Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just paid off current car, Model III wait begins...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I don't have the most miles, 168,000 but it is a 1998 Honda Odyssey (last model year with a 4cl, and real car doors and windows). We do very little driving (6,000 year) so I can't cost justify the car on gas savings. I love the technology of electric cars. It will either be a model X or 3 in a couple of years. Just put a new timing belt in the Odyssey so she is good for at least 2 or 3 more years... : )

OK, I don't have the most miles, 168,000 but it is a 1998 Honda Odyssey (last model year with a 4cl, and real car doors and windows). We do very little driving (6,000 year) so I can't cost justify the car on gas savings. I love the technology of electric cars. It will either be a model X or 3 in a couple of years. Just put a new timing belt in the Odyssey so she is good for at least 2 or 3 more years... : )

Back when it was still truly a "minivan." The new Odysseys, as well as just about every other so-called "minivan" now is huge. The only one that could be considered a minivan is the Ford Transit Connect, which ironically, Ford is going out of its way to call the "un-minivan."

The only problem is I do have a periodic 100-mile round-trip commute, and my mid-point (work) recharging options are not always reliable, which could make the return drive a dicey proposition. No other current EVs (other than the Model S) have a long enough range that I could confidently make a round-trip commute without having to charge. Could get a Volt (and actually considered one before I bought the Sonata) but I'm not sure if the fuel savings would offset the lack of a car payment. I'm not expecting to buy until late '17, early '18 on the Model III.

Is there a CHAdeMo charger near your route to work? If so, you could stop there for 10-20 minutes when unable to charge at work. This would make a Leaf a viable option while waiting for the III.

GSP

Is there a CHAdeMo charger near your route to work? If so, you could stop there for 10-20 minutes when unable to charge at work. This would make a Leaf a viable option while waiting for the III.

GSP

There's a Nissan dealer about 3 blocks from my work that has a CHAdeMo. I've toyed with the idea of the Kia Soul EV (which has a CHAdeMo port), but I think I'm just going to enjoy not owing "the man" and holding the pink slip to my Sonata 'til the Model 3 comes out.

I have a 2008 Mazda that I bought in 2010. I hope the Model III is available when I need to replace this car. If not I might look into buying a used Leaf. With my short commute a degraded battery shouldn't affect me.