Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just picked up my model X with AP 2.0 hardware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only picture I haven't seen is one of the rear-view camera for AP 2.0.
Here you go. The performance during daytime is OK but under low light condition(high ISO) there is a lot of noise but still operational. If the autopiloting cameras have similar spec, I woulbe be little skeptical about AP 2.0 performance during night time.

Attachments

• IMG_2538.JPG
    IMG_2538.JPG
    535.9 KB · Views: 179
Here you go. The performance during daytime is OK but under low light condition(high ISO) there is a lot of noise but still operational. If the autopiloting cameras have similar spec, I woulbe be little skeptical about AP 2.0 performance during night time.

Thank you for the picture, the new(ish) rear camera does indeed show improvement in optics. I guess in "automatic mode" the camera uses a different wavelength for operation as they seem to otherwise be in black and white (and perhaps red)... (But lack of rear radar certainly seems like a genuine concern to me.)

Any chance of a sideview of the second row with the floor showing, to see the recent changes in the second row floor similar to this? http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/si...a-Model-X-interior-looking-into-rear-seat.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: AssortedBread

Thanks, but I was looking for a close up pic of the OTHER rear-view camera. The one that's used by AP, and not the rear-view camera used for backing up.

I'm really curious as to whether the AP rear-view camera will be better during the rain than the backup camera.

Thanks, but I was looking for a close up pic of the OTHER rear-view camera. The one that's used by AP, and not the rear-view camera used for backing up.

I'm really curious as to whether the AP rear-view camera will be better during the rain than the backup camera.

What other rear view camera? There are only three:
  • Left Rearward-Looking Side Camera: Max distance 100m
  • Middle Rear-View Camera: Max distance 50m (shared by backup camera functionality.)
  • Right Rearward-Looking Side Camera: Max distance 100m

• Funny
Reactions: lunitiks
What other rear view camera? There are only three:
  • Left Rearward-Looking Side Camera: Max distance 100m
  • Middle Rear-View Camera: Max distance 50m (shared by backup camera functionality.)
  • Right Rearward-Looking Side Camera: Max distance 100m

Ah, I didn't realize they were going to share that camera. No wonder I've never seen a pic of it. :p

Well that's going to make my biggest concern really easy to confirm. That is that I've found that camera (in an AP 1.0 car) to be absolutely worthless in the rain. The new ones are supposed to be heated so we'll see how much more improved they are.

I'm curious about how that camera is attached.

In the AP 1.0 car the Camera (with a Digital Serial interface) attaches directly to the Center Console SoC (the tegra3).

In the AP 2.0 car the camera is shared, but ideally you'd want to be able to display the input from any of the cameras on the LCD. To do this you'd want to digitally transfer the image from the AP computer to the Center Console computer for display. But, I question whether the Tegre3 could do this.

So this nugget of info (which I somehow missed) makes it more likely at least to me that AP 2.0 has an upgraded Center Console Computer.

Last edited:
Timeline:
09/24 order placed with Fremont factory delivery, model X 90D, 6 seat, ap 1.0
09/30 loan application filed(before the rate bump, :)
10/01 order confirmed
10/02 VIN assigned 23xxx
11/07 building starts
11/12 production finishes
11/22 delivery scheduled
11/23 pick up(with the original loan rate)

I mostly followed the delivery check list but I didn't find any flaw, maybe I'm just careless.

The car is built with AP 2.0 hardware but I didn't opt in EAP yet. At this point it doesn't make any difference either since only non adaptive cruise control is working. And in general I don't trust a software delivery promise, ;)

Will upload some pics soon, but honestly I don't think there is any difference between the other PICs you can find online.

Congrats, I placed my order 10/1, still in production for 10 days now. You mentioned loan application filed before the rate bump, are you saying you still got the same rate from alliant? They told me my rate expired after 30 days. Please let me know. Thanks.

Ah, I didn't realize they were going to share that camera. No wonder I've never seen a pic of it. :p

Well that's going to make my biggest concern really easy to confirm. That is that I've found that camera (in an AP 1.0 car) to be absolutely worthless in the rain. The new ones are supposed to be heated so we'll see how much more improved they are.

I'm curious about how that camera is attached.

In the AP 1.0 car the Camera (with a Digital Serial interface) attaches directly to the Center Console SoC (the tegra3).

In the AP 2.0 car the camera is shared, but ideally you'd want to be able to display the input from any of the cameras on the LCD. To do this you'd want to digitally transfer the image from the AP computer to the Center Console computer for display. But, I question whether the Tegre3 could do this.

So this nugget of info (which I somehow missed) makes it more likely at least to me that AP 2.0 has an upgraded Center Console Computer.
Elon has already stated a faster MCU was not part of the AP 2.0, and that the AP system is separate. I'm sure though, that they will fix that in the future because Elon has hinted they will change the OS and make it faster, and if they continue in that direction eventually the MCU will receive an upgrade.

Check this out: New MCU computer in AP2.0 cars?

Elon has already stated a faster MCU was not part of the AP 2.0, and that the AP system is separate. I'm sure though, that they will fix that in the future because Elon has hinted they will change the OS and make it faster, and if they continue in that direction eventually the MCU will receive an upgrade.

Check this out: New MCU computer in AP2.0 cars?

Thanks.

The benchmarks confirm that it hasn't been updated at any time in the life of the Model S. That's pretty disappointing to say the least. So many things outside of AP is reliant on it. I don't see how they can develop a really good navigation system (which is critical for FSD) with the Tegra3 processing capability.

I haven't heard of an OS change. I know a browser change is supposedly going to be released "soonish" (according to Elon Musk), but I've never seen anywhere that the OS will change.

Thank you for the picture, the new(ish) rear camera does indeed show improvement in optics. I guess in "automatic mode" the camera uses a different wavelength for operation as they seem to otherwise be in black and white (and perhaps red)... (But lack of rear radar certainly seems like a genuine concern to me.)

Any chance of a sideview of the second row with the floor showing, to see the recent changes in the second row floor similar to this? http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/si...a-Model-X-interior-looking-into-rear-seat.jpg

Please let me know if any other angle might be helpful.

BTW, I also installed toughpro all weather floor mat and they fit well, just have a ugly look.

Attachments

• IMG_2548.jpg
    IMG_2548.jpg
    614.5 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_2552.jpg
    IMG_2552.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2546.jpg
    IMG_2546.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2547.jpg
    IMG_2547.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2549.jpg
    IMG_2549.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2550.jpg
    IMG_2550.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 120
Please let me know if any other angle might be helpful.

BTW, I also installed toughpro all weather floor mat and they fit well, just have a ugly look.
Thanks so much @keytalker for being such a good sport and helping us determine what is different with the 2nd row. Can you please measure the carpet opening under one of the 2nd row seats? I'd like to know how long that oval opening is and compare it to an older VIN vehicle. I'm wondering if Tesla changed the seat's range. While you're at it, how about measuring the width of the oval too. I don't think they changed the thickness, but you never know.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Thanks so much @keytalker for being such a good sport and helping us determine what is different with the 2nd row. Can you please measure the carpet opening under one of the 2nd row seats? I'd like to know how long that oval opening is and compare it to an older VIN vehicle. I'm wondering if Tesla changed the seat's range. While you're at it, how about measuring the width of the oval too. I don't think they changed the thickness, but you never know.

Measurements of the location of the oval would be interesting too. Has it moved?

vandacca, does it look like more flush (less deep) in the new car compared to the oval in your car? In some of the photos online the oval seems much deeper (like a small drop) compared to what it looks like in kaytalker's new car (when one mentally discounts the carpets). Maybe it is just the photos...

Measurements of the location of the oval would be interesting too. Has it moved?

vandacca, does it look like more flush (less deep) in the new car compared to the oval in your car? In some of the photos online the oval seems much deeper (like a small drop) compared to what it looks like in kaytalker's new car (when one mentally discounts the carpets). Maybe it is just the photos...
I can't tell if there is a difference in depth from the photos. Seems the same to me, but I currently have my Weathertech mats installed.

I can't see why a change in depth would prevent the existing mats not to work with newer models. I would expect there to be a geometry change in the pedestals. These are the geometry changes I can think of:
- More narrow pedestal (mine are around 7" wide)
- change in range of motion (either longer range or reduced range). Mine are around 23" long
- Slight change in location of pedestal (interesting)

With regards to the slight change in the location of pedestals, I can't imagine that happening in a 7-seat configuration because there just isn't any room. However, if Tesla decided to discontinue the 7-seat version, then there would be a huge advantage in moving the pedestals towards each other slightly. That way you don't feel like you're being pressed next to the door.

They could then add a 3rd row with the new folding bench seat to keep a 7-seat option. The only issue with that is that they would need to fold the bench up somehow to allow people into the 3rd row.

vandacca: OK, thank you. I guess the photos are just doing tricks in my eyes on depth...

Regarding placement, I guess one more option would be that six-seater has different seat placement than the seven-seater, slightly closer to the middle. This would probably require some adjustment to the floor structure (like two different attachment points for outer seats on six/seven seaters) but implementing such a change while doing the five-seater certainly could be possible.

That said, it does not look that different - location-wise - to me in the photos.