Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just come across the phantom braking issue, considering canceling my order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only have standard AP in my daily driver 2023 MYP,
My wife's 2023 M3P has the EAP, and if if recall correctly, there's a setting in configuration for auto lane change.

The AP is an absolute game changer for me. Over the last 6 months we racked 12,000 miles on the M3P and about to do another 4K in the MYP.
Almost all of it on autopilot.
Is it perfect? No,
It does however make the driving super pleasurable, and relaxing
The setting for auto lane change is defeated in FSD. They have added a setting, "Mimimal Lane Changes for this drive" which seems to help, but it must be reset each drive. I find no auto drving mode of a Tesla relaxing. I am more in attention and anxious with it enabled than if I just drive myself, thus me loving the car when you turn off all the non-functional driving aids. I just play with the auto driving features when I have spare time on a drive, just for play.

The setting for auto lane change is defeated in FSD. They have added a setting, "Mimimal Lane Changes for this drive" which seems to help, but it must be reset each drive. I find no auto drving mode of a Tesla relaxing. I am more in attention and anxious with it enabled than if I just drive myself, thus me loving the car when you turn off all the non-functional driving aids. I just play with the auto driving features when I have spare time on a drive, just for play.

There's "some" level of attention and anxiety for sure when I am using AP. Its a trade off for not needing to be fully engaged in controlling the car for the duration of the drive.

Um. If you’ve got that option, you’re on the FSD Beta. Which is not ready for Prime Time. Tesla says so: “The car will do the wrong thing at the worst time.” You had to read that and click to acknowledge before you could use FSD-b.

So, you’re a tester. Data you’re reporting back to Tesla is used to help improve the product. At $16k what you’re getting is the promise that, when it leaves Beta status, you’ll get the full version at something of a discount. Because the full version will be worth a LOT more than $16k.

Just like buying a house before it’s built. People who do that get a discount.

Now, if you’re claiming that Tesla lied to you and told you you were getting the full version right now.. don’t think I believe you. They’re pretty explicit in the advertising.

@Tronguy , there are few options on the car that aren't beta, including auto headlight dimming and auto wipers. Both of which don't work either. Phantom braking occurs on every Tesla in any drive where autopilot is used. BTW, when I bought my car in June 2020, Musk proimised buy the end of the year it would be full self driving and all cars with FSD would become 1 million robotaxis making money for their owners. It is all a big broken promise. We are all still waiting.

in 5 years of driving my tesla I'd say I've experienced the phantom braking a couple dozen times. its a pretty rare occurrence for me with AP1. when it does happen its a minor inconvenience and doesn't last but a millisecond. As soon as the car starts to slow for no reason i hit the throttle and I'm back up to whatever speed i was cruising at.
the reasons i've noticed is shadows from bridges or street lights. i don't notice this when on a highway outside the city.

again - and please correct me if im wrong - all this other brand hands free driving, and self driving Taxis hype is limited to mapped regions.
Tesla by design should self drive itself around my barn
I expect it to do more than my dog ($500) at ($80k)

He brings me stuff I tell him to and a dozens of other call stuff and it only took 6-months of Coopervision and with no doggy network - unless the late night barking amongst his pals is them talking through stuff and sharing data?

Meanwhile my FSD MY can’t even back out of the garage on its own!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: aesculus
@Tronguy , there are few options on the car that aren't beta, including auto headlight dimming and auto wipers. Both of which don't work either. Phantom braking occurs on every Tesla in any drive where autopilot is used. BTW, when I bought my car in June 2020, Musk proimised buy the end of the year it would be full self driving and all cars with FSD would become 1 million robotaxis making money for their owners. It is all a big broken promise. We are all still waiting.
I was told the auto wipers and headlights are Beta by the SC?!

The wipers work haphazardly in the day and at night they give up! The auto lights are hysterical.

My wife was trying to avoid using the wipers until she got to a car cleaning place as the glass was smeared with bugs. She forgot about AP forcing on the wipers by default.

He brings me stuff I tell him to and a dozens of other call stuff and it only took 6-months of Coopervision and with no doggy network - unless the late night barking amongst his pals is them talking through stuff and sharing data?

Right there with you.

I paid a lot of money for a Tesla and it cannot make coffee like my wife can. But neither can back out of the garage so that is a tie.

Those bastages at Telsa...

Last edited:
Right there with you.

I paid a lot of money for a Tesla and it cannot make coffee like my wife can. But neither can back out of the garage so that is a tie.

Those bastages at Telsa...
The annoying thing for us is that if the MY was sold/totalled it would be replaced with an MY again, probably the MYP. Charging network, efficiency, storage and performance out weigh the auto wipers and lights. Also, it’s cheaper than when we bought it last year. We’d just not waste our money on the EAP and FSD.

Hahahah that's what you get for buying a new car, the older ones are better. I have AP1 and my car can pull in and out of my garage on its own while I just stand there next to it in the driveway as it goes in.

Uh huh. So, the household has two Teslas: A 2021 MY with the EAP option and a 2018 M3 with all the bells and whistles, including FSD-b. So I've got a pretty clear idea what the car can do.

I should note that the 2018 M3 while, it does have USS and RADAR, doesn't actually use either of those: As part of the FSD-b program, both of those have been turned off.

So, FSD-b, right? I haven't had issues with the windshield wipers for at least nine months now. They Just Work. Same with the headlights, except for the snivvy that, in NJ, there's a state law that says that if the windshield wipers are on, the headlights need to be on, too. (Recently discovered that's true in MA, too.) So, do it manually.

As far as the phantom braking goes: I've been out with the spouse for a relatively long trip the last few days, driving her MY. It's done a couple of phantom braking events. One can tell: It's the shadows in the right places at the right times that does it. But, no question, the MY is running the older limited access highway stack.

The M3 stopped having phantom braking events early in 2023, at least for me. What I do get is that FSD-b, city streets/highway version (they're merged, now) really does read traffic speed signs. So, one is chugging along in NJ at 65 with traffic (speed limit is actually 55, but nobody does that, unless one is interested in suicide). And the local street repair guys do their bit: A half mile ahead of the nearest traffic cone, they put up, "temporary" signs that say the speed limit is 45. Never mind that nobody actually slows down withing 10 mph of that when one is actually in the construction zone: Nobody even blinks as that first 45 mph sign goes flying by. But the Tesla, Thank-You_NHTSA-And-Your-Recalls sees the sign and immediately starts slowing down to 45. The rate of decrease, it turns out, is just about the level of deceleration that an old-time phantom braking event might be, but it's not that.

Over on the 11.x threads where people discuss all this it does appear that true-blue phantom braking events still occur, but rarely, and only to (it seems) particular posters. And some of those posters recently figured out that it was the speed limit signs.

So, based upon your previous posts, it appears that you're running around with FSD-b. Did you notice the speed limit sign issues? Again, this is a beta, you know.

Y'know, saying that the auto headlights and wipers are labeled beta, and thereby concluding by some leap of logic that it must be of the Class of Released Feature (with bugs, maybe?), and therefore everything that Tesla sells must therefore be Released... I think your internal logic engine needs work.

Or you're just trolling.

• Informative
Reactions: Konicom04
Uh huh. So, the household has two Teslas: A 2021 MY with the EAP option and a 2018 M3 with all the bells and whistles, including FSD-b. So I've got a pretty clear idea what the car can do.

I should note that the 2018 M3 while, it does have USS and RADAR, doesn't actually use either of those: As part of the FSD-b program, both of those have been turned off.

So, FSD-b, right? I haven't had issues with the windshield wipers for at least nine months now. They Just Work. Same with the headlights, except for the snivvy that, in NJ, there's a state law that says that if the windshield wipers are on, the headlights need to be on, too. (Recently discovered that's true in MA, too.) So, do it manually.

As far as the phantom braking goes: I've been out with the spouse for a relatively long trip the last few days, driving her MY. It's done a couple of phantom braking events. One can tell: It's the shadows in the right places at the right times that does it. But, no question, the MY is running the older limited access highway stack.

The M3 stopped having phantom braking events early in 2023, at least for me. What I do get is that FSD-b, city streets/highway version (they're merged, now) really does read traffic speed signs. So, one is chugging along in NJ at 65 with traffic (speed limit is actually 55, but nobody does that, unless one is interested in suicide). And the local street repair guys do their bit: A half mile ahead of the nearest traffic cone, they put up, "temporary" signs that say the speed limit is 45. Never mind that nobody actually slows down withing 10 mph of that when one is actually in the construction zone: Nobody even blinks as that first 45 mph sign goes flying by. But the Tesla, Thank-You_NHTSA-And-Your-Recalls sees the sign and immediately starts slowing down to 45. The rate of decrease, it turns out, is just about the level of deceleration that an old-time phantom braking event might be, but it's not that.

Over on the 11.x threads where people discuss all this it does appear that true-blue phantom braking events still occur, but rarely, and only to (it seems) particular posters. And some of those posters recently figured out that it was the speed limit signs.

So, based upon your previous posts, it appears that you're running around with FSD-b. Did you notice the speed limit sign issues? Again, this is a beta, you know.

Y'know, saying that the auto headlights and wipers are labeled beta, and thereby concluding by some leap of logic that it must be of the Class of Released Feature (with bugs, maybe?), and therefore everything that Tesla sells must therefore be Released... I think your internal logic engine needs work.

Or you're just trolling.

I am nowhere near loosing faith in nerdy tesla engineers, but have been a bit put off with all the bad press on PB.
Thank you for clarifying a lot of that for me in your writeup

2015 MS AP1: zero phantom braking incidents, 156k miles, 90% on AP
2022 MYP vision only with EAP: zero phantom braking incidents. 14k miles, 80% on AP. To note, this car will unreasonably slow down for merging cars if you are in the right lane in situations which human drivers would keep their current speed and safely allow the other car to merge behind them. But I would not characterize this as phantom braking.

Is this without USS? My 22 MY with EAP and USS can do this just fine
Ha. I can get the two cars (2018 M3 FSD-b, 2021 MY, EAP) to back out of the garage just fine, although it's slow: The door's narrow.

Getting in is impossible. The builders left a 1.5" lip of concrete from the tarmac to the garage floor and both cars get stuck trying to go up and over.

Someday the SO and I will get the driveway repaved by a pro and put a bit of a ramp in there. But until then, it's manually in.

Why would I be trolling someone like you? Mine slows down to a change in speed limit normally, plus the offset I have set.

As far as the beta wipers: Musk Provides Timeline for Improved Auto Wipers and 'Actually Smart Summon' Tesla Features . Looking forward to Tesla's possible fix to the wiper issues. Glad you don't have them.

You must be a Musk-boy, @Tronguy.
Ha. Not hardly. What I am, though, is an engineer and mixed hardware and software troubleshooter by trade. You don't want to know the number of times I've been faced with some malfunctioning or smoked (not kidding about the smoke) piece of gear and had to do a whacko deep-dive into the operation to figure out what died. Logic probes, logic analyzers, step-by-step through the assembly, fishbone diagrams, elimination of the wrong hypotheses, and so on.

Most of the time I've been lucky and find out what I've been looking for. Sometimes, not so much. But I'm a believer that Rube Goldberg and Sherlock Holmes, between the two of them, had a pretty good fix on how the world works. And both of them (especially Rube) were on first-name terms with Murphy.

Thing is, if one is troubleshooting, making up scenarios for possible fault cases means that all the observed facts have to be met. Or at least have to be handled.

Another rule is that if somebody with reliable knowledge tells you something, then one takes that at face value. You don't want to know the number of times I've been told by a customer some cock-a-mamie story about something that happened in the field. People around me would go, "That can't be right, let's look at this other cause." I'm the maniac that said, "Naw. If so-and-so said that that happened, let's take it at face value and see where it leads us." The answer is: Some pretty strange places where Murphy has been hiding.

So, you've been saying "FSD-b and phantom braking are a thing!". Um. I haven't seen that. At least, not much. And then make claims that FSD-b isn't Beta and you're mad about that. While Tesla, the people who made the blinking car, are saying, "This is Beta. You can die if you don't watch it." Um. I'm a-gonna go with Tesla on this one.

I just got FSD 11.4.4 last night. A new issue with this release is on the 10 mile drive across town on the 4 lane divided bypass, both going and coming back, at 45MPH, the car turns on the left turn signal at the last minute and pulls into the left turn lane slaming on the brakes (I take control, of course). The NAV shows I am going straight and no telling why it choses to suddenly turn left. The roads down here have 5+ years of bad map data. Tesla, thank goodness, is beginning to not use it as much. I still have instances when it shows 25MPH speed limit on a road I just turned on, when it is 55MPH. The FSD is obviously trained more on SoCal roads than the rural KY roads. I can't wait until Musk tries his coast to coast trip without intervention, scheduled before the end of the year(?). States have different laws, like keep right except to pass, emergency vehicle response, funeral response (we must pull over and stop, no rolling stop at stop signs, etc. I just want the car to make it 10 miles on a well marked 4 lane road without needing intervention on a clear day -- nothing special. I know it is beta, but Tesla is conquering the special oddball cases, and not the normal driving cases that more people will encounter.