Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just come across the phantom braking issue, considering canceling my order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I understand it by reading the 2023 MS Owners Manual TACC is for highway.
From the manual:
"Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is primarily intended for driving on dry, straight roads, such as highways."
We use ACC everywhere. It's very easy to avoid speeding and adds extra comfort in stop and go traffic in cities.

Why does it work without issues on our Mini, the BMW and not on a 100.000 EUR Tesla? All our other cars are even (much) cheaper then the Model S.
I don't talk about winding roads, just rural straight roads. Even the BMW ACC works decent on winding roads. Not perfect, but good enough.

There are posts enough on this forum from owners who switched from other brands to Tesla and report the same issues.
Other brands seem to master this much better then Tesla, despite Tesla being a software company and TACC and AP are selling points.
The MS has it's advantages, but the driving assistance systems isn't one of them.

I've driven a lot of European cars with ACC systems, so I can pretty good compare them, and the Tesla is by far the worst.
That's my personal opinion of course...

I hope not all Teslas. It's probably been mentioned here but the Mobileye version doesn't have that problem.

The other day I was at a Tesla service center picking up a new 12v battery. While I was waiting there was another guy there who took in his car to be looked at because of the phantom braking problem. There was a freight truck behind him and out of nowhere the car hit the brakes so hard that the freight truck had to drive off the road to avoid flattening him. The rep gave him some kind of canned answer they have for this problem. The customer was a lot calmer about it than I would have been.

I don't see the Model S listed in that.

I have had Phantom Breaking in my 2020 LR+ as well as with my current 2022 Model S. It happens in Autopilot as well as with TACC, does not seem to make any difference. Annoying and potentially dangerous. I log a "Bug Report" almost every time, so hopefully Tesla can see the data,

I don't see the Model S listed in that.

I have had Phantom Breaking in my 2020 LR+ as well as with my current 2022 Model S. It happens in Autopilot as well as with TACC, does not seem to make any difference. Annoying and potentially dangerous. I log a "Bug Report" almost every time, so hopefully Tesla can see the data,
Noticed lack of Model S as well. Way too narrow focused. This problem affects all cars built with FSD hardware. Phantom breaking is such an embarrassment. I never use FSD with others in the car.

Reactions: TessP100D
The FSD and autopilot work the same. There are many fewer Model S and Model X cars. If Tesla fixes the problem, I don't think they will not apply it to the software version that we all get together. There is very little difference on the various models. They share the same hardware.

Why are you in a Tesla then ?
Why switch for the good cars?
I believe I was commenting on phantom braking, and how the only car of my list of good cars, including Tesla, that had this problem was Tesla. I love driving my Tesla, even though it is difficult to listen to SiriusXM because of the Tesla Interface, and that it must be manually driven without automation for trouble free cruising. I suppose I am a bit aggrieved at the high price I paid for the FSD automation that is not ready 3 years after my purchase

I believe I was commenting on phantom braking, and how the only car of my list of good cars, including Tesla, that had this problem was Tesla. I love driving my Tesla, even though it is difficult to listen to SiriusXM because of the Tesla Interface, and that it must be manually driven without automation for trouble free cruising. I suppose I am a bit aggrieved at the high price I paid for the FSD automation that is not ready 3 years after my purchase
Late to the party Ford had hands free driving in the U.K. legally approved in April.

Whereas we’re making self driving taxis Tesla does not… if only I could get my FSD money back.

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Late to the party Ford had hands free driving in the U.K. legally approved in April.

Whereas we’re making self driving taxis Tesla does not… if only I could get my FSD money back.

again - and please correct me if im wrong - all this other brand hands free driving, and self driving Taxis hype is limited to mapped regions.
Tesla by design should self drive itself around my barn

• Funny
Reactions: Undecided_2
again - and please correct me if im wrong - all this other brand hands free driving, and self driving Taxis hype is limited to mapped regions.
Tesla by design should self drive itself around my barn
Tesla cannot drive me down a 4 lane divided highway without me intervening multiple times in 10 miles. If there was some way to turn off it deciding to move into a different lane for no reason, this would help. The newest issue is it wanting to move into the right lane to"stay on route" when the route continues for 10 miles straight ahead, and the right lane is a line of slow cars. The old persistent issue is on a 4 lane highway with no other traffic in front or behind the car every 2 miles wants to move into the left lane to move out of the "slower" right lane. Inappropriate lane changes is just one of the issues that makes Tesla driving unusable. I want to initiate all lane chanes with the turn signal. I do not want to give the car this function yet.

Tesla cannot drive me down a 4 lane divided highway without me intervening multiple times in 10 miles. If there was some way to turn off it deciding to move into a different lane for no reason, this would help. The newest issue is it wanting to move into the right lane to"stay on route" when the route continues for 10 miles straight ahead, and the right lane is a line of slow cars. The old persistent issue is on a 4 lane highway with no other traffic in front or behind the car every 2 miles wants to move into the left lane to move out of the "slower" right lane. Inappropriate lane changes is just one of the issues that makes Tesla driving unusable. I want to initiate all lane chanes with the turn signal. I do not want to give the car this function yet.

I only have standard AP in my daily driver 2023 MYP,
My wife's 2023 M3P has the EAP, and if if recall correctly, there's a setting in configuration for auto lane change.

The AP is an absolute game changer for me. Over the last 6 months we racked 12,000 miles on the M3P and about to do another 4K in the MYP.
Almost all of it on autopilot.
Is it perfect? No,
It does however make the driving super pleasurable, and relaxing