TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Kangaroos and driverless cars

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Tozla, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Tozla

Tozla Member

The very Australian problem of roos and driverless cars

Apparently kangaroos are going to pose a problem with the way the car detects them in mid flight.

I must say on a recent trip to took from Melbourne to Canberra and back I saw many kangaroo carcasses on the side of the road and was very worried one would jump out of the bushes and damage my shiny new car.

2. BrettS

BrettS Member

It’s an interesting problem and I suspect that it may affect more than kangaroos. There are no kangaroos here, but I have lived in areas with a lot of deer and they tend to jump quite a bit as well and would likely have the same issues.

3. strykeroz

strykeroz Member

EAP might need an Australian edition which will to know how to avoid skippies, wombats, emus, pigs, goats, foxes, deer, emu, camels, wedgies and many flavours of cattle both domesticated and ferral...yet swerve to run over cane toads if it's to successfully replace drivers on this big brown island.

4. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member

I can assure you one of those carcasses wont jump out in front of your car!

5. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member

Kangaroos are not the only problem, Emu's change direction at the last moment also... image.jpeg Cattle think they own the road..... image.jpeg The Sheep are okay, they just lean up against a post and chill out while you drive past... image.jpeg but if you stumble across one of these blokes damage to your car is the least to worry about.... image.jpeg

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  6. stphw

stphw Member

• Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
  7. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

Fortunately the Tesla is too fast to have to worry about Drop Bears.

• Funny x 1
  8. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

You forgot devils. Stunning to see how much roadkill there is in Tassie.

9. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

So I see the Onion has competition.

I'm not sure anything can be done about this problem. If something is going to run or jump in front of your vehicle as you're driving down the highway I doubt any system can prevent a collision. White-tailed deer can jump 15 feet high and no deer fences are that high -- not that we can fence all the highways in Canada. Wildlife overpasses help, like this one...

001_RBI-image-JOC050487I01.jpg

Canada’s first overpass for animals appeared on the Coquihalla Highway more than 30 years ago. It was ground breaking at the time, but the practice has evolved. “It is an element of highway design today,” Czernick said. He added that it’s especially important when constructing highways, where speed is a factor and a collision with any large animal can prove fatal for both parties.

10. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member

• Informative x 1