Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

K-MTG (Captain Sunshade) - Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Their must be something still going on, the app was working but when I left and came back home (with the X). The X connected to Wi-Fi but the same issue occurred where the App wouldn't load but I can still access the internet using the web-browser. So, I turned on/off the Wi-Fi a couple of times on the X and rebooted the garage access point and now the X seems to work. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, an issue still exist but I can't find a solution. I posted all of my Wi-Fi settings with sensitive information blurred out, would appreciate it if a tech expert like @ohmman or @systemcrashed would provide any insight. Thank you

Here are the settings
Main Router (AirPort Extreme):
Garage Airport Express (The access point the Tesla should connect to)
Note: I changed the 2.4 SSID on the garage access point so the Tesla only connects to the garage access point for the best signal.

Attached as PDF

Attachments

• Garage Airport Express.pdf
    581.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Airport Extreme.pdf
    998 KB · Views: 41
Their must be something still going on, the app was working but when I left and came back home (with the X). The X connected to Wi-Fi but the same issue occurred where the App wouldn't load but I can still access the internet using the web-browser. So, I turned on/off the Wi-Fi a couple of times on the X and rebooted the garage access point and now the X seems to work. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, an issue still exist but I can't find a solution. I posted all of my Wi-Fi settings with sensitive information blurred out, would appreciate it if a tech expert like @ohmman or @systemcrashed would provide any insight. Thank you

Here are the settings
Main Router (AirPort Extreme):
Garage Airport Express (The access point the Tesla should connect to)
Note: I changed the 2.4 SSID on the garage access point so the Tesla only connects to the garage access point for the best signal.

Attached as PDF
This is starting to sound like a connection-keep-alive issue. Several apps and services which need to have prompt status reporting and command issuance have client server pair maintaining an active keep-alive mechanism like a AYT-IAH (Are you There - I Am Here request response) over a TCP connection/tunnel to keep the ports and connection operational. Sometimes the routers in between would terminate the TCP connection after a certain TTL (time to live) of inactivity. To avoid such terminations, clients can have a lower than TTL placeholder/dummy pings sent to the server. It has been a while since I discarded my Apple router ecosytem (Airport Extreme + Airport Express like you) for something superior so I am unable to check those menu settings right now.
In this explanation above, the client is the Tesla App. I'll think some more to see if I can figure this out. Have you seen this happen on LTE?

This is starting to sound like a connection-keep-alive issue. Several apps and services which need to have prompt status reporting and command issuance have client server pair maintaining an active keep-alive mechanism like a AYT-IAH (Are you There - I Am Here request response) over a TCP connection/tunnel to keep the ports and connection operational. Sometimes the routers in between would terminate the TCP connection after a certain TTL (time to live) of inactivity. To avoid such terminations, clients can have a lower than TTL placeholder/dummy pings sent to the server. It has been a while since I discarded my Apple router ecosytem (Airport Extreme + Airport Express like you) for something superior so I am unable to check those menu settings right now.
In this explanation above, the client is the Tesla App. I'll think some more to see if I can figure this out. Have you seen this happen on LTE?

No issues on LTE or if I hotspot from my iPhone. The weird thing is sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I disabled IPv6 and messed with a bunch of settings but still couldn't get it to work. Very frustrating, I have a bunch of devices on my network from Nest thermostats, to smartphones, to home automation devices and never had any networking issues with them. Even my drop cam's never complain, very strange that the Tesla is having issues. It seems that it uses a VPN to communicate with the app, I am running OS X server that also has a VPN server, can that be interfering? However, the Tesla uses a different port (1194).

At this point I will just stick with the LTE, any downsides of doing so?

Do me a favor @K-MTG. Change all the router channels from Automatic to a specific number. If you have a lot of WiFi access points in your area, then it makes a difference what you choose, but if you're only dealing with the ones in your control, then spread them apart as far as possible. e.g. If you have 3 radios, use 1, 9, 15. At the very least, try to go with either even or odd channels so that there is at least a gap between all chosen channels. Let me know if that works for you. It did wonders for my home.

Do me a favor @K-MTG. Change all the router channels from Automatic to a specific number. If you have a lot of WiFi access points in your area, then it makes a difference what you choose, but if you're only dealing with the ones in your control, then spread them apart as far as possible. e.g. If you have 3 radios, use 1, 9, 15. At the very least, try to go with either even or odd channels so that there is at least a gap between all chosen channels. Let me know if that works for you. It did wonders for my home.

Will give that a shot, I wonder if their is a specific channel the X likes. However, based on analyzing my network it seems that the airport setup does a good job of adjusting channels accordingly

It's hi and low. I don't think there is an off. In the video you can only see the under light in dim mode. The other is hard to see in video.
The “Ambient” button toggles between High (gray/off) and Relative (blue/on) (my words). When the Ambient button is blue, then changes to the Display brightness slider, either automatic or manual, changes the intensity of the ambient lights.

This should not matter at all IMHO. Router channels is a physical access layer consideration and he is not rreporting any internet data connectivity issues. So it has to be at the application layer wherein the Tesla App is unable to maintain port connectivity to the Tesla server which in turn relays commands and status back and forth from the model X which registers to the Tesla server and maintains active registration.
Edit: what you said is perfectly fine and a good advice for improving wifi interference from neighbors and other ISM band devices like cordless phones and microwaves and even shoplights. But he has apple base stations which are all dual band 2.4/5 Ghz capable and on 5 GhZ channel selection can be done automatically by the base station based on SNR(signal to noise) type measurements.

Last edited:
I say dump IPv6 and go to IPv4. I bet it's related.
Yes this could likely be the cause. Most wirelessWAN (mobile) networks have XLAT to take care of services and apps talking across IPv4/IPv6 interfaces by doing necessary translations. Thats why I asked him if he saw this on LTE or not. I don't expect him to see any issues on LTE due to XLAT being present whereas his WiFi router + ISP combination could be disrupting connectivity with failed v4 v6 translations.

Dear Mr. Sunshade Captain,

I was also very concerned about the radiant heat from the large front windshield, especially since I live in the super hot Central Valley where it is regularly over 100 degrees. I almost didn't by the MX because my Jetta pano is so hot in the summer that I have to put mirrored bubble wrap over it. Today it was 94' and I couldn't believe it, but I did not feel the slightest heat from the MX windshield. The AC was set at auto and it didn't have to work very hard at all to keep the car perfectly cool... in never went beyond half fan speed. In addition the sun visor which I thought was over engineered and ineffective turned out the be an engineering marvel. When I drove to work the early morning sun was just above where the sun visor sits in the magnetic holder, but what I did not realize is the sun visor rotates 90 degrees upward so wherever the sun is, you can move the visor to block the sun. When I bought the MX, I thought I would need to design some sort of sun shade to deal with the glare and heat, but now I don't think I need anything. When I park my MX in the sun next to my Jetta, the Jetta is significantly hotter than the MX, so I have concluded that Tesla fully considered the heat issue and engineered the car very well to handle it. No sunshade needed!!!

Signed,
Cool in Chico

While I generally agree on the sunshade being unnecessary, I measured the windshield glass at 126F the other day (admittedly with my IR gun, which isn't extremely accurate on transparent and reflective surfaces). Either way, the heat certainly radiated into the car. I don't think an inside-mounted sunshade fixes this, though, unless it's insulating. Kind of like putting your blinds down when it's hot outside. It's a bit too late when the light has already made it into your space.

Picked up my car today. Scottsdale. They gave me 4 sunshades.

Just kidding- no sunshade- one guys said you have to buy it separately. DS said it will be shipped to me.

Who knows when it arrives but my wife was concerned about heat from windshield. Summer is coming- will tell us the true test.

• Funny
Reactions: alseTrick
I say dump IPv6 and go to IPv4. I bet it's related.

I gave that a shot but nothing ):

At this point, I don't want to sacrifice performance on my other network devices, I have 44 always-on wifi devices on my network so reliability and performance is vital. About 100 device in total.

Just want to know if I sacrifice any features by sticking with full bars of LTE instead of b/g wifi.

My DS even wanted a sunshade after he drove the X for a while, he said he will ping HQ weekly for an update but apparently others are getting them now

At this point, I don't want to sacrifice performance on my other network devices, I have 44 always-on wifi devices on my network so reliability and performance is vital. About 100 device in total.

Just want to know if I sacrifice any features by sticking with full bars of LTE instead of b/g wifi.

My DS even wanted a sunshade after he drove the X for a while, he said he will ping HQ weekly for an update but apparently others are getting them now
I've read most of the manual by now. I think the only thing you lose is downloading updates for offline maps.

No LTE by design should have faster end to end latency compared to wifi. I won't go into details, we can take it on PM. Wifi is a shared medium and the more devices you have the worst it gets.

No LTE by design should have faster end to end latency compared to wifi. I won't go into details, we can take it on PM. Wifi is a shared medium and the more devices you have the worst it gets.

I guess so but I would assume my tesla would appreciate the gigabit Ethernet but I get full bars of LTE anyways so no big deal. How do I know if a map update is available?