Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just gave Tesla my deposit: Need help!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a week and a half left to finalize my order and want to be super sure that I am ordering the car of my dreams. :tongue:

My biggest debate so far is the performance or not.

I positively want the bigger battery (85Kw) and the twin charger pack, and I am upgrading the rims and adding sunroof and tech pack.

Not too worried about the air suspension pkg, but is the performance + package, that is optional on the performance model, worth it?

Please lend me your words of wisdom (or sarcasm if that is all your pea brain can come up with)!!

Thanks!!!

I would skip the twin chargers. Unless you drive over 200 miles a day in multiple return home trips, I just don't see you needing it. With a NEMA 14-50, you can completely charge your car overnight while you sleep. So that's $1,500 you can save. Similarly, the HPWC can be skipped as well.

Air suspension has proven to be more of a gimmick from what I've seen but I've never driven an S without it so take that with a grain of salt.

The S85 is an amazing car. It goes PLENTY fast. The P85 goes supercar fast which is supercool but I just couldn't justify the extra cost. More-so if you get the suspension upgrade.

But hey, if you are flush with cash, go nuts.

I had a P85 loaner for the weekend while my car was getting worked on and I will say that the P85 is definitely faster from a stoplight. Everywhere else it is identical to the S85. It was more difficult to keep the energy usage down.

Either way you really can't lose. Pick your poison and run with it.

My advice: if you decide on the S85 (and it's the sane thing to do), stick with the 19" wheels and tires. You won't get much if any benefit from the stickier tires with the S85's torque, though you might if you like to throw the car around. 19's will give you much better tread life, better ride, less likelihood of tire/rim damage: it'll save you a chunk of change over time (my Roadster required new rear tires every 5500 miles: I spent way more money on rubber than electricity). If you like the look of the turbine wheels, check aftermarket 19" and 20".

I don't think the dual chargers add much value as you'll want to use superchargers whenever possible on road trips, the availability of AC 80a chargers in the wild is minimal and you only need 40a at home. Of course, the AC 80a charger infrastructure may improve with time, but it's not clear that it will.

The factory paint protection isn't very good: it doesn't wrap the edges and only about 1/3 of the hood is protected. Go aftermarket.

Yet another test drive today... well took out 3 different models they had available - S, Perf, and Perf +.... Loving it! However, against most, I prefer to go without the air ride option. For sure on after market paint protect/wrap (Thanks everyone for your comments).

I am becoming a bit more picky: not loving the plastic vanity mirrors, and that iphone is via bluetooth only, cable only supports charging (hope to see an update in the near future) but whatever.

I still think I am going to go with the twin chargers only because I do A LOT of driving, and plan to also.... Now, to begin the planning of my cross country trek with the Tesla. The most exciting part is finding charging stations (aka your homes) along the way!!!

I am becoming a bit more picky: not loving the plastic vanity mirrors, and that iphone is via bluetooth only, cable only supports charging (hope to see an update in the near future) but whatever.

Note, I believe all the new cars are arriving with glass vanity mirrors, not plastic any more. At least mine are glass.

Well... what was your assessment of the three cars you drive today?
Not many people get that chance, back to back.

I still think I am going to go with the twin chargers only because I do A LOT of driving, and plan to also.... Now, to begin the planning of my cross country trek with the Tesla. The most exciting part is finding charging stations (aka your homes) along the way!!!
I think that is a good choice. There are 70 and 80 Amp J1772 EVSEs, and, at least out this-a-way, several 70 Amp Roadster stations (expensive adapter needed). Many of the Canadian Sun Highway installations are 80 Amp J1772s.

I got burned once by electing to not take the relatively inexpensive ($700) CHAdeMO option on the LEAF. Of course, at least with the Tesla, the second charger can be added later at higher cost.