Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it's autonomous and, take Elon's example, you summon it from California to New York, how are you going to clean it, if the camera's get dirty and can not be used along the way. You just going to fly to the location and clean the camera's so it can finish it's drive?

Or is the autonomous driving just local driving? So you can get in your 2nd car to drive and clean the camera's.

Also what regulations are going to be needed for autonomous driving? Will the US regulations be the same as Australia or Germany's?
If it is local driving, the iPace still doesn’t have it.

Diesel can power fighter jets

Indeed, but the problem is that the German car makers persuaded (arm twisted?) our government that Clean Diesel would be A Thing, and as a result our Government provided incentives and all sorts ... of course we are now Post-Dieselgate and know that none of that was true, but the consequence is that we have a very high percentage of Diesel cars, and thus a pollution / particulates problem to match ...

... maybe it was also an act to reduce foreign imports, from countries where car industry was not big on diesels - such as USA?

Back in 2000 Gasoline car sales in UK were 85% of the market, that fell to 49% in 2016 - Diesel rose from 14% in 2000 to 48% in 2015 but has been falling back since and is projected to fall to 30% by 2020.

"While diesels have long held a niche role in the U.S. auto market, it is fading fast. Just 28,604 diesels were sold in the U.S. this year [2017] through April, down 35 percent from the prior-year period"

from Bloomberg.com

so nothing like the same problem over your way (although you have more pickups than us, particularly down in Texas as I recollect it from my travels :) )

• Informative
Reactions: Reciprocity
Indeed, but the problem is that the German car makers persuaded (arm twisted?) our government that Clean Diesel would be A Thing, and as a result our Government provided incentives and all sorts ... of course we are now Post-Dieselgate and know that none of that was true, but the consequence is that we have a very high percentage of Diesel cars, and thus a pollution / particulates problem to match ...

... maybe it was also an act to reduce foreign imports, from countries where car industry was not big on diesels - such as USA?

Back in 2000 Gasoline car sales in UK were 85% of the market, that fell to 49% in 2016 - Diesel rose from 14% in 2000 to 48% in 2015 but has been falling back since and is projected to fall to 30% by 2020.

"While diesels have long held a niche role in the U.S. auto market, it is fading fast. Just 28,604 diesels were sold in the U.S. this year [2017] through April, down 35 percent from the prior-year period"

from Bloomberg.com

so nothing like the same problem over your way (although you have more pickups than us, particularly down in Texas as I recollect it from my travels :) )

Since 2000, there has been 2,100,000 Duramax 6.6L light vehicle engines produced from a single mfr.
I'd venture to guess that a similar number of Powerstroke light vehicle engines were produced, and a similar number of Cummins engines.

In the US, we put diesels in pickups and vans. I would estimate the number is approaching 10,000,000 total diesels in light duty vehicles are registered and on the road since they have very long lifespans.

Diesels never caught on as passenger car engines in the US. They are sort of pointless.

Why diesels in pickups? The newer ones are now way about 450 HP. The 0-60mph time for a 1 ton dually 4x4 is about 6.5 seconds. These are very powerful trucks, and people will pay the premium for more towing power.

Last edited:
So your saying that Tesla has autonomous driving right now? Otherwise the hardware doesn't mean *sugar* if it's not working? I could put wings on a car and say it's a flying car, just waiting on the software and government regulations.
Jaguar could say they’re releasing a new car called ‘iPace’, but until the first one is registered on the road, it doesn’t mean sugar

Diesels never caught on as passenger car engines in the US. They are sort of pointless.

Agreed. But that point was lost on our Government when VW et al showed up at their door ... pity VW didn't show up with a killer EV plan, we wouldn't now be needing this forum at all!

I'm with you that Diesel in a Truck takes care of the power issue. Here's hoping that EV will do so too before long ...

This number is astounding to me. Are you saying that EVs already outsell Diesels in the US? Does that include pickups or just cars? great news if its both or even just cars. Never new the market was such a niche market here.

Are you saying that EVs already outsell Diesels in the US?

Never sure what "through" means in USA-speak :rolleyes: - its either the first 3 months or the year ... or 4 ... :cool:

I'm not sure what "auto market" means in USA-speak either, but I presumed Diesel CARS only

Here's the original article (I only picked the top one from Google, so probably better sources available - e.g. the whole year)

America's Diesel Car Market Gets Even Smaller

This number is astounding to me. Are you saying that EVs already outsell Diesels in the US? Does that include pickups or just cars? great news if its both or even just cars. Never new the market was such a niche market here.

Diesels as of 2017 model year, for the US market, non-pickup (unknown availability of actual retail cars):

Jaguar Land Rover -
F-Pace 2.0L
XE 2.0L
XF 2.0L
Discovery 3.0L
Range Rover 3.0L

BMW -
328D 2.0L
X5 3.0L

Chevrolet -
Cruze 1.6L

So at the most, there are 5 passenger car diesel engines sold in the US. Few people have seen any of them in person.

There are at least 6 pickup engines that I know of.

Last edited:
Reactions: WannabeOwner
So when is Tesla's autonomous car going to be released. I'm pretty sure the iPace will be out before it.
I am certain that enhanced autopilot with auto road transitioning will be out before the iPace, which it doesn’t have.
As for whether the iPace will beat an autonomous driving Tesla to market, we don’t know, But when the latter does arrive, the iPace will crash in value, on top of having a higher depreciation rate regardless.

• Funny
Reactions: svp6
Because not even Paris takes that 'global warming' threat seriously. It's just a big vacation on the taxpayer's dime.

Diesel can power fighter jets, tanks, 777's, trains, farm equipment, Class 8 trucks, cargo ships, industrial equipment, generators, cars, trucks, motorcycles with zero GHG. With NO mechanical changes to the vehicle. And do it at 20-80% higher efficiency than the odd mix of unwanted chems that gas has become.

Gasoline? No. Not even close. It's actually a bad joke. "Run everything off corn liquor!!" yeah... try it. Algae actually works as does rapeseed, there is No Such Thing as zero GHG emission gasoline that runs in all engines.
You do realise that diesel exhaust not only contributes to anthropogenic global warming, but also to the immediate health threat of airborne pollutants?

Diesel/jet fuel can be made algae or rapeseed, These are zero GHG footprint and very, very low pollution. Think of it as a chemical battery.

Gasoline doesn't work that way at this time.
Biofuels are *worse* when it comes to NOX and particulates, and they do have an indirect GHG footprint (just like EVs.)

Gas-to-liquid is better for NOX and particulates, but have substantial CO2 emissions.

Diesel/jet fuel can be made algae or rapeseed

I recon you have space enough for that over in USA. Over here prime agricultural land has been used for Biofuel production (and, for that matter, huge arrays of PV panels) and put pressure on food production. All because Government has provided subsidies ... its plain daft ... no doubt there is some Equal Equality consideration why the PV thing could not have only been granted to poor quality / unfarmable land ...

We have also decide that Wind Flowers are an eyesore so farmers can't get planning permission to stand them in their corn fields ... which would still allow them to produce food of course ...