Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just read CT delayed to end of 2022. I so 2023!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just learned where I am on the waiting list (~80k). There's probably over a year's number of potential CT owners ahead of me. I'm sure the giga factory will eventually pump them out and maybe half the reservations will decline to fill orders. Maybe in a couple of years it'll all come to pass.
Is that your total number? When did you reserve? I reserved six days after the announcement and my total number is 233,314.
However, my number for the TRI-MOTOR is 90,124.

I have noted that TESLA has really gone to selling the expensive models first and I am sure the first vehicles off the line with be the TRI-MOTOR.
Look at the Y. None available until Nov 22, except the Performance is available in Feb (Mine is on order for then with the tax credit).
Look at the S and the X. Not available until 2023, but you can get the PLAID S in December 2021.

Is that your total number? When did you reserve? I reserved six days after the announcement and my total number is 233,314.
However, my number for the TRI-MOTOR is 90,124.

I have noted that TESLA has really gone to selling the expensive models first and I am sure the first vehicles off the line with be the TRI-MOTOR.
Look at the Y. None available until Nov 22, except the Performance is available in Feb (Mine is on order for then with the tax credit).
Look at the S and the X. Not available until 2023, but you can get the PLAID S in December 2021.

I can't remember when. It seemed to be shortly after the presentation - maybe the next morning? I had thought my CT reserve info was gone for good until I recently placed an order for a MYLR and discovered the CT was listed in my account. 80k is the difference between my RN and the assumed starting #. It sounds like Musk has some significant CT motor configuration changes.

Reactions: Fairchild and Ogre
Hopefully that means each existing pre-order gets an extra motor "free".
Which would explain why Tesla.com took details off the order page (aka "canceled the cheap model" and other misinterpretations): once they knew of a substantial change to the design (shifting 1/2/3 motors to 2/3/4, etc), it would be irresponsible to leave the old design details out there on the order page, but they weren't ready to release the new details.

That's what they have always done, so I wouldn't say they have "gone to" that method, implying that they weren't doing that before.
They didn't have PLAID before and they didn't do it with LUDICROUS.
You are talking about something completely different that doesn't apply. You are talking about things where the car is already being built and sold in some versions already right now, and then they announce some new upcoming variant they are adding later. No, OBVIOUSLY they can't go back in time and offer that new variant FIRST. The existing ones are already out. It came out later, after the regular versions were already being sold. I and the other people in this thread were talking about a new model that is announced, where they will have a few types of it, and they have ALWAYS made and sold the fancier expensive versions as the first ones.

Lots of assumptions flying around and passed off as truth or inevitable.

The only actual information added to the pile today is that there will be a 4 motor variant and it will be released first.

What we don’t know:
  • If other changes to the lineup have been made.
  • If it’s replacing or a new option above the tri motor config.
  • If this affects pricing on existing models or what the price of the quad motor will look like.
  • The fate of the single motor variant.
There has been no indication the timeline is moved so I think they are still on track to get production started in 2022 but we should have more info at the earnings call next month.

Lots of assumptions flying around and passed off as truth or inevitable.

The only actual information added to the pile today is that there will be a 4 motor variant and it will be released first.

What we don’t know:
  • If other changes to the lineup have been made.
  • If it’s replacing or a new option above the tri motor config.
  • If this affects pricing on existing models or what the price of the quad motor will look like.
  • The fate of the single motor variant.
There has been no indication the timeline is moved so I think they are still on track to get production started in 2022 but we should have more info at the earnings call next month.
I can give you another truth, they aren’t making all four variants.

Reactions: HellsKitchen
Elon said in his interview with the WSJ that "volume" production won't happen until 2023...reiterating what was said a couple months ago.

What Tesla never discloses is how much they expect "volume" production to be. 50k/year? 250k/year?

And who knows how long the "ramp" will take from initial production to whatever the goal is for "volume."

• Disagree
Reactions: mark95476
Elon said in his interview with the WSJ that "volume" production won't happen until 2023...reiterating what was said a couple months ago.

What Tesla never discloses is how much they expect "volume" production to be. 50k/year? 250k/year?

And who knows how long the "ramp" will take from initial production to whatever the goal is for "volume."
Musk said previously “Volume” will be at least 250-300k+; I suspect he was sandbagging myself, but that is a reasonable assumption of what the baseline will be.

Right now they are in theory still starting production end of 2022 and slowly ramping up to that number.

Musk said previously “Volume” will be at least 250-300k+; I suspect he was sandbagging myself, but that is a reasonable assumption of what the baseline will be.

Right now they are in theory still starting production end of 2022 and slowly ramping up to that number.
Ah, I missed that. He did add the "probably" qualifier so...who knows.

Musk also said he thinks the CT will be the best vehicle Tesla has ever produced related to having so many new features.
Musk says a lot of things that aren't true.

You are talking about something completely different that doesn't apply. You are talking about things where the car is already being built and sold in some versions already right now, and then they announce some new upcoming variant they are adding later. No, OBVIOUSLY they can't go back in time and offer that new variant FIRST. The existing ones are already out. It came out later, after the regular versions were already being sold. I and the other people in this thread were talking about a new model that is announced, where they will have a few types of it, and they have ALWAYS made and sold the fancier expensive versions as the first ones.

Yes. ALWAYS.
New York (CNN Business) Tesla has not built any of its two most expensive cars -- the Model S and Model X -- so far this year.
Even so, the automaker still managed to produce a record number of cars in its most recent quarter, as it built 180,338 of the Model 3 sedan and Model Y SUV, both of which were less expensive models that made up nearly 90% of the company's overall sales in 2020.

Example:
Musk originally announced that Tesla would be producing the dual-motor CYBRTRK first (FYI, that is was not the most expensive one). I ordered Dual-motor because I wanted the CYBRTRK first. He later "moved to" announcing that the Dual and Tri-motors would be produced first. Some speculated that it was due to new battery constraints. Knowing that price drives the train, that is when I changed my order to a Tri-motor. And yes, then he announced that the Tri-motor would be produced first. Then Tesla removed all motor and pricing options from the website. And, of course. last week Musk announced that the first CYBRTRK produced would be the Quad Motor (largely so the vehicle could crab-walk like the competition. He doesn't like to be outdone.)

But, then again, I am sure you ALWAYS speak with Elon prior to making your posts.

I know everybody has difficult days, but what's the rub? Parsing of words is in itself arrogant at best, but inaccurately doing so, I daresay is sanctimonious.
Please focus on contributing something meaningful to this forum.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: UCF3 and Rocky_H