Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got car - noticing more body roll on twisty roads than usual

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The moose test ...says next to nothing about how the suspension and steering rack work,

Actually the moose test covers exactly what the OP said he was concerned about. It's hard to tell that from all the noise in this thread, but see below.

My previous. Cars give you a lot of confidence on a quick lane change maneuver or when trying to avoid hitting an object on the road .

Reactions: CarlK
The moose test is a simple matter of the torque applied by the lateral acceleration being opposed by torque caused by the tire grip. Having the low CG that it has, gives the Tesla a massive advantage, but is says next to nothing about how the suspension and steering rack work, and it sure as hell says nothing about their feel (as in refinement, something that, no offense, a lot of people, both here and in general, are oblivious to).

Oh, and trolling /= expressing other opinions

Oh c'mon that moose test was not the only one test out there. Model 3 had won pretty much every type of comparison tests from experienced driver or reviewer. Low CoG and centrally located weight distribution indeed gave Tesla a massive advantage but isn't that exactly the point? What would be your next argument against it? It's so quick only because of the electric motor so that shouldn't count? I've owned and driven many of those best sports cars on the planet. It's pretty clear you have no idea what you're talking about. Use facts instead of only throwing out some superficial big words. You don't think Tesla knows how to do all those things too? Just to give you an idea Ford GT chassis designer was on the team that designed the Model S suspension.

Trolling does equal to the attempt to induce argument with lies and half truth. Op's statement just does not make sense but I still said trolling was just one possibility.

Last edited:
Top Gear just did a comparison test with the Model 3 Performance that discusses this very briefly. (Test lap @ 3:41)

I'm driving the 3P-, so it's unclear to me what my car actually has in terms of suspension, but I definitely feel what OP is talking about at high speeds (twistys at 60mph+). That's actually how I found this thread.

I may give UPs sway bars a try if it continues to bother me.

Those are commuter/efficiency tires. High sidewall, and less grip. Switch it up to a tire as comparable as the S5 or AMG had, and you'll likely notice a big improvement in handling.

^^ I think this probably explains what I've been noticing since I have the base wheels/tires (mIchelin Primacy). I reduced air pressure. It arrived with 50 psi and I dropped it to 40. But it still lacks composure at high speeds and I should probably have used the term "sweepers" rather than "twisties" as the type of road I notice it the most

All in all though terrific car. I always thought I needed a sport exhaust to fulfill my driving experience but haven't missed that much.

Just got car few days ago and fine on city streets but when I get on our tollway (at freeway speeds) which has newly paved roads with some nice twists here and there the car has a strange side to side reaction. Even though I've been driving an Audi S5 and CLk55 AMG lately before theTesla arrived I certainly don't expect it to bite down into those curves like those cars do however this still doesn't seem right. Even our 2016 Honda Pilot doesn't behave this way on those roads and it is far from a good handling vehicle.

M3 is SR+ and is running Michelin Primacy tires on the base Aero wheel. Generally I've done well with any kind of Michelin and wonder if these are made differently for EVs or something. I might take some air out and see what happens. They are at 46 psi now. I'd give up some range to have better handling. Also the car sits a bit high and maybe that has something to do with it or maybe Tesla hasn't quite developed a good suspension setup for the base car.

Anyway has anyone else noticed what I'm talking about? Otherwise hard to complain about the vehicle but handling is important to me.
Never heard anyone have this comment before. Mine is tight as hell... I have the 18" wheels tho so maybe thats it? Otherwise.. cant relate

You starts to sound like a troll. I don't know who designed the Model 3 but I remember for Model S Tesla team had the original engineer who designed the Ford GT chassis. Model S really had great handling with little or no body roll for a car this heavy. Can't even compare to the Model 3 even for my P85+ of course. The car I had before it was a Cayman S. BTW the car Randy Pobst drove was a stock performance.

Could I offer another possibility? You think your car may have some problems and you can let the service to take a look at?

I came to this thread looking for perspective on the handling. It’s interesting that people bring up professional drivers... autocross... mooses and track numbers and such…But I was definitely feeling that there are some issues in the way the car (feels like it) handles. No I don’t think I have a suspension problem that needs to get looked at.

If the general consensus is that this car feels solid and handles well, for reasons other than being able to accelerate out of corners better than other “petrols”, then I guess I’m just gonna have to evaluate how I drive?

At any rate, I’m coming out of an a3 (with s3 suspension components) and I can’t help but to think that the body roll on the M3 coupled with the surprisingly tight spring rate and awesome grip makes for a ride that does not feel like German cars I’ve been driving. Doesn’t feel like any car I’ve ever driven…

so I guess rather than go off on a tangent about suspension part #s etc., I would like to know If you guys think it’s worth it to just slap on some thicker sway bars and call it a day.

so I guess rather than go off on a tangent about suspension part #s etc., I would like to know If you guys think it’s worth it to just slap on some thicker sway bars and call it a day.

Awaiting some answers too - my car gripes quite well but the seats aren't set up for even mildly aggressive cornering so if the body stayed as flat as the chassis seems to, I'd appreciate that upgrade

I came to this thread looking for perspective on the handling. It’s interesting that people bring up professional drivers... autocross... mooses and track numbers and such…But I was definitely feeling that there are some issues in the way the car (feels like it) handles. No I don’t think I have a suspension problem that needs to get looked at.

I learned over time that many Model 3 owners are coming from Prius, Leaf, and other economy cars so "great handling" is very relative compared to someone coming from an AMG.

Reactions: LordMelkor
Please check my earlier post to see where I came from. Also AMG is for grandpas with more money than sense.

The M3 is a great-handling car and if OP's does not fit the bill either it has an issue or he does.

I learned over time that many Model 3 owners are coming from Prius, Leaf, and other economy cars so "great handling" is very relative compared to someone coming from an AMG.