Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got a new update 2019.40.2.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A while back a guy posted a tirade about never installing updates. Some folks are like that but when that's the case I wonder why they bought a Tesla.

As for me, I always install them the instant I see one is available. Yes, sometimes there are bugs, but for me that's part of the fun and I like to think that by doing that I am helping in my own small way to improve the product. :)

My X had notes about improved automatic windshield wiper activation. Especially for light rain. Also, if you have it on automatic and activate the wipe manually, it will take note and learn about your preferences for future wiping. Deep Learning AI.

Also an autopilot improvement for changing lanes into slower or faster traffic. Increased safety and more agressive fitting into the next lane with traffic.

20191211_221807.jpg
Here's the notes from my 2017 Model X with MCU1 and AP 2.5.

Interesting. So on MCU1 with AP2.5 it has stop sign warning...

Trust me I know... I've figured out that all works off the ability to render websites through the browser. When it's not working I try to reboot the MCU and before the network comes up browse to a simple page like Google and see if it at least fails. Then when the network does come up the web should be usable including the release notes.

The biggest problem with the browser interface not working as I don't really surf the web because it's slow as *sugar* and I can find release notes online, the in display car manual doesn't work when the browser is jacked up!

A while back a guy posted a tirade about never installing updates. Some folks are like that but when that's the case I wonder why they bought a Tesla.

As for me, I always install them the instant I see one is available. Yes, sometimes there are bugs, but for me that's part of the fun and I like to think that by doing that I am helping in my own small way to improve the product. :)

That tirade was, as the struggle was / is real. Many of those who lived with and experienced software versions 7 & 8 in a Model S / X were EXTREMELY disappointed with V9 (including myself) it was a HUGE regression. It removed nearly all of the flexibility I had on my center screen and gave me the "one size fits all" Model 3 screen makeover in portrait mode. Anyway "rant off" this is not the appropriate thread.

Just updated to 2019.40.2.1 about an hour ago. (was notified of the update yesterday) but could not down the car until now.
Release notes are the same as for 2019.40.2 It has the standard "performance improvements and bug fixes" at the top of the release notes.

It does not add or change much on the pre "everything" Classic S / X … I got the ability to have my car charge and be ready / preconditioned etc. at the time I want to leave home. It states that this feature replaces "smart preconditioning" so I'm left to wonder if now the car must be on the plug for smart preconditioning to work?

Also Auto NAV which will take you from home to work and back daily as well as take you to your next destination "appointment" upon entering the car if you have a detailed calendar on your phone that the car has access to via Bluetooth

• Disagree
Reactions: Barensn
Do you guys wait to do these updates or update when ever they come out?
Just like my computer, I never install a new operating system update as soon as it comes out. I let all the other folks fight the bugs until the manufacturer fixes the major issues and makes a new release. Has worked fine for me to avoid problems in the last 3 years.

Fabulous, I love people like you :) Seriously, I do love to see people willing to immediately install updates. Test those updates for me and come here to say what is good, bad, and ugly. I can understand it is fun for many people. I am just not one of them. There are a LOT of other reasons I bought the Tesla. It wasn't to be a beta tester. I do update on occasion but only after something significant is added and I don't see any bad comments about it from other posters.

Reactions: tccartier
Above posters have a good point. Those of us who have been around for a good long time know that operating system coders (both Windows and Macintosh) screw up. I've had some pretty sketchy MS updates, and one (long time ago, tho) when Apple released an infamous update. That kind of stuff will make you cautious.