is useful.

I was talking about 0-60. Interior space is totally different. So sure you can compare, but the X is a more practical car when it comes to seating, or trunk space. Though I guess the I-Pace might not be a lot less practical, than the S. It has a really long wheelbase and "just" 200l less trunk space. But if you need that trunk space, sure the S is more practical, probably a lot.

Other than that I totally agree with your post, but there is still a lot of EV hate around here:
2018 leaf?? ugly

Isn't this car just the F-Pace with an electric drivetrain? For a buyer who does not care about EV vs ICE and just wants the best value for money, why would they ever buy the I-Pace over the F-Pace? The difference in starting price is almost 30k USD.

Well, compare it to the 380 hp F-Pace S, which is $60k and the price difference is closer to 10k. A SE I-Pace is about as well equipped as a 67k F-Pace and costs 77k. But it is quicker, has more wheelbase, has access to incentives and is electric.

Sure compared to the base car it is still expensive, but compare a Model X to a base Audi Q7 (the Audi is actually longer, for everyone wondering, 0.6 inches). 30k difference and the Audi already has 7 seats. So is the Model X poor value for money? I'd say no, but maybe some of you have a different opinion?

Last edited:
Reactions: Riggald
Isn't this car just the F-Pace with an electric drivetrain? For a buyer who does not care about EV vs ICE and just wants the best value for money, why would they ever buy the I-Pace over the F-Pace? The difference in starting price is almost 30k USD.
I understand you are talking about best value for money, but when they are equivalently specced, the I-Pace is only £7,500 more expensive, and you are getting more power etc. as well as cheaper running costs.

Reactions: R.S
Interesting. Lots of details I hadn't seen before about the cooling system. Doesn't really sound like the cheapest or most effective approach, but we'll see how it works out.
I think I figured out the thermal transfer pad (known as gap filler in the heatsink biz) that the aluminum battery modules sit on top of.

I-PACE battery pack:
7BF3B7B5-B49E-468D-A50E-A3645E1AF445.png

Saint-Gobain Thermacool TC2006 Silicone Gap Filler:
EF48FE73-6212-460D-B9C4-5CAA228733FF.png

https://www.tapesolutions.saint-gobain.com/sites/imdf.foamsandtapes.com/files/thermacool-tc2006.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I think I figured out the thermal transfer pad (known as gap filler in the heatsink biz) that the aluminum battery modules sit on top of.
They have a cut-away of the IPace at Geneva, the bottom plate the pads sit on appear to be a corrugated sandwich construction (very much like cardboard packaging). My guess is that liquid flows through the corrugation channels .

There is a "cold" pipe inside the left sill and a "hot" pipe through the right.

I personally think Jag have put a lot of thought into thermal management for Northern European market where the S/X pack architecture is somewhat hampered by pack heating losses. (My experience was 6 months of the year I'd see the pack heater running on my short hop commute. Summer I'd see 250Wh/mi, winter 400Wh/mi)

I'm still road tripping back from the show, but will upload a photo from my dlsr when I get back to a PC

I just returned from the Geneva show. I did spend a lot of time in and around the I-Pace.
Now: Please stop comparing the I-Pace with the Model X or the Model S. It is something completely different!
There is much less room inside the IPace. The seating in the second row offers much less head and leg room then in the Model S or in the Model X. AC charging is indeed only 1 phase.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Very interesting! Thank you! You say that the IPace batteries are made in Poland. Today I asked a Jaguar technician in Geneva where the batteries are mad, she said in South Korea. What do you think is true?
I will have to go dig up where the Poland info came from. I don’t recall offhand. Lots of details to keep track of. :)

I will have to go dig up where the Poland info came from. I don’t recall offhand. Lots of details to keep track of. :)
From a January 8, 2018 article from a Korean business news site:

LG Chem to supply battery packs for Jaguar’s first EV - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea

According to industry sources on Sunday, LG Chem will manufacture battery packs for Jaguar’s I-Pace electric crossover at its first Europe-based battery plant in Wroclaw, Poland starting this month.

I just returned from the Geneva show. I did spend a lot of time in and around the I-Pace.
Now: Please stop comparing the I-Pace with the Model X or the Model S. It is something completely different!
There is much less room inside the IPace. The seating in the second row offers much less head and leg room then in the Model S or in the Model X. AC charging is indeed only 1 phase.
I am surprised you say it has less headroom. It certainly felt like more than my old Model S (Admittedly mine had a solid roof).

What I did notice about the rear seats is the backs felt quite upright, and the floor to seat base height was too short for me. (I'm 6'3")

I agree it's not really comparable to the S/X. I'd say a good comparison would be something like a Macan. (Or to be honest I can see it stealing Evoque customers!!)

To be honest though, for me the Kona was maybe the most impressive car on display. OK it's not "premium" badge, but it ticks a lot of boxes.

Reactions: Mitrovic
I am surprised you say it has less headroom. It certainly felt like more than my old Model S (Admittedly mine had a solid roof).

What I did notice about the rear seats is the backs felt quite upright, and the floor to seat base height was too short for me. (I'm 6'3")

I agree it's not really comparable to the S/X. I'd say a good comparison would be something like a Macan. (Or to be honest I can see it stealing Evoque customers!!)

To be honest though, for me the Kona was maybe the most impressive car on display. OK it's not "premium" badge, but it ticks a lot of boxes.

Dimensions wise, the iPace is pretty close to the Model 3, although the Model 3 has more rear headroom and a little less cargo space.

Dimensions wise, the iPace is pretty close to the Model 3, although the Model 3 has more rear headroom and a little less cargo space.
Well... I got to sit in both (there was a Model 3 at Geneva too). The IPacr felt quite a bit bigger.

Now if that's the tape measure lying vs subjective feel, I don't know. Silly things like a light roof colouring help too (from the subjective feel.)

The biggest "complaint" I'd have is the pack is quite a bit taller in the Jag vs the Tesla's. The issue with this is in the floor height vs the roof line.

In the car they had with coils, it wasn't a massive problem because the "H-Point" (the height of your hips above ground), worked in such a way as from standing you sort of slide in (which IMHO is the biggest benefit of many of these "SUV"). The car they had with air was set to it's lowest setting felt more like the sedan format, where you sort of drop in to the car.

• Informative
Reactions: EV-lutioin