Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

K-MTG (Captain Sunshade) - Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sunshade update: I don't like it. The shade is a pop-up style, made of mesh (sort of like the mesh on the pop up dirty clothes hampers I used in college). It stores well, very flat. When unfolded, it fits the windshield basically from the midline and above. I will attempt to post pictures. I did not drive with the shade on, but just sitting in the car felt that the windshield's beauty was significantly impeded. But I am definitely going to opt for a heat-rejecting film instead of relying on the shade. And answering @K-MTG second question: When traveling to Beaver Creek this weekend, I did not find the tint on the windshield to be adequate. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_6790.JPG
    IMG_6790.JPG
    323.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_6792.JPG
    IMG_6792.JPG
    595.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6794.JPG
    IMG_6794.JPG
    924.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_6795.JPG
    IMG_6795.JPG
    349.2 KB · Views: 94
Sunshade update: I don't like it. The shade is a pop-up style, made of mesh (sort of like the mesh on the pop up dirty clothes hampers I used in college). It stores well, very flat. When unfolded, it fits the windshield basically from the midline and above. I will attempt to post pictures. I did not drive with the shade on, but just sitting in the car felt that the windshield's beauty was significantly impeded. But I am definitely going to opt for a heat-rejecting film instead of relying on the shade. And answering @K-MTG second question: When traveling to Beaver Creek this weekend, I did not find the tint on the windshield to be adequate. ;)

Elon has to do better than that or else I will keep on asking.

I envision a sunshade that matches the headliner of the X that is solid NOT mesh. Otherwise, I will probably have to stick with my heatshield which is UGLY but functional, I will probably try to exchange mine with the black one so it is less of an eye-sore.

If anyone finds a reputable custom sunshade expert (as @ohmman mentioned) please let me know, the shops I contacted want to remove the current headliner and install a panel and mess with the car.

The after market 10% ceramic tint made a 95.47803% improvement now I need a sunshade that will resolve the 4.52197% (No, I didn't use a calculator).

"When one seeks a sunshade he/she can overcome anything" K-MTG

Reactions: xkwizit
Elon has to do better than that or else I will keep on asking.

I envision a sunshade that matches the headliner of the X that is solid NOT mesh. Otherwise, I will probably have to stick with my heatshield which is UGLY but functional, I will probably try to exchange mine with the black one so it is less of an eye-sore.

If anyone finds a reputable custom sunshade expert (as @ohmman mentioned) please let me know, the shops I contacted want to remove the current headliner and install a panel and mess with the car.

The after market 10% ceramic tint made a 95.47803% improvement now I need a sunshade that will resolve the 4.52197% (No, I didn't use a calculator).

"When one seeks a sunshade he/she can overcome anything" K-MTG
Is there a technical reason as to why they went with the mesh and not solid do you know? There must be a reason :confused:

If anyone finds a reputable custom sunshade expert
You know, depending on the X sales numbers, there might be a market for a certain sunshade captain to be the sunshade expert. Surely there are people on this forum who can put you in touch with manufacturing contacts. I'd like mine recessed in the headliner and built as a retractable draw-shade, please.

@ohmman - that's my ideal sunshade you describe. and I don't see any reason for it to be difficult to produce for a commercial place. Three suction cups to hold it in place near the headliner and a spring loaded roller mechanism that allows you to pull it to desired length. The only tough issue I see is it sagging because it's a huge windshield but if you split it into a driver side and passenger side rollers that should work.

You know, depending on the X sales numbers, there might be a market for a certain sunshade captain to be the sunshade expert. Surely there are people on this forum who can put you in touch with manufacturing contacts. I'd like mine recessed in the headliner and built as a retractable draw-shade, please.
Gotta check the Wife-Approval-Factor when we get our X -- she's nervous about the windshield, and never opens the cover to the moon roof on our current vehicle. Assuming she doesn't like the light, I'd much rather pay for a sunshade as you describe than be putting up and down the cheap mesh one that's included.

I will continue to seek sunshades, the sunshade you descried would make me "happy"

I will continue to seek sunshades, the sunshade you descried would make me "happy"
The best and most classy option IMHO was an electrochromic coating which almost completely blocks out light and radiated heat, as an add on layer aside from the graduating tint. Much like that on the 777 Dreamliner and the office glass walls Elon shows in one of the interviews. This would have also jazzed up the already over-engineered X a notch further.

Reactions: ksquared
Any solution to prevent things in the trunk from hitting the back of the 2nd row seat or sliding into the 2nd row (6 seat configure) when the 3rd row of seats are folded down.

Is their something like a cargo net or something that blocks the items from rolling around?

I was thinking, you could take the stock Tesla sunshade to a tailor/anyone with sewing skills and ask them to replace the mesh with whatever solid/reflective fabric you want. Seems like it'd be an easy job and then the fit would be correct.

If the items are small, you can put the false floor in at the "angle" setting and just put everything in the well. If not, you might want to consider something like this.

Placed my order for the one you got (extra large). How do you like it now that you have spent more time with it? Can you leave it on all the time or will it interfere when one is sitting in the 2nd row. My 3rd row is rarely used so it will remain down.

Placed my order for the one you got (extra large). How do you like it now that you have spent more time with it? Can you leave it on all the time or will it interfere when one is sitting in the 2nd row. My 3rd row is rarely used so it will remain down.

I have the same one I believe XL, works great. If I'm not using it I fold and put it below the shelf in the trunk with mobile connector.

Reactions: K-MTG