Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not if they really do get the estimated 240 miles of EPA range (estimated by Jaguar) out of a 90 kWh (85 usable) pack. That might put it at one of the worse BEVs available for sale. A Tesla Model X 90D which is a much bigger vehicle was rated a 257 miles but only had 82 kWh of usable capacity (3 kWh less).

I would be very surprised if Jaguar's first BEV could match Tesla's efficiency. Looks like GM couldn't with the Bolt despite their experience.

I wonder if Jaguar will offer a track pack? Sexy bitch.

Jaguar I-PACE eTROPHY Electric Racing Series | Jaguar USA

jaguar-i-pace-etrophy-racecar-studio-2-1.jpg
jaguar-i-pace-etrophy-racecar-studio-3-1.jpg

jaguar-i-pace-etrophy-racecar-track-3-1.jpg

I would be very surprised if Jaguar's first BEV could match Tesla's efficiency. Looks like GM couldn't with the Bolt despite their experience.

At this point, so many Bolts have went 300 miles on a charge, it really doesn't matter now does it?

Even Bjorn Nyland with 3 people inside went 292 miles with lots of miles leftover on a road trip. Not hypermiling, just driving.

Sadly when Chevy said 'over 200 miles' they lied. Over 300 would be more honest.

An entire press fleet went further than EPA rated miles on normal California roads. One of them might have hit 300 that day if allowed.

It is what it is. No press reports of similar results on any model of a Tesla yet. ie - "We were surprised how much further it went than advertised!!!!". Except those two bozos in a P85 driving 55mph to Vegas with the windows up and AC off. They were trying to get 225 miles of range.

Not if they really do get the estimated 240 miles of EPA range (estimated by Jaguar) out of a 90 kWh (85 usable) pack. That might put it at one of the worse BEVs available for sale. A Tesla Model X 90D which is a much bigger vehicle was rated a 257 miles but only had 82 kWh of usable capacity (3 kWh less).

I didn't know those numbers. That's indeed not very good. The aerodynamics of the iPace don't look so good, but it's hard to tell. Maybe they are lowballing the numbers for now. Maybe they keep a larger top and bottom buffer on their batteries to make them last longer. But yet those numbers are not great

I didn't know those numbers. That's indeed not very good. The aerodynamics of the iPace don't look so good, but it's hard to tell. Maybe they are lowballing the numbers for now. Maybe they keep a larger top and bottom buffer on their batteries to make them last longer. But yet those numbers are not great

To support 400+ hp of EV components and AC and brakes, there has to be heat exchangers. But look at the top of the hood. This is an aero trick to stop a high pressure area from forming.

If you look at many newer car bodies, they do not look aerodynamic, but in fact are.

These 2 bodies have the same Cd, .31x):

2002-chevrolet-corvette-z06-road-test-review-car-and-driver-photo-9746-s-original.jpg
2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-test-review-car-and-driver-photo-670891-s-original.jpg

The first shape will go 175.x mph in 2 miles using ~355 rwhp, and consume a gallon of fuel every 29 miles at 75 mph, based on actual testing on California freeways.

Last edited:
Reactions: R.S
To support 400+ hp of EV components and AC and brakes, there has to be heat exchangers. But look at the top of the hood. This is an aero trick to stop a high pressure area from forming.

If you look at many newer car bodies, they do not look aerodynamic, but in fact are.

These 2 bodies have the same Cd, .31x):

View attachment 294842
View attachment 294843

The first shape will go 175.x mph in 2 miles using ~355 rwhp, and consume a gallon of fuel every 29 miles at 75 mph, based on actual testing on California freeways.
Neither of them has a grill.
They both look aerodynamic.
Corvette manages ICE with no grill. Tesla manages cooling with no grill.
Jag engineers need to get a clue.
The Jag looks like its grill is slowing it down. What's its CD?

Reactions: David99
Neither of them has a grill.
They both look aerodynamic.
Corvette manages ICE with no grill. Tesla manages cooling with no grill.
Jag engineers need to get a clue.
The Jag looks like its grill is slowing it down. What's its CD?

Both have grills (nose mounted air intakes). You are not looking in the correct places. The C5 is wide and under the front bumper, with 2 aux cooling ducts on the sides of the plate, and 2 brake ducts.
The Bolt has an active shutter grill which is fine for a 200HP application.

If it's the snout you don't care for, there are a lot Teslas with a 'grill cover' that does nothing.

The Jag is .29, or not that bad. Nothing is going to match the XL1 or early Insight in CdA in the near future.

They are racing the Jaguar on road courses. It does need more cooling and some downforce that the Teslas don't require. The fact you can turn off the babysitters, and hopefully turn off the FWD for entertainment (or at least programmable bias), makes it sound more like what I'm in the market for, except the silly 4 door thingy.

Last edited:
Both have grills (nose mounted air intakes). You are not looking in the correct places. The C5 is wide and under the front bumper, with 2 aux cooling ducts on the sides of the plate, and 2 brake ducts.
The Bolt has an active shutter grill with is fine for a 200HP application.

The Jag is .29, or not that bad. Nothing is going to match the XL1 or early Insight in CdA in the near future.

Understand, they are racing the Jaguar on road courses. It does need more cooling and some downforce that the Teslas don't require.
Semantics. Of course they have cooling intakes but not a big ugly grill.

Sidebar - There is a hotel in London that has a Jaguar Suite. It's pretty bad arse. All the decor is Jaguars. I think it's called the Taj and is right next to Buckingham Palace. Cool room, and I'm not a Jaguar fan. If I can find some pics, I'll post them if anyone is interested.

Just saw CNBC's Phil LeBeau's interview with Waymo's CEO Phil Krafcik. This is great stuff!

Waymo CEO: Our focus has always been safety

Let's see where we net out - despite being in the Tesla camp overall, my money's on Waymo-Jaguar and their Lidar implementation beating Tesla and their Radar-camera setup to full autonomy.

Not if you read this article:

Exciting New Research Lends Support To Tesla's Computer Vision Strategy - Tesla, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

• Informative
Reactions: gg_got_a_tesla
I wonder if Jaguar will offer a track pack? Sexy bitch.
It looks even better in the flesh :) (They had one on display at Geneva.)

Interestingly some of the items looked too production ready for a mock-up. For example it was using the same carbon fibre rotors and big calipers found on the F-Type SVR.

I asked directly when the SVR edition would be available and just got back a wry smile. Given they will have to do a load of R&D for the race series, it wouldn't surprise me if they do launch one at some point (but being SVR it will have a big premium and launched a year or two later.).

Will it go much faster is hard to say. The motors Jag use are the same as in the Formula-e car, but de-tuned slightly. The Formula-e cars run around 270hp so in theory they might be able to up it to 540hp.

Reactions: Riggald
I had a chance to sit in I-Pace a couple of weeks ago.

Materials feel nice, better than my 2017 Model S. For example the leather is very soft and probably slightly cushioned even on doors. Light leather interior was cool. It is a small car, felt smaller or equal to a Golf mk.6.

Design is subjective. I'm not a big fan of the I-pace design, internal or external. It's ok.

I don't need space but don't value the interior materials above my Model S tech.

Price was very comparable to my car. It had 25k€ worth of extras.

I will likely get a test drive in a prototype in June.
20180405_172850.jpg

Attachments

• 20180405_172244.jpg
    20180405_172244.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 20180405_172241.jpg
    20180405_172241.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 89
  • 20180405_172237.jpg
    20180405_172237.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 20180405_172247.jpg
    20180405_172247.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 77
That's my feeling without making measurements. But I drove the Golf 6 to the event. Maybe it is the use of space for that rather large dash and middle console, and raised floor. Looking at numbers it is clearly bigger car than Golf.

As disclaimer, I am used to big cars like A8 lang and Model S. I-Pace would be large enough for 99% of my driving, and even unnecessary large for 90% of it to be realistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: WannabeOwner
Unexpectedly Jaguar Brazil is now including the I-Pace configurator. No price nor expected delivery dates. Anybody who thinks this is a compliance car only might want to reconsider. Brazil does not especially encourage BEV's. If it were slightly narrower and shorter it could be highly successful, assuming that the promised charging networks actually happen.
For me, I'll buy my long-reserved Model 3 unless the I-Pace arrives first, in which case I'll be confronted with a dilemma, since I just registered for the I-Pace too.

Being built by Magna-Steyr is a big positive for me too. I have had three cars built by them, each one of which has been impeccable, rather better than have been most cars produced directly by their brand's own factories. I realise I have a very small sample.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: alloverx