Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got an email to pay for my 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got an email to pay for my car today. The estimated delivery date is between March24-March31.
Confirmed 12/26/15. VIN assigned 2/29/2016. XX18XX. It is a blue 6 seater, No L, No tow. 20" standard.
In my only call to DS last week, he confirmed that it was ready to get into the production line mid this week. So far, right on the schedule.

I have a 90D with 5 seats....good to see the 90Ds going into production but unfortunately the 5 seaters are delayed until June.
We also ordered a 90D with 5 seats and received Tesla email "Your Model X is on track for a mid-2016 delivery." Then added the following:
"Right now we're producing Model X 90D with 6-seat and 7-seat configurations. If you would like to change your Model X to one of these configurations, you could take delivery in April/May."

The wife wants a 5-seat configuration and I want a 6-seat configuration and if this offer was really a guarantee it would be very tempting.

Also received the email with payment total. Sales tax calculation is at a higher rate than my 2013 Model S. Looks like I am paying Chicago tax rate this time and paid my local rate in 2013. The only difference is that my 2013 S was delivered to my home (what happened to that unbelievable level of customer service?) and the X is set to be delivered at Villa Park Illinois. Emailed my DS but no response so far. Anyone else run into this? It is about a 2K difference for me.

Did anything change on MyTesla when you folks got the payment email?
I've been in touch with my DS on payment details, but don't have a firm delivery date beyond Mar 24-31 yet. So, I'm curious if I should be expecting anything else.

Within hours of getting the Emil and talking to my DS, my MyTesla page changed to allow show my a high level summary of what is due and a button to make payments.

Since we all know why these cost...

image.png

There is absolutely no reason to pay until after you have inspected the car and plan on excepting it. Then you can write a personal check. Paying beforehand does not speed up delivery.

In my case, at the last minute they found an issue which prevented delivery. It was another four weeks before I got my car. If I had paid beforehand they would have my money and I would not have a car. There have been others who have paid and didn't get their car for months.

This is the first car company I have ever dealt with which asks for entire balance weeks or in some cases months before car is delivered. If you push back they will let you pay upon inspection and acceptance of the car.

Got an email to pay for my car today. The estimated delivery date is between March24-March31.
Confirmed 12/26/15. VIN assigned 2/29/2016. XX18XX. It is a blue 6 seater, No L, No tow. 20" standard.
In my only call to DS last week, he confirmed that it was ready to get into the production line mid this week. So far, right on the schedule.

My DS just emailed me that our car was "in final inspection". Exppecting to hear about a date/time for pick up (at the factory) any day.

There is absolutely no reason to pay until after you have inspected the car and plan on excepting it. Then you can write a personal check. Paying beforehand does not speed up delivery.

In my case, at the last minute they found an issue which prevented delivery. It was another four weeks before I got my car. If I had paid beforehand they would have my money and I would not have a car. There have been others who have paid and didn't get their car for months.

This is the first car company I have ever dealt with which asks for entire balance weeks or in some cases months before car is delivered. If you push back they will let you pay upon inspection and acceptance of the car.

I got told yesterday I could bring payment to the delivery (now in 18.25 hours!) or pay by ACH online but that doing a wire transfer (the other option) would delay delivery because it generally takes more than 2 days. I chose to pay by ACH because that way the payment has cleared before I take delivery and they don't have to do a hard hit on my credit. I got really ticked off back in 2011 when I bought my Prius v and wrote a check for the full amount and they did a credit check anyway. 2 years to get back down to 0 hits on my credit; very annoying! I like having a credit rating in the 800's... I suppose a cashiers check would avoid it as well, but that's a pain!

Reactions: ModelX