Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fully Charged i-Pace review

Curiously, the rear seat does not appear to provide better thigh support than the Model 3, despite the I-Pace being a compact crossover. 23 Mins 30 seconds into the video, where Jonny Smith is sitting in the back row, his knees are elevated and thighs are receiving practically no support.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Sorry I just have to say it.
That is one ugly looking car....and the instrument cluster! Yikes!
I can't say that I like the style, either. They did go to the trouble to design an EV from the ground up with skateboard battery pack. Mystery why they put a big grill on it since not much to cool. I guess they couldn't resist making it look like and ICE car.

As far as I’m concerned, I find it to be by far the best looking EV in the market.

Beauty is such a subjective thing... :)
Yep this is true.

For me it looks like they went the opposite direction from Tesla with all the edges and scoops...and the interior control scheme also seems to be the opposite of clean and simple.

Yep this is true.

For me it looks like they went the opposite direction from Tesla with all the edges and scoops...and the interior control scheme also seems to be the opposite of clean and simple.

I agree with you about the interior design. But in all honesty, I am not sure that Ian Callum had the design of the Tesla in mind when he started drawing the I-Pace.

Personally, I am absolutely fan of this « techy but sleek » interor design. While I like the giant panel of the Tesla, there is clearly a word of difference between both cars in terms of materials and perceived quality. Not to mention the leather seats of the I Pace which might let one think than Tesla use plastic... :)

But even more importantly, you have to be aware that the I pace looks MUCH better in real life than on videos/still shots. I have seen it here in Spain during a private event, and I was left with no other option than ordering one.

Can’t wait for the fall!!

I agree with you about the interior design. But in all honesty, I am not sure that Ian Callum had the design of the Tesla in mind when he started drawing the I-Pace.

Personally, I am absolutely fan of this « techy but sleek » interor design. While I like the giant panel of the Tesla, there is clearly a word of difference between both cars in terms of materials and perceived quality. Not to mention the leather seats of the I Pace which might let one think than Tesla use plastic... :)

But even more importantly, you have to be aware that the I pace looks MUCH better in real life than on videos/still shots. I have seen it here in Spain during a private event, and I was left with no other option than ordering one.

Can’t wait for the fall!!

Hope you love it as much as I love my Tesla!

• Funny
Reactions: David99
For me, the biggest difference is the dashboard. Tesla MCU is both fantastic and annoying. This winter I have had to switch between "cold weather" to put on heat in the wheel, "suspension" to adjust height to clear snow banks and music. But Tesla keyless is perfect, no silly start button, autopark is really hands free.

And the car type, S as a grand touring 4 door coupe is not perfect for us. The I-pace is smarter, beating a Model Y to market by at least 2 years in Europe. I wish the Jag had extended the rear with 5-10 cm though.

For me, the biggest difference is the dashboard. Tesla MCU is both fantastic and annoying. This winter I have had to switch between "cold weather" to put on heat in the wheel, "suspension" to adjust height to clear snow banks and music. But Tesla keyless is perfect, no silly start button, autopark is really hands free.

And the car type, S as a grand touring 4 door coupe is not perfect for us. The I-pace is smarter, beating a Model Y to market by at least 2 years in Europe. I wish the Jag had extended the rear with 5-10 cm though.

At least in terms of size we will have three SUVs to choose from this year, the Jaguar, the Audi EV SUV, wich is 20 cm longer and the Model X, 17 cm longer than that.

Sadly we still don't have a wagon, or something like that and all to EV SUVs are pretty expensive, but at least we are getting alternatives,

What happened to the liquid thermal management of the battery pack? There was no real discussion of that and the cutaway pack doesn’t really show much thermal management. Could be thin metal plates basically going to a thermal spreader, but that’s quite different than the thermal jackets in a Tesla pack.

What happened to the liquid thermal management of the battery pack? There was no real discussion of that and the cutaway pack doesn’t really show much thermal management. Could be thin metal plates basically going to a thermal spreader, but that’s quite different than the thermal jackets in a Tesla pack.

The video didn't show the battery side of it, but there was a whole discussion about using a heat pump to salvage energy for warming the pack.

The video didn't show the battery side of it, but there was a whole discussion about using a heat pump to salvage energy for warming the pack.

The video did show the cutaway of the pack including the battery modules as well as the individual cells. The HVAC tubes are there going into the front of the pack (blue and red colored parts with black tubes), but it appears that they are using a heat spreader design similar to the Bolt’s pack. The amount of heat that can be removed is going to be interesting as they try to DCFC in hot temperatures.

I can't say that I like the style, either. They did go to the trouble to design an EV from the ground up with skateboard battery pack. Mystery why they put a big grill on it since not much to cool. I guess they couldn't resist making it look like and ICE car.

Grilles are seen as signatures of the make. They probably wanted to keep that.

Reactions: David99
The video did show the cutaway of the pack including the battery modules as well as the individual cells. The HVAC tubes are there going into the front of the pack (blue and red colored parts with black tubes), but it appears that they are using a heat spreader design similar to the Bolt’s pack. The amount of heat that can be removed is going to be interesting as they try to DCFC in hot temperatures.
Those look like water-based liquid coolant connections to me as opposed to HVAC refrigerant tubes (as used in the BMW i3, I think).

From the pictures we have seen it isn’t obvious whether there are any thin aluminum heat sink plates in contact with the base of the module as well as the vertical sides of all of the cells. The Bolt does that. For all anyone can tell here, the 12 cells in each module are just facing each other directly but that doesn’t seem plausible.

Here is a snapshot from another Jaguar video of the concept car pack showing the light-purple heat transfer pads that go under each module.

242E4ECD-6CC9-4A10-A6BB-71301289B11A.png

As you may recall, some of this detail is covered in my article last month on the Bolt vs I-PACE batteries:

Jaguar and Chevy have LG in common

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I guess they couldn't resist making it look like and ICE car.

I disagree, I think that's just branding. Despite their launch video making direct comparisons with MX I think Jag's initial target audience is existing Jag users. I mean ... they are only making 20K-ish units a year, and 50% of them appear to be going to Waymo ... much easier to sell the rest to existing punters who know & like the Dealer etc.

It looks like an aerodynamic fail to me, but I ain't no boffin.

The 'Fully Charged' video gives an excellent impression of the car. It looks amazing and I honestly love the interior over my Tesla. 95% efficiency of the motor is stunning. Looks like they have some fine engineers making this car.
It's good to see that they did take the time to make a proper EV (except for the grill) and not just a hack job on an existing platform.
Not sure I like the interior or the exterior but that's just my personal opinion.

The 'Fully Charged' video gives an excellent impression of the car. It looks amazing and I honestly love the interior over my Tesla. 95% efficiency of the motor is stunning. Looks like they have some fine engineers making this car.

Not if they really do get the estimated 240 miles of EPA range (estimated by Jaguar) out of a 90 kWh (85 usable) pack. That might put it at one of the worse BEVs available for sale. A Tesla Model X 90D which is a much bigger vehicle was rated a 257 miles but only had 82 kWh of usable capacity (3 kWh less).

Reactions: Jeff N