Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep the DAMN car running please!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
p.s. X owners have a lot to learn from the S owner experience and postings, lots can be found over in the S forums about interface... for features that are the same or similar between cars.
As an owner of both vehicles, I can agree with you. However, what you are missing is that in the Model X, the door will close on your leg when you press the brake pedal. Not everything works cross-platform.

Reactions: scottf200
Beautiful! Another way the X can close on your limbs. Suppose you hit the pedal by mistake getting out of the car and you're only half out... telling me it's going to close the door on me?

Can you turn the auto close door thingy off on the X?

I probably would... Not a thing I'd want having to get out of the way of my own car because it wants to do something and I'm the inconvenience for its plan.

Last edited:
Beautiful! Another way the X can close on your limbs. Suppose you hit the pedal by mistake getting out of the car and you're only half out... telling me it's going to close the door on me?

Can you turn the auto close door thingy off on the X?

I probably would... Not a thing I'd want having to get out of the way of my own car because it wants to do something and I'm the inconvenience for its plan.
If you're a Cirque du Soleil performer, this might be an issue. I can't imagine the contortion necessary to have one leg out and one leg on the brake pedal with enough force to register a closure.

I'm not in love with automatic front doors, but my wariness involves opening more than it does closing. Closing has been a surprisingly handy addition to the car, and one I use every time I enter the vehicle. It hasn't ever felt risky in any way.

I also haven't had issues with the X closing on my limbs. But I rarely do cartwheels while I'm opening and closing doors... :)

Reactions: scottf200
I can't imagine the contortion necessary to have one leg out and one leg on the brake pedal with enough force to register a closure.

I don't think we're thinking the same thing.
This is not a contortion, here's the sequence pretty much every time I get out of my S:

Put car in Park. Open door with left hand, push to open. Right hand on steering wheel. Begin butt pivot as left leg searches for ground. Pushing against steering wheel to assist lift. Left leg leaves the cockpit searching for ground with more downward force now put on steering wheel as butt is completed lifting. *At this point I have one leg (left) out and one leg (right) with foot still in the footwell, near the brake pedal.* Right leg comes out searching for ground. Finished pushing and now standing up. Homo erectus!

The right foot hitting (only the force of a tap is needed) on the brake pedal after the butt has lifted from the seat is entirely possible and easy to do. If that brake light comes one, it's all it takes to keep the car alive. Some Model S owners discovered this my mistake and were surprised when the car was not shutting off. Happy accident I say, as a way for wanting to keep the car alive.

I can willingly do this now as one swift motion while exiting, or not. My choice.

And I'm not a contortionist. In fact, I'm going to an exercise class tonight called "Yoga for Stiff Guys". I kid you not.

I don't think we're thinking the same thing.
This is not a contortion, here's the sequence pretty much every time I get out of my S:

Put car in Park. Open door with left hand, push to open. Right hand on steering wheel. Begin butt pivot as left leg searches for ground. Pushing against steering wheel to assist lift. Left leg leaves the cockpit searching for ground with more downward force now put on steering wheel as butt is completed lifting. *At this point I have one leg (left) out and one leg (right) with foot still in the footwell, near the brake pedal.* Right leg comes out searching for ground. Finished pushing and now standing up. Homo erectus!

The right foot hitting (only the force of a tap is needed) on the brake pedal after the butt has lifted from the seat is entirely possible and easy to do. If that brake light comes one, it's all it takes to keep the car alive. Some Model S owners discovered this my mistake and were surprised when the car was not shutting off. Happy accident I say, as a way for wanting to keep the car alive.

I can willingly do this now as one swift motion while exiting, or not. My choice.

And I'm not a contortionist. In fact, I'm going to an exercise class tonight called "Yoga for Stiff Guys". I kid you not.
OK. I went out and tried in my X and the loaner S. In the S, I can do this. In the X, because it's higher off of the ground, I cannot. I suspect if you're over about 6'2" or so, it might be easier/possible. It's a different geometry all around, though.

I also verified that the door will close with the same light "brake light" tap. I was wondering it required a "turn the car on" brake press, which is deeper, but that's not the case.

In the end, the door stops if it hits you either way. It's just not something you want to do in order to keep the car on. Tapping the screen is your best bet in the X.

OK. I went out and tried in my X and the loaner S. In the S, I can do this. In the X, because it's higher off of the ground, I cannot. I suspect if you're over about 6'2" or so, it might be easier/possible. It's a different geometry all around, though.

I also verified that the door will close with the same light "brake light" tap. I was wondering it required a "turn the car on" brake press, which is deeper, but that's not the case.

In the end, the door stops if it hits you either way. It's just not something you want to do in order to keep the car on. Tapping the screen is your best bet in the X.
I also think the problem is that the X is way more automated than the S. If it doesn't detect weight on the seat, it may shut off anyway. In fact, it (environmental controls) regularly shuts down when I leave the vehicle with my wife in the passenger seat (holding the key). I have to turn it on from my phone app to keep her happy.

I also think the problem is that the X is way more automated than the S. If it doesn't detect weight on the seat, it may shut off anyway. In fact, it (environmental controls) regularly shuts down when I leave the vehicle with my wife in the passenger seat (holding the key). I have to turn it on from my phone app to keep her happy.
Again, just have her tap the screen within a few seconds of it going blank. The car will turn back on for 30 minutes. That's what this thread is about.. :)

Again, just have her tap the screen within a few seconds of it going blank. The car will turn back on for 30 minutes. That's what this thread is about.. :)
I've been trying to make her understand that this is a totally automated vehicle. It took me forever to train her not to manually close the doors. I dare not give her any additional complicated instructions...best if I just do it from the app. o_O

I've been trying to make her understand that this is a totally automated vehicle. It took me forever to train her not to manually close the doors. I dare not give her any additional complicated instructions...best if I just do it from the app. o_O
In your case, you can just put it in Park. Then use the E-Brake which will automatically put it in neutral. This should leave the car on without you interfering. I used this when I left a friends older mother in the car as we went in to get her prescription.

Aside: Unfortunately I can use this trick at a campground because it wouldn't let you charge while in this "mode".

Reactions: vandacca
Just tell everyone at the campsite that you're using a perpetual motion generator to self-charge the car. The compressor is generating a strong enough air current to rotate a fan that powers an alternator to recharge the batteries. They'll understand.;)

Wonder if we can use it while charging (i.e. at a campground).

m.twitter.com/elonmusk
@elonmusk: My favorite new feature is the always-on max temp control for keeping kids and pets safe from overheating.
@elonmusk: Tesla keeps temp below 40C/105F by automatically venting cabin & turning on AC when needed. Can do this for up to a year on a full charge.

m.twitter.com/elonmusk
@elonmusk: My favorite new feature is the always-on max temp control for keeping kids and pets safe from overheating.
@elonmusk: Tesla keeps temp below 40C/105F by automatically venting cabin & turning on AC when needed. Can do this for up to a year on a full charge.

I'd imagine the vampire drain would kill the car before that year expired.

m.twitter.com/elonmusk

Beaten to the punch!
IMG_3371.jpg