Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just a bit sad with minor M3 issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The OP has options:
  1. Sell the car and at a minimum get all of his money back or maybe even more and pocket the $10K in tax credits/rebates ($7.5K Fed, $2.5K Ca)
  2. Take his car to one of the classic car restorers in the Bay area and have them rebuild the car to his specs.
  3. Wait for Honda to build a BEV
  4. Purchase a Honda Clarity for 2 times what he normally spends including the reduced tax credit for PHEV for a car with half the features of a model 3.
I wish the OP well in his quest for the right car for him.

The Honda Clarity Plug In Hybrid Touring starts at about $36.6K (dealers MIGHT negotiate a discount) and qualifies for the full $7500 fed tax credits. Other than Autopilot/FSD...the Clarity Plug In compares very nicely with the Model 3...it even has Andorid Auto/Carplay but just like the Model 3...no heated steering wheel and HUD.

Last edited:
I think his points are valid. Still, he should have known better if he was waiting 2 years for this car and unaware of all these issues. They have been well documented over and over again.

When we got our early 3 we had a host of issues that were fixed for the most part with OTA updates. We knew what we were getting into but tesla is the only game in town for BEV with charging network that 'works'.

There is still no excuse for Tesla to deliver cars with actually broken parts in the showroom. We can't bash the consumer for trusting Tesla to deliver what was purchased.

Unfortunately with Tesla you must pick over the car with a fine tooth comb to make sure everything is right. Bay Area service centers ] damage more than they fix in my experience.

First of all, you didn't have to apologize for the accent. When a language is not your first, you speak with accent. If one doesn't understand, then that person is too ignorant for you to care about. But the reason your video is negative is the way you presented your story. Your voice is too low, and the background music makes it so hard to hear.
Obviously, you had a lot of expectation since this is an expensive car for you; you're a Honda guy. This usually sets one up for disappointment because reality would never match imagination.
When I bought my Mercedes, the salesman insisted that he should go over the car's features with me. He said he's obligated to. I insisted that we should skip it. I mean, how hard is it to learn about those features? For me, it's actually fun to figure out things myself. Plus, you're a software engineer. These things should be piece of cake. Any software engineer worth anything should be able to figure how to navigate software UI without a user guide. I don't have the M3 yet, but when I had the chance to sit in one, I figured out how to play a song within seconds. And if you're like any one of us, you probably would have learned about all the features of the car anyway. So what's the big deal? I think it was all because you brought everyone in your extended family and was expecting some sort of mini ceremony for delivery and didn't get one. If that's the case, buy a BMW and take European Delivery (youtube it). You'd get treated like a VIP. For me, it's nice to have, but it's not a deal breaker. Same thing with gaps and alignment. When my Mercedes first came out, people complained about the same thing, why the rear lights are not flush, etc. For the life of me, I didn't see it even when I tried to find it. I guess some people are more anal than the other. I see the door gap in your video. BUT. I would only see it because you pointed that out. Sure it shouldn't be like that, but unless someone is comparing two sides like you did, most of the time those things are not noticeable.

• Love
Reactions: Brando and pkalhan
I'd start by thanking every responder - each one of you educated me on something on your own time. So, THANKS A LOT :)

Let me clarify more accurately and briefly (uh and without videos..)
  1. My only issue now is Charge Port noise. It clicks every 1.5 seconds 24/7. :(
    • Also I am surprised that Palo Alto Service center claimed they fixed it and replaced the part and so on, when I could reproduce same issue an hour later. To me, that claim by proficient technicians is a bigger issue.
  2. QUALITY: I know better than expecting CEO response in real-time or any time even. But, engineers tend to estimate optimistically and commit to difficult schedules resulting in production hell. I have seen this enough. My only point is, end user should not suffer on your flagship product like M3. Products should be PRODUCTION QUALITY.
    • But let's not chew on this unnecessarily - I also understand challenges and none of my issues were claimed catastrophic by me. (The "moaning mentality" is your words not mine.) It is just that Tesla Service kept the car for one week and I could find the issue in 1 hour. ;) That is not QUALITY, buddy..
  3. I had a tone. Ideally that should not happen, but sometimes we vent. I will improve but I also won't ever be a robot. But - fair point novox77 and others.
    • All Teslas are likable and Fremont delivery center did what they could. I for one am "anti RTFM" and fairly hands-on with electronics and gadgets tinkering. So it did not bother me personally whatsoever that they did not explain things.
    • The point about Touchscreen overview etc was for my little kids, wife and my mother who joined me for their first "Tesla delivery experience". We thought the delivery could have more "Aha" factor that's all. But, Tesla is busy and I get that.
  4. Engineers have different backgrounds and not every software engineer is "iOS savvy". iPhones use BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) and with Apple's help to Tesla, hopefully "phone is your primary key", which is still a paid concept, will one day work as ubiquitously advertised. Here on, will keep checking forums on this issue rather than posting. Fair?
  5. Misc - sorry for background sound... Updated my forum name.. Late? well better than never! Oh and, next time no videos..
Thanks.

I'd start by thanking every responder - each one of you educated me on something on your own time. So, THANKS A LOT :)

Let me clarify more accurately and briefly (uh and without videos..)
  1. My only issue now is Charge Port noise. It clicks every 1.5 seconds 24/7. :(
    • Also I am surprised that Palo Alto Service center claimed they fixed it and replaced the part and so on, when I could reproduce same issue an hour later. To me, that claim by proficient technicians is a bigger issue.
  2. QUALITY: I know better than expecting CEO response in real-time or any time even. But, engineers tend to estimate optimistically and commit to difficult schedules resulting in "production hell". I have seen this enough. My only point is, end user should not suffer on your flagship product like M3. Products should be PRODUCTION QUALITY.
    • But let's not chew on this unnecessarily - I also understand challenges and none of my issues were claimed catastrophic by me. (The "moaning mentality" is your words not mine.) It is just that Tesla Service kept the car for one week and I could find the very same issue in 1 hour. ;) That is not QUALITY, buddy..
  3. I had a tone. Ideally that should not happen, but sometimes we vent. I will improve but I also won't ever be a robot. But - fair point novox77 and others.
    • All Teslas are likable and Fremont delivery center did what they could. I for one am "anti RTFM" and fairly hands-on with electronics and gadgets tinkering. So it did not bother me personally whatsoever that they did not explain things.
    • The point about Touchscreen overview etc was for my little kids, wife and my mother who joined me for their first "Tesla delivery experience". We thought the delivery - which they scheduled in odd inconvenient hours claiming less rush - could have then had more "Aha" factor that's all. But, Tesla is busy and my family now gets that.
  4. Engineers have different backgrounds and not every software engineer is "iOS savvy". iPhones use BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) and with Apple's help to Tesla, hopefully "phone is your primary key", which is still a paid concept, will one day work as ubiquitously advertised. Here on, will keep checking forums on this issue rather than posting. Fair?
  5. Misc - sorry for background sound... Updated my forum name.. Late? well better than never! Oh and, next time no videos..
Thanks.

Here on, will keep checking forums on this issue rather than posting. Fair?
No, that is not fair. We want you to post! As a software engineer and model 3 owner you have much to contribute. We are all early adopters, we are on a journey together, we all learn together. We can and should be critical but in a proactive way.

I don't have my model 3 yet. I will be getting an invite any day now. While I wait patiently, tell me what you do like about the car.
Did Tesla give you a loaner while your car was in the shop? What was it?
What do you like best about the car?
Did you explain how the U.I. works to your family? My wife refuses to read an instruction manual. She is comfortable with a computer but is not comfortable with being a computer mechanic. I WILL NOT be explaining all the functions of the U.I. to her any time soon, too much for her to absorb at one time. I will save all of her settings to her profile so she just gets in the car and drives. I will show her more of the functions when she is ready to ask for help (the secret of a long marriage ;))
As a software engineer, any ideas what the issues are with the smartphone app?

Thanks for any insights you can offer.

I have to admit.. I wonder if this is a troll.

Between the piano music in the background, the tweet to Elon and the complain about the delivery period (despite being in the delivery period), the software engineer who doesn’t understand the UI..

Also this is his first post at midnight on a Saturday night.

If it is a troll though that is very hilarious.

I have to admit.. I wonder if this is a troll.

Between the piano music in the background, the tweet to Elon and the complain about the delivery period (despite being in the delivery period), the software engineer who doesn’t understand the UI..

Also this is his first post at midnight on a Saturday night.

If it is a troll though that is very hilarious.

Why don’t you read the lines rather than reading between them SO much.

The charge port opens and closes automatically, right? So there’s a motor in there and gears that turn the charge door closed. Once the door is closed a sensor reports that it’s closed. For car to drive the door needs to be closed and hence the sensor.
May be - just may be that sensor isn’t getting better soon trigger. Typically these are infrared light detectors that look for light to be intercepted. If sensor and door assembly don’t line up EXACTLY, the sensor will keep trying to close it.
I just don’t want to open up the car myself. I love it for one, and secondly I’d rather use warranty.

No more “troll” or other unusefuul comments.. they’ll be ignored.

Why don’t you read the lines rather than reading between them SO much.

The charge port opens and closes automatically, right? So there’s a motor in there and gears that turn the charge door closed. Once the door is closed a sensor reports that it’s closed. For car to drive the door needs to be closed and hence the sensor.
May be - just may be that sensor isn’t getting better soon trigger. Typically these are infrared light detectors that look for light to be intercepted. If sensor and door assembly don’t line up EXACTLY, the sensor will keep trying to close it.
I just don’t want to open up the car myself. I love it for one, and secondly I’d rather use warranty.

No more “troll” or other unusefuul comments.. they’ll be ignored.
Hundreds of people have reported exceptional quality with their Model 3 (including me). Who cares about charge port noise, I mean really why does matter? Just enjoy your car dude!

Who says ALL model 3s are buggy, dude? Mine does have a couple of small issues, so I’m sharing my insights on them!
By the way I do enjoy driving it but I can’t ignore this. At this rate charge port will be end of life soon with wear and tear every second. Tesla should have checked when they had TWO chances to do so.
And also they should have done their QA with iOS keyless entry.

No, that is not fair. We want you to post! As a software engineer and model 3 owner you have much to contribute. We are all early adopters, we are on a journey together, we all learn together. We can and should be critical but in a proactive way.

I don't have my model 3 yet. I will be getting an invite any day now. While I wait patiently, tell me what you do like about the car.
Did you explain how the U.I. works to your family? My wife refuses to read an instruction manual. She is comfortable with a computer but is not comfortable with being a computer mechanic. I WILL NOT be explaining all the functions of the U.I. to her any time soon, too much for her to absorb at one time. I will save all of her settings to her profile so she just gets in the car and drives. I will show her more of the functions when she is ready to ask for help (the secret of a long marriage ;))

Thank you thank you for understanding me and for encouragement. Here are answers to you -
1. Palo Alto staff was exceptionally courteous and gave me a loaner.

2. Car is smaller and lower than other Tesla models. Because of that it makes you feel really punchy acceleration. It’s amazing. I truly enjoy it. I also don’t regret paying 1k for RED for such punchy smaller car. We had 3 their cars and didn’t need it but I still love having it.

3. To me this car is a GADGET. Being a gadget guy I’ve been HOOKED to M3 videos for almost a year everyday. Surprisingly nobody brought up similar issues on videos so I got bit worried. Yes I joined forum few months back but I wasn’t regular visitor here; should’ve...

4. UI - I have a lot of thoughts on UI. I am picky on UIs. For one, if a car maker builds touchscreens, at a minimum screen should have tactical feedback. Without that, you mandate driver eyes while clicking and that’s a recipe for accidents, right?

5. Next...

Reactions: C141medic and T34ME
What is such a big deal with IOS keyless entry.. works 95 percent of the time here. And when it doesn’t work? Start the app or use the card. Not a big deal

And the 95 percent of time time when it works.. it’s a better experience than any ICE

And all this stuff will be addressed via software update!

Should we really delay the model 3 for this stuff? I don’t think so. And if you were the ones who had to wait for one more year I am pretty sure you would be talking differently.

5. I explained UI to everyone - neighbors and colleagues included :) .. Family is still getting used to it thou. It’s not perfect UI. But I also see Tesla prioritized getting hardware out first over software. It’s easy to improve UI next!

6. I discourage reading manuals to whoever I know - I am anti-RTFM. To me, gadgets should be intuitive, Self-explaining and eye-pleasing.

7. Issues w/ smartphone app: yes, a few. UI is slow, App connecting to car is VERY slow and you can issue commands or view battery life only after it connects.. App takes 10-30 seconds to “wake up” and connect to car LTE. And this can be speeded up because network latencies on LTE aren’t such high.

8. Oh by the way I never mentioned - even in the video - that inside rubber lining around passenger rear door were lose and saggy. Again, I argued a few times for service center to replace it. They kept wanting to “repair” it. RepIr isn’t good enough because after few years these rubber linings anyway sag... come on Tesla Quality.. :)

What is such a big deal with IOS keyless entry.. works 95 percent of the time here. And when it doesn’t work? Start the app or use the card. Not a big deal

And the 95 percent of time time when it works.. it’s a better experience than any ICE

And all this stuff will be addressed via software update!

Should we really delay the model 3 for this stuff? I don’t think so. And if you were the ones who had to wait for one more year I am pretty sure you would be talking differently.

Before I post anything here I’d have done all of the typical and usual stuff like reboot phone, reboot car, restart app, put phone in airplane mode and back on etc...
My phone proximity keyless entry NEVER works. I always have to touch the key card to B-pillar. Although I can open the app, wait for 10-30 sec for it to start, then hit “Start” car button, put my thumb on iPhone home button for confirmation and start the car that way all the time.. kinda a 7 step process though ;)
By the way my phone is working just fine and not a suspect. It has Bluetooth 4.1 which is a BLE.