Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

K-MTG (Captain Sunshade) - Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did you know a map update was available or that it was update?
I had an alert on my display.

You should try searching for (in quotes): "map update" in all forums up in the search. You'll find lots of info like this post that implies map updates don't require wifi. You also might want to search for wifi problems - people have had issues with the S as well.

Reactions: K-MTG
Felt like attempting to connect wifi and it worked, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Hopefully when my X leaves and returns home the connection will remain.

It seems that a new firmware update came out? Is that correct

Felt like attempting to connect wifi and it worked, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Hopefully when my X leaves and returns home the connection will remain.

Im pretty sure its a timer related issue on the App by now. If you connect before the timer expires it will work. If there has been no activity on the app (and hence the associated port) the router must be terminating the connection over that port by closing the port. The next time you see this problem over wifi, could you try to terminate/close the Tesla App and restart it to see if it reopens the same or different port and tries to connect to the Tesla Server and therefore the X. Often the phone OS also does something like this for background services especially on iOS. A good way to reproduce this issue might be to let the app be onnected over Wifi overnight and try to access the X first thing in the morning.
If you are on Android you would need to terminate the background service, killing the app wont suffice.

Im pretty sure its a timer related issue on the App by now. If you connect before the timer expires it will work. If there has been no activity on the app (and hence the associated port) the router must be terminating the connection over that port by closing the port. The next time you see this problem over wifi, could you try to terminate/close the Tesla App and restart it to see if it reopens the same or different port and tries to connect to the Tesla Server and therefore the X. Often the phone OS also does something like this for background services especially on iOS. A good way to reproduce this issue might be to let the app be onnected over Wifi overnight and try to access the X first thing in the morning.
If you are on Android you would need to terminate the background service, killing the app wont suffice.

Hmm, I don't fully understand.

In my attempts to troubleshoot, I created a DCHP reservation on the main router (AirPort Extreme) at 10.0.1.120 based on the Mac Address of the X. I also forwarded UDP ports 1194 and 22 as recommend on other threads.

If I load the app when the Tesla is on LTE it works just fine, if I close the app and open up the app when the Tesla is on Wi-Fi it won't work (most of the time) and the same issue persist. I have an iPhone, I attempted closing the app and reopening it but that didn't solve any connection issues.

Since my X is currently on Wi-Fi and the app works, it will remain connected and work properly unless I leave home and comeback and from their onwards if I am lucky it will work if I am not it won't work.

Any other ports I should forward? How do I know which port it uses? Sometimes it works when the Tesla is connected directly to the main router over Wi-Fi or the garage access point. If I go ahead and turn off the wifi currently on the X and turn it back on, most likely the app won't work anymore and I will probably have to play around with the wifi by connecting/disconnecting a couple of times to get it to work.

My ISP is ATT and I have their gateway/router device, I just put the gateway in DMZ mode for the airport extreme so it supplies a public IP and for the extreme so the Airport Extreme can take care of all of the DCHP and NAT for me, as I use OS X Server on my Mac Mini it takes care of all of the port forwarding for me

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 5.14.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 5.14.08 PM.png
    195.2 KB · Views: 74
Good news! I went for a drive came back the car connected to the wifi and the app still works!!! Perhaps forwarding port 22 did the trick? Hopefully the issue has been resolved.

It didn't last, the Tesla is messing with my emotions. It just shows walking car now

Update: actually it worked after letting the app wake the car for a minute even though I have always connected check and energy saver off

Please turn off DHCP on you Garage airport express, this will allow the AirPort Extreme to be the only router to serve the car an IP address, what you are experiencing sounds like an IP conflict.

@K-MTG Congrats on getting your X. I am sure all the teething problems will sort out soon. I heard through reliable sources that your sunshade is waiting on Elon's desk for his personal autograph. Apparently they have Elon's photo printed on your sunshade as a token of appreciation for you ;)
I can't tell if you're joking or you really do have inside information. I'm pretty sure it's the former, but I could totally see Elon doing this as a surprise. Tesla monitors the forums pretty closely - I'm sure they know who the sunshade captain is.

I can't tell if you're joking or you really do have inside information. I'm pretty sure it's the former, but I could totally see Elon doing this as a surprise. Tesla monitors the forums pretty closely - I'm sure they know who the sunshade captain is.

When I wrote it, I intended it as a joke, but when I thought about it realized it is quite possible - hence the voting thread. Please vote your support.

Reactions: WABarb
More likely, Elon will send a letter saying... "I carefully engineered the MX to stay cooler than the average car even when sitting in the blaring heat, so no sunshade for you" :D It is supposed to be 100°+ in Chico all week.... 110° forecast for Saturday, I will do a temperature comparison between my MX and some ICE cars and report back.